Medicare

Online Bill Payment for Medicare Premiums

August 3, 2017 • By

man smiling and looking at laptop Social Security is here with tools and information to help you secure today and tomorrow. Did you know that you can pay your Medicare premiums online? If your bank offers the option to pay your bills online, you can use their service to pay for your Medicare premiums bill from the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS).

You, or your representative, must sign up for your bank’s online bill payment process and you can contact your bank directly for assistance. Social Security and CMS are not involved in establishing the online bill pay service with your bank. Before you contact your bank to set up the process, make sure you have the following information available:

1. Amount of your Medicare premium bill
  2. Account number: Medicare claim number without dashes. You can find this number on the red, white, and blue Medicare card.
  3. Biller name: CMS Medicare Insurance
  4. Biller’s address:

Medicare Premium Collection Center
P.O. Box 790355
St. Louis, MO 63179-0355

You’ll need to tell the bank how much money to deduct from your account to pay for the Medicare premium. You’ll also need to update the amount with your bank whenever there is a change in the Medicare premium amount. This usually happens in January when CMS announces the new Medicare premium rates. You can find more information at Medicare.gov or CMS’s online bill pay webpage.

Remember, CMS does not charge a fee for processing the electronic payments, but in some situations, a bank may charge their customers a fee for using their online bill payment service. If you have any questions about bill pay, please contact your bank or financial institution directly. You can also visit CMS’s  online bill pay for more information on paying your Medicare premiums.

Tags: ,

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications

Comments

1. Robert S Clayter

I just started receiving social security. Now, I find out I must pay for medicare part B. How is the amount to be paid determine? I thought medicare was free.

Hi Robert, thank you for your question. Check out our Frequently Asked Questions web page for details on the various parts of Medicare and premium information. We hope this helps!

2. Thomas A Williams

I have received a bill for 3 months of part B coverage and would like to make a monthly payment instead of quarterly. Is this possible?

3. Laurie Raymond

Where do I get a copy of my monthly premiums paid for reimbursement from my Health Savings Account?

Hi Laurie, thank you for your question. In your my Social Security account, you can check your benefit and payment information. In the Payment Details section, the Payment History tab allows you to view and print your current benefit and payment information as well as historical information for the past two years. We hope this helps.

4. Michael J Sugar

Does anyone monitor or update these sites? My Medicare billing for June 1, 2020 quarter has not come. It is May 4.
    Telephone numbers say no one is answering the phones and to come to SSA.Gov for Medicare help on line. No info how to contact anyone. No phone or email for Medicare Billing location in St. Louis, MO. How do I find out what I owe so I can write a check and send it?
    Please have someone contact me.
    Michael J Sugar 1 805 522-1275
    2684 Tumbleweed Ave., Simi Valley, CA 93065-1336

5. JoBelle Baldonado

I need another copy of my Medicare Premium bill for 2020. I owe the difference between the charge for Medicare and my contribution through Social Security.
    Please email it to me.

Hi JoBelle, thank you for your question. If you have a my Social Security account, you can check your benefit and payment information. In the Payment Details section, the Payment History tab allows you to view and print your current benefit and payment information as well as historical information for the past two years.

Click on Create New Account to get started.

6. Nancy A Manley

I received my first Medicare Part B bill, effective 6/1/2020 (part A was effective 12/1/2019). However the payment adjustment of $54.10 was based on our income for 2017. 2017 was a year my husband worked heavy overtime and got a very large bonus. 2018 was a normal income year. As a matter of fact we actually had to pay the IRS approx. $900 that year. How can I get the adjustment taken off my bill. He’s retiring at the end of this month and my income is about to drop drastically.

Hi Nancy, thank you for using our blog. To determine if you’ll pay higher premiums, Social Security uses the most recent federal tax return the IRS provides to us. If you must pay higher premiums, we use a sliding scale to make the adjustments, based on your modified adjusted gross income (MAGI). Your MAGI is your total adjusted gross income and tax-exempt interest income.

For details regarding an appeal, check out the factsheet: What You Can Do if You Think Your Medicare Income-Related Premium is Incorrect.

To report a Medicare Income-Related Monthly Adjustment Amount Life-Changing Event, complete and return the form to your local Social Security office. We hope this helps.

7. shirley sirman

I keyed in informaion. pop up said it was wrong. I want to have an accout.

Hi Shirley. We are sorry that you are having trouble creating a my Social Security account. To pass the verification process, we match the personal information you give us with the data we have in our records. Then, we use our Identity Services Provider to further verify your identity.

If you are locked out, you can call us at 1-800-772-1213 for assistance or you can contact your local Social Security office. Please look for the general inquiry telephone number at the Social Security Office Locator. The number may appear under Show Additional Office Information. Please be aware that our call wait times are longer than normal. We hope this information helps.

8. CathyM Wilson

I would like to know why my and my husbands CMS payments have not been processed since March 16, 2020. They have benn paid well before the due date, so they have not been late. I don’t understand why the checks have not been cashed. Thank you

Hi Cathy, thanks for using our blog. Please contact Medicare directly regarding the premiums that you have submitted. You can get details at Medicare.gov or by calling 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227) (TTY 1-877-486-2048).

9. Vicki Dionne

I keep receiving past due Medicare premium bill. Even though I’ve made payments. I mailed check for the amount you said was due on May 6th, you didn’t cash check until May 28th. I see it was billed on May 27th. Why is it taking so long to post, when I mailed my check with my husbands in the same envelope, sent two seperate checks. It’s impossible to speck to anyone because of long wait time.I believe I only owe half of what my medicare bill say.

Hi Vicki, thanks for using our blog. Check out Medicare’s Online Bill Payment web page for details when premiums are not automatically deducted. We hope this helps.

10. Lisa Orms

why haven’t I received my June check yet? It was supposed
    to be direct deposit today?

Hi Lisa, thanks for using our blog. The birthday of the person whose record you receive benefits under determines your payment date:
      Date of Birth Payment Day:
      1st through 10th Second Wednesday
      11th through 20th Third Wednesday
      21st through 31st Fourth Wednesday

Go to Schedule of Social Security Payments for the current payment dates.