Disability

People with ALS Can Get Social Security Disability Benefits Sooner

June 17, 2021 • By

Last Updated: June 17, 2021

People with ALS Can Get Social Security Disability Benefits SoonerMay was Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Awareness Month. ALS is a progressive disease with no known cure. It advances rapidly and attacks the nerve cells responsible for controlling voluntary muscles. On average, 1,000 people with ALS apply for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits every year.

The ALS Disability Insurance Access Act of 2019 eliminates the required five-month SSDI waiting period for ALS applicants approved for benefits on or after July 23, 2020. The new law, however, does not affect our disability application or determination process.

This past month, we made the ALS claims processing even faster. Our system now automatically eliminates the five-month waiting period for ALS disability insurance claims. Previously, we had to prepare manual awards and send them to our Processing Centers for action—which took much more time. Now, we can help people with this debilitating disease in just a matter of days.

To give a real life example, a claimant with ALS recently submitted to us an online disability application. Using an electronic health exchange, we were able to collect sufficient medical evidence for the claimant and processed the claim in just two days. To learn more about how this process works, please visit our Disability Benefits Approval page.

Do you need to file for disability benefits? If so, we encourage you to apply online. You can check the status of your disability application online with your personal my Social Security account. Please share this information with your family and friends—and post it on social media.

Tags: , , ,

Mike Korbey, Deputy Commissioner for Communications

Comments

1. Rebekah R.

I appreciate different cultures. I appreciate the six years that I worked at full time employment in the schools in New York City in the Bronx because it made me think differently. The Hispanic folks that are on my Facebook page and the Black folks that are on my Facebook page are some of the people who I worked with in the Bronx and lived in Spanish Harlem with. These folks were on my Facebook page awhile ago in about 2009 but then they faded into the background for awhile and now they are very visible on my Facebook page again because some people asked for these people.

I received a few text messages about the cult that is on my Facebook page and I just gave neutral answers to leave those people alone and that they may not be Christian by what their ideas of Christians are. They are indigenous people and they have different ideas.

They are Africans that live in New York City and they have different ideas and I appreciate these people. Racial issues. Aug 9, 2021, 8:30 PM
    You sent
    In 1994 to 2006, I lived in NYC 🙂 My godparents are Carole Davis-Robinson and John “Yomi” Robinson 🙂 Dance Africa and Baba Chuck Davis 🙂 Caribbean Cultural Center (CCCADI) 🙂 I moved to Upstate New York to live in my hometown, Delhi, NY and Walton, NY in December 2006 🙂 My Grandma Martha Green-Jones lived in Delhi, NY 🙂 In October 2015, I took my fiancée, John DeNigro to see as many people as possible in NYC 🙂 There are racial issues in my families 🙁 NYPD 🙁 I apologize if I did not see you when I visited once a year in about 2007 to 2019. I visit New York City about once a year and I try to see as many people as I can

2. Rebekah R.

Representative payee programs are causing issues with getting employment

Rebekah White
    Sun, Jul 18, 2021 3:45 PM

I can still get SSDI which is Social Security Disability Insurance from the Social Security Administration because the amount that I would get paid for the seasonal employment is minimum wages.

I have to claim what I earn from the seasonal employment and let the Social Security Administration know so that the Social Security Administration can deduct what is necessary from the amount that I get when I am employed.

A person can only make a certain amount of money and get the total monthly amount that they do from the Social Security Administration.

There is a computer internet website for the Social Security Administration to let them know how much money I earn at employment. And then I have to claim what I earn at employment on my income taxes.

I cannot take the seasonal employment because I am forced to have a representative payee program by the Social Security Administration for their selfish purposes.

The seasonal employment is something that requires me to be gone all Summer from the month of July until about the month of October 2021 and I can take my two cats with me and just pay my rent for where I live and leave everything here where I live. I don’t have children so it is easy for me to go for seasonal employment for the whole Summer. People who have children cannot take their children with them for seasonal employment.

I have to be here where I live to get my mail from the mailbox to send to the representative payee program that I am forced to have by the Social Security Administration for their selfish purposes.

How are you?

On Fri, Jul 16, 2021 at 7:28 PM Stephen Finkel wrote:
    can you work seasonally and still get benefits you have?

On Friday, July 16, 2021, 10:17:30 AM EDT, Rebekah White wrote:

Yes, the representative payee program prevents me from working.

Seasonal jobs for employment.

On Fri, Jul 16, 2021 at 9:49 AM Stephen Finkel wrote:
    does the program prevent you from working, or cease if you got a paid job? Federal programs can be very restrictive, not flexible for sure. Times have indeed changed a lot, good, and bad, in many ways. If the “Steve and his wife” is me…my wife passed away in 2013…..have a nice weekend!

On Friday, July 16, 2021, 09:34:45 AM EDT, Rebekah White wrote:

Okay. So, if I have demonstrated that I know how to manage my money then why am I being forced to have a representative payee program by the Social Security Administration?

Steve and his wife are older than me. Steve and his wife are older than Rebekah.

In the 1970’s we did not have food stamps and we had to grow food to eat in gardens.

