Disability, General

Social Security and the VA, Working Together for Our Heroes

March 7, 2016 • By

Reading Time: 2 Minutes

Last Updated: August 19, 2021

silhouette of a soldier standing in front of the american flag and saluting,  Social Security honors those who have served in the U.S. military. We recognize the sacrifices these Americans made while serving our country. Often, their dedication comes at the expense of significant and lasting effects on themselves and their families.

Social Security provides expedited processing of disability benefit applications for wounded warriors and veterans with a U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) compensation rating of 100% Permanent & Total (P&T).

While both Social Security and the VA pay disability benefits to qualifying individuals, the criteria for awarding benefits is not the same. Even if you have a VA compensation rating of 100% P&T, you will need to meet the strict definition of disability set out by the Social Security Act to receive Social Security disability benefits. Social Security pays benefits to people with a severe medical condition expected to last at least one year or to result in death, while preventing you from performing substantial work.

To receive expedited processing as a veteran rated 100% P&T, you must first apply for Social Security benefits. You can apply online or call our toll-free number, 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778). You can also visit your local Social Security office to apply in person.

You must identify yourself as a “Veteran rated 100% P&T.” If you apply in person or over the phone, tell the Social Security representative that you are a veteran rated 100% P&T. If you apply online, enter “Veteran 100% P&T” in the “Remarks” section of the application. You must also provide Social Security with your Veterans Affairs notification letter that verifies your rating.

Social Security will expedite your claim through the application process, and any appeals level, if necessary. Veterans Affairs compensation will not affect your Social Security benefits.

We are grateful to our veterans for their dedication to this country, and we are committed to providing veterans and wounded warriors with high quality public service. For more information, please visit https://www.socialsecurity.gov/people/veterans/

Tags: ,

See Comments

About the Author

Jim Borland, Assistant Deputy Commissioner, Communications

Jim Borland, Assistant Deputy Commissioner, Communications


  1. Noiree P.

    Is it an income for the va the social security pension of a child?

  2. derasachse

    Richard Bonebrake, a veteran, is currently living in the Hillcrest Village nursing home, Jeffersonville, IN. He has a balance owed to the VA for prescriptions and is now being garnished from his social security check. The nursing home receives his check but must give him a maximum of $50 a month for personal expenses. Hillcrest now claims the garnishment cannot come from their part of his check and will now take away his allowance to pay for this for the next 2 years. Sucks to be a vet!

  3. leonidas d.

    my AGI for 2016

  4. leonidas d.

    I need to know my AGI for 2016 asap thnks

  5. Harry E.

    I understand that there is a program for veterans who served between 1957 and 2001 that would provide an extra $100.00 per month in their Social Security check if they show proof of service with a DD214 form. I would like more information about this.

  6. Richard W.

    does my military retirement count in as extra income I can make above the social security payment I receive? I know I can make an additional $16,676 dollars above my social security, will my military retirement check be deducted from the $16,676

  7. Shereekie

    Of one is determined 100% disabled with PTSD can the AS A request a separate evaluation

  8. Bill B.

    As the combat related special compensation ambassador I have presented this much needed information to veterans and their families in South Georgia and North Florida.

    • Shereekie

      Can social security office request you to see another Dr if VA have determined you as 100% permanently disabled and unemployable?

  9. Bobby R.

    I am getting a bill from the VA every time I go to the VA or to any other provider out side the VA. Can Medicare help me with these cost?

  10. Cathie G.

    I am writing on behalf of a veteran of the Viet Nam War, Rusty Nelson. He is crippled, his knee replacements are so bad. He will end up in a VA home, in a wheel chair before long if he doesn’t get a redo on his knees. He is vital, in good shape and not only needs to work but as a veteran continues to and is willing, given his deteriorating joints. In our armed forces we train to be tough, always to say “yes sir” and believe whatever they are told. Well this is a case of the veteran being too devoted. He needs an advocate and I am his.
    He has been told he isn’t entitled to social security and Medicare if he utilizes his VA benefits.
    I am here to help find all the assistance available to him, because he deserves it.

    • Ray F.

      Hi Cathie. Unfortunately and because of security reasons we do not have access to personal records in this venue. One of our representatives should be able to provide your friend with an explanation and answer his questions about this matter. He can call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Generally, there may be a shorter wait time, if you call later in the week. Thanks.

Comments are closed.