COVID-19, General, People Facing Barriers, SSI

Save Time Applying for SNAP and SSI

October 21, 2021 • By

Reading Time: 2 Minutes

Last Updated: October 21, 2021

young woman and older woman reviewing information on a laptopThe COVID-19 pandemic continues to impose hardships, especially on people who face barriers to our services and benefits. We want you to know about other benefits you may be entitled to receive. This includes the Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program – or SNAP.

SNAP is a federal program – run by state agencies – that helps people with low-income purchase nutritious food.

When you apply for Supplemental Security Income (SSI), you can also apply for SNAP. If you and everyone in your household are applying for or already receive SSI payments, Social Security will:

  • Help you complete the SNAP application by phone. Call us toll-free at 1-800-772-1213 or at our TTY number, 1-800-325-0778, if you’re deaf or hard of hearing.
  • Help you complete the application in person if you have a scheduled appointment.
  • Mail you a SNAP application if you request one by phone.
  • Send the completed application to the local SNAP office for you.

All other applicants, including people who apply for or receive only Social Security benefits, should take or send their SNAP application to their local SNAP office. You may also submit your SNAP application online. To find your local SNAP office or apply online, visit the Food and Nutrition Service’s SNAP State Directory of Resources website. You can also call the SNAP information line toll free at 1-800-221-5689.

To see if you’re eligible for SNAP, check out the SNAP Eligibility page. We also encourage you to check out our publication, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) Facts, for additional information on the program.

Our efforts align with the President’s mission to address nutrition insecurity for America’s families – and help you secure today and tomorrow. Please share this information with your family and friends – and post it on social media.

Tags: , , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Dawn Bystry, Acting Associate Commissioner, Office of Strategic and Digital Communications

Deputy Associate Commissioner, Office of Strategic and Digital Communications


  1. Obaidullah A.

    Hello this is Obaidullah Ahmadi Iam from Afghanistan. I am living in Richmond, VA it is been 7 weeks since I get my EAD Card. I didn’t receive my social security number from IRC. Please help me to get my social security number.


    • Ann C.

      Hi, Obaidullah. For your security, we do not have access to private information in this venue. We ask that members in our Blog community work with our offices with specific questions. You can call us at 1-800-772-1213, Monday through Friday, between 8:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m., for assistance. Generally, you will have a shorter wait if you call later in the day. You can also contact your local Social Security office. We hope this helps.

    • Carlos M.

      Hi Carlos manzanet I’m wait ssi check send me I need ssi please

      • Ann C.

        Hi, Carlos. If you do not receive your electronic payment on the scheduled pay date, please contact your bank or financial institution first. If you still need to report a late, missing, or stolen Social Security payment, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions. Thanks!

  2. Carter

    Thank you for such an amazing post. You should also update it on Facebook and Instagram. Do not forget to buy votes online from to enjoy the enhanced engagement.

  3. Florence R.

    How do I file for bankruptcy? I’m a senior who has been attacked several times by theft and the two hospitals where my doctors are located have been hacked and all my info was included in the hack. I’m I’ll and have had several surgeries that have changed my life and not for good. Please tell me where or who to contact please.

    • Hedaytullah

      Dear Sir

      I am hedayatullah hematwall
      father name mohmmd anbiya
      for Afghanistan wardak Province chak district
      I am currently living in Afghanistan, but the developments that have taken place in Afghanistan these
      Days were a wake-up call for us, but we endured them again. A few days later, we realized that we were with the Americans for several years. We served in the US Army Corp of engineering department of the United States in Afghanistan, but now we have left home. I live in an unknown place in Kabul. I am still in of dying. In order to be able to immigrate Asturlia the family in thewe are sending the documents to make it acceptable to you that we did a good job with the United States in the US Army Corp engineering department.


      Eng hedaytullah hematwall

  4. Florence R.

    How do I file for bankruptcy?

  5. jeffrey f.

    i applied for snap benefits then the site went down for maintenance and now i cant find anything

  6. Kenneth J.

    I wasn’t trying to use anybody else’s account I forgot I had a account signed up I was trying to help my brother get him signed up so I didn’t know I couldn’t use my phone too so he’s doing it on his phone now thank you

  7. Sharon

    I been a widow for 30 years dec.16 my question is I never worked the time in our marriage til his passing I have no money nor a place to live I stay in my car not able to work stand a couple minutes at a time as well as sit my resources is none I want to know can I get SSI ? If I can’t explain to me why ?

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Sharon. Thanks for your question. The Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program pays benefits to disabled adults who have limited income and resources. SSI payments are also made to people age 65 and older without disabilities who meet the financial qualifications. You can find more information on the SSI program and how to apply by visiting our Supplemental Security Income webpage. Hope this helps!

    • marlene s.

      yes you can from what ive found out asking this same question….My ex boyfriend only worked under the table so he had nothing showing he worked… i looked up this information online to see would he be able to collect social security and found out he could infact collect social security and he would recieve more monthly income than i did working ….You will recieve the amount he would be recieving if he was alive….

  8. Cynthia L.

    Is it possible to recieve SS and SSI ?

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Cynthia. Thanks for your question. We pay disability benefits through two programs: the Social Security disability insurance program (SSDI) and the Supplemental Security Income (SSI). SSI is a needs-based disability program that pays benefits to people with limited income and resources who are disabled, blind, or age 65 or older. Blind or disabled children may also get SSI. SSDI pays benefits to those who cannot work due to a disability that is expected to last at least one year or result in death, providing the person has paid enough into the Social Security program. There are times when people can receive both SSI and SSDI, depending on their situation and whether they meet the requirements. For more information, visit our Supplemental Security Income webpage. We hope this helps.

  9. marissa b.

    Hello. Can a spouse who did not work at all can
    be eligible for Medicare A & B benefits if the spouse worked and has earned 40 credits at all.
    Will the benefits be the same as that of the retired spouse who worked with 40 credits & 65 y/o .
    Any requirements before doing some application?

    Thank you.

    • Vonda

      Hi Marissa, thanks for using our blog. You may be eligible for Medicare at age 65 on your spouse’s record if your spouse is insured and is at least 62 years old. For additional information and to make an appointment to apply, you can call us at 1-800-772-1213 or you can contact your local Social Security office. Please look for the general inquiry telephone number at the Social Security Office Locator. The number may appear under Show Additional Office Information.

  10. Ann S.

    Trying to see if i qualify for SSI can’t remember the emount i forgot but it’s over $2,000 a month cause i only get $714.00 in SSI every month and i’ve been trying to get foodstamps but can’t cause i’m over my 2 grown kids check too and the foodstamp office denied use on getting foodstamps and the raise on the SSI. Can someone help cause paying the rent and bills and buying groceries and personal things we run out of money half way through the month?
    PS if you can help that would be awesome. Thank’s

    • Vonda

      Hi Ann, thanks for using our blog. To get SSI, you must be disabled, blind, or at least 65 years old and have “limited” income and resources. Check out our Understanding SSI web page for details.

      If you have additional questions, you can call us at 1-800-772-1213 for assistance or you can contact your local Social Security office. Please look for the general inquiry telephone number at the Social Security Office Locator. The number may appear under Show Additional Office Information.  Please be aware that our call wait times are longer than normal. We hope this information helps.

    • Christie H.

      Community cares Partners are paying people’s past rent, current rent, and and past due utility and bring them to current . No matters what’s owed. You must submit your application online. Make sure you have copies of lease , any court dates with landlord and get all copies of All utility bills.

Comments are closed.