In the 1970’s in DeLancey, New York we had a large field that we planted potatoes in to grow food to eat.

The potatoes grow easier than most vegetables. The potatoes can be stored in bushels in the basement for food to eat during the Winters and this is what we had to do in the 1970’s to have food to eat.

These females who gave birth to children in 2021 don’t have to grow food to feed their children.

On Fri, Jul 16, 2021 at 1:09 AM Stephen Finkel wrote:
    I’m fine…how about you!? I know you’ve had a history of managing your money successfully for many years……you’ve demonstrated this skill in many ways, ….

On Thursday, July 15, 2021, 09:02:16 PM EDT, Rebekah White wrote:

In 1994 to 2006 when I lived in New York City, I lived by myself in the college dorms and I had to use the money from my student loans to buy food and pay for housing so I learned how to manage my money in 1994 to 2006.

In 1994 to 2006 when I lived in New York City, I lived in a studio one room apartment and I had to manage my money myself so I already learned how to pay rent and bills.

How are you?

On Thu, Jul 15, 2021 at 4:00 PM wrote:
    wow, you have the “system” down pat…not surprised, you’re very smart and have the skills to learn stuff when necessary, cheers to you!! A bagel sounds good!

On Wednesday, July 14, 2021, 06:41:08 PM EDT, Rebekah White wrote:

Excellent! I am glad that you went to the eye doctor near Kingston, New York.

It is approximately 6:30PM on Wednesday, July 14, 2021 and it is daylight outside. I was sitting outside on the small front porch this afternoon.

I made a pot of black coffee in the coffee pot. I turned the coffee pot off. I unplugged the coffee pot from the electric socket. I let the hot coffee cool down to room temperature. I will put the room temperature coffee in the refrigerator to have ice coffee tomorrow. Ice coffee in the Summers is nice to have.

I ate a bagel with cream cheese for breakfast this morning.

I drank iced coffee because the liquid fills the stomach up.

I ate fresh strawberries and vanilla yogurt for dinner today.

I try to eat small amounts of food because I only get two hundred dollars a month to purchase food. I have a budget for food
    I get a certain amount of money to purchase food for the month. I also eat small amounts of food because I try to not get fat. I don’t want to be fat so I have to eat small amounts of food.

The amount that I get from the Social Security Administration is just enough to stay here
    Rent and heat and electricity and car insurance and cheap food
    It is just enough to stay here
    Cost of rent is $675.00 a month
    National Grid electricity and heat bill
    AT&T phone bill
    Progressive car insurance
    Food
    Hygiene products
    Gas for the car
    Cleaning supplies and laundry detergent
    Spectrum television and internet bill
    Adirondack bank in Utica,NY has a budget for Rebekah and Rebekah has to stay on the budget to stay living where she lives.
    Adirondack bank in Utica,NY sends checks and on the check it says what the money is supposed to be used for! Adirondack Bank
    2817 Genesee St, Utica · (315) 738-0306
    Adirondack bank in Utica,NY is part of the representative payee program at the nonprofit agency called the Rescue Mission in Utica,NY
    The Social Security Administration deposits the Social Security Disability Insurance checks into Adirondack bank in Utica,NY
    When they put honest information in the letters from the Social Security Administration such as the geographic area is poverty stricken and in need of poverty alleviation and that they don’t have enough employment for the amount of people who need employment then the United States government can address the issues that are causing poverty

I don’t get food stamps but I don’t know if this way of doing stuff would work for all people. I don’t know if all people could do this kind of budget thing. No food stamps and just a budget to purchase food. It is not that people lack intelligence. There are some very intelligent people who have lived in the modular home trailer park but they did not budget the ways that are necessary to stay living in the trailer park which is sad.

On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 10:41 PM > wrote:
    Sweet dreams, almost a decent day, spent most of it in Kingston “seeing” 2 eye drs. for my annual checkups.

3. Rebekah R.

Representative payee programs are a waste of government money. Representative payee programs are causing poverty! The poorer you are the more people like you! They seem to like poverty because they are causing poverty!

I would gladly be at the event in New York City on Wednesday, June 30th, 2021 if I could. Maybe one day they might take the representative payee program off the SSDI which is Social Security Disability Insurance from the Social Security Administration so that I can go live my life, please! And hopefully they will renew my SSDI which is Social Security Disability Insurance from the Social Security Administration so that I can pay rent and bills!

I know how to manage my own money and it is a blatant lie to say that I need help managing my money! This issue is going to be brought up again and again until they do something about it. My being forced to have a representative payee program by the Social Security Administration is causing poverty! Poverty is not an accident. What causes poverty?

There are studio one room apartments in New York City that cost less than this place that I live in but they are in the slums sections of the city and I would be about the only Caucasian person living in the apartment building! Maybe they can design apartment buildings that are for extremely low incomes and have Caucasian white people living in the low income apartment buildings and some inter-racial, mixed race low income apartment buildings too! I don’t see that much progress in Economic revitalization in Frankfort, NY or Utica, NY.

When the economy improves then everyone’s mental health will improve! Economic revitalization is necessary and if I lived in New York City, I would gladly be willing to work on developing low income affordable housing.

