Sign up for Medicare Part B Online, by Fax or Mail

August 6, 2020 • By

Last Updated: August 6, 2020

For many people, signing up for Medicare Part B doesn’t require you to leave the comfort of home.  Please visit our Medicare Part B webpage if:

  1. You are already enrolled in Medicare Part A.
  2. You would like to enroll in Part B during the Special Enrollment Period.

You can complete form CMS-40B (Application for Enrollment in Medicare – Part B [Medical Insurance]) and CMS-L564 (Request for Employment Information) online.

You can also fax the CMS-40B and CMS-L564 to 1-833-914-2016; or return forms by mail to your local Social Security office.  Please contact Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) if you have any questions.  

 Note:  When completing the forms:

  • State, “I want Part B coverage to begin (MM/YY)” in the remarks section of the CMS-40B form or online application.
  • If your employer is unable to complete Section B, please complete that portion as best you can on behalf of your employer without your employer’s signature.
  • Submit one of the following types of secondary evidence by uploading it from a saved document on your computer:
    • Income tax returns that show health insurance premiums paid.
    • W-2s reflecting pre-tax medical contributions.
    • Pay stubs that reflect health insurance premium deductions.
    • Health insurance cards with a policy effective date.
    • Explanations of benefits paid by the GHP or LGHP.
    • Statements or receipts that reflect payment of health insurance premiums.

 Please let your friends and loved ones know about this online, mail, or fax option.



See Comments

About the Author

Darlynda Bogle, Assistant Deputy Commissioner


  1. P.H.C.

    In July 2020, I turned 64 and am currently enrolled in HSA with my employer through December, 2020. It is my understanding to enroll in Medicare at age 65 (July 2021 in my case), it must be at least 7 months that I have stopped contributing to my HSA without penalities. As a result, I cannot enroll in Medicare A or B until July 2021, OR no later than October, 2021 (3 months after turning 65). Is my understanding correct? Please advise. Thank you.

    • Vonda V.

      Hi there. Thanks for using our blog. If you’re eligible at age 65, your initial enrollment period begins three months before your 65th birthday, includes the month you turn age 65, and ends three months after that birthday. Check out our Medicare Benefits web page for additional details.

  2. gregory s.

    I already have Part B & Part D. Thank you!

  3. Leona m.

    My ex-husband Donald meaders died from aids and merca

  4. Patricia G.

    You can not sign up twice

  5. Patricia G.

    I thought I was already signed up in 2003 when I registered at the VA wouldn’t THIS be wrong I am contacting the SSI Monday and making sure they get a copy of your e mail PMCK

  6. Wisarat H.

    Hallow. How i can contact the Baltimore benefit office on email? I’m emergency case.

    • Vonda V.

      Hi Wisarat, thanks for using our blog. You can contact your local Social Security office. Please look for the general inquiry telephone number at the Social Security Office Locator. The number may appear under Show Additional Office Information. Please be aware that our call wait times are longer than normal. We hope this information helps.

  7. sams

    i tried t enoll in part b in out 2019/ to be told at soc sec office had to wait til jan 2020. wen back in jan to b told in office had to wait til july 2020/ now in july called to put part b and told nly do it once year in jan. so i can see did, have my oxygen, til this clears up. could be dead by that time!!!!

  8. Scott M.

    The title is misleading. Fax or mail is most definitely NOT online. Would be a nice option could even upload the forms.

  9. Karl R.

    How much will it cost me for Part B. Karl Ritz *** – ** – ***

  10. Neil v.

    I am US citizen I paid all my life into Social Security, I live in Thailand would be covered or I take things have not changed!

    • Christa T.

      I need a cdr review and you have illegally reset my diary date from 2009 to some other date. You now owe me several cdr reviews and thousands of dollars in Medicare and student loan payments and yes I work full time

Comments are closed.