I appreciate your time. I apologize for sending you so many emails regarding genealogy and counseling and family therapy and prior background information. They live in Long Island and have the knowledge to help with my family genealogy and research and I apologize for sending them so many emails regarding these issues!

I would gladly attend your event in June 2021, if I could.

I would write grammatically correct for you too!

I will spell correctly for you too!

I can use bigger vocabulary words for you too!

You already read this.

Hope you are having a good day.

4. Rebekah R.

The United States government created the child tax credits because there is so much poverty. The child tax credit is money that is given out by the Internal Revenue Service. The government gives money to the Internal Revenue Service to give to people which is called philanthropy. It is not based on tax dollars. Most people are on SSI which is Supplemental Security Income from the Social Security Administration and public assistance so most people don’t pay taxes. There is plenty of money and the government can easily give out a lot more money to everyone! It is not based on taxes that people pay.
    You sent
    More philanthropy would be excellent 🙁 More philanthropy is needed please! The Internal Revenue Service can get more money from the government to do more philanthropy 🙁 On-going philanthropy is what public assistance is 🙁 All the women and their children have to have on-going philanthropy and that is why they give birth to so many children 🙁 Infant in arms to get on-going philanthropy because they are more sympathetic if they have children 🙁 If they were just as sympathetic towards the senior citizens and those without children then we would all have more 🙁 And if they were more sympathetic towards men too that would be excellent 🙁 Most men are on SSI which is Supplemental Security Income from the Social Security Administration and public assistance their whole life too and they work at employment that pays minimum wages and it is sad
    You sent

5. Rebekah R.

Fri 8:39 AM
    You replied to Maria
    Original message:
    So Becky what do you do for a living
    COVID-19 and coronavirus is why most people are unemployed in 2020 and 2021. There are economic recessions and there is severe poverty in the rural geographic area that I live in.

There is severe poverty which causes unemployment in Upstate New York in Frankfort, NY and Utica, NY and Herkimer, NY and Ilion, NY and Mohawk, NY and the surrounding geographic areas.

You replied to Maria
    Original message:
    So Becky what do you do for a living
    Municipalities in fiscal stress should also have the Mohawk Valley

Municipalities in fiscal stress should also have Central New York

Municipalities in fiscal stress should also have the Southern Tier region of New York State

Oneida County in New York State is in severe fiscal stress

Herkimer County in New York State is in severe fiscal stress

Delaware County in New York State is in severe fiscal stress. Otsego County in New York State is also in severe fiscal stress! The fiscal stress is SEVERE. The poverty is severe in New York State
    You sent
    You replied to Maria
    Original message:
    So Becky what do you do for a living
    Employment does not pay enough to pay for the gas for the car to drive anywhere for employment in Frankfort,NY and Utica,NY and Herkimer,NY and Ilion,NY!

There are very few stores in Frankfort, NY and Herkimer, NY and Mohawk, NY Most of the small towns in rural Upstate New York have only one grocery store IF they have a grocery store And there are so many people that there are not enough jobs for the amount of people that need jobs Some people only work 4 hours a day on about 3 days a week so why even bother working at the grocery store – for socializing? Inside their minds it helps pay the bills and it is good for their self-esteem Inside my mind it doesn’t do anything for me 😕 A lot of foods are taken off the shelves of the grocery stores to take to the food banks 😕 Most people cannot afford most of the foods on the store shelves so the foods are taken to the food banks

6. Jane R.

Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis is a serious illness that is rare (1,000 reported cases per year in the US), but it is a truly dire illness that can affect anyone.
    Government support is essential. The most important thing is not to treat those who have this disease somehow badly. People should continue to be a part of society and should not be outcasts. You need to lead an active social life (even on social networks like video chat) and enjoy life. I really hope that this incurable disease will soon be curable.

7. constancia

If you’re just getting started with https://icloudlogin.de/, or are looking for a refresher on how to connect your devices to the cloud service, then this article is for you. We’ll cover everything from setting up your Apple ID and signing in for the first time to managing your settings and more.

8. icloud l.

If you’re just getting started with <a href="https://icloudlogin.de/"icloud login, or are looking for a refresher on how to connect your devices to the cloud service, then this article is for you. We’ll cover everything from setting up your Apple ID and signing in for the first time to managing your settings and more.

9. Mitra S.

Now a lot of people need to think about insurance and so on. You just can’t do without it. I already understand this from experience, so I can give you some advice on this. For example, if you are looking for, you can find out the details and contact the insurance company, you can look here bristol west insurance phone number and ask them the right information and details. I hope I helped and it was really helpful to everyone. Good luck!

10. joanne h.

Kim Cherry, diagnosed 2011. Kim was diagnosed with the bulbar form of ALS and was given one year to live. His symptoms progressed quickly. Soon he was having difficulty breathing, swallowing and even walking short distances. With the help of several holistic medical practitioners and his wife Kay’s research he has been able to reverse most of his symptoms using diet, herbs, supplements and oxygen therapies including direct IV ozone, which he feels has made the most difference. Kim is playing golf again. He is now 69 and these herbs clinic( healthmedlabclinic1@gmail.com) help him recovered fully.