Online Services, Taxes

No Need to Visit a Field Office: Replace Your SSA-1099 Benefit Statement Online

February 2, 2017 • By

man on laptop We’re with you through life’s journey, putting you in control of your finances and future. Social Security has made requesting or replacing your annual Benefit Statement even easier. The Benefit Statement is also known as the SSA-1099 or the SSA-1042S. Now you have the ability to download it anytime and anywhere you want using our online services. There’s no need to visit a field office.

An SSA-1099 is a tax form Social Security mails each year in January to people who receive Social Security benefits. It shows the total amount of benefits you received from Social Security in the previous year so you know how much Social Security income to report to IRS on your tax return.

If you currently live in the United States and you need a replacement form SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S, simply go online and request an instant, printable replacement form with a my Social Security account at www.socialsecurity.gov/myaccount.

A replacement SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S is typically available for the previous tax year after February 1.

If you already have a my Social Security account, you should access your online account and go to “Replacements Documents” to view and print your SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S. If you don’t have access to a printer, you can save the document on your computer or laptop and email it. If you don’t have a my Social Security account, creating a secure account is very easy to do and usually takes less than 15 minutes.

If you’re a noncitizen who lives outside of the United States and you received or repaid Social Security benefits last year, we will send you form SSA-1042S instead. The forms SSA-1099 and SSA-1042S are not available for people who receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI).

Securing today and tomorrow isn’t always easy, but Social Security continues to improve our customer service with easy to use online features. Visit www.socialsecurity.gov for more.

Tags: , , , ,

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications

Comments

1. timothy m starnes

I need replacement of my 2019 form 1099 for my tax processing.

Hi Timothy, thanks for using our blog. Check out our Frequently Asked Questions web page on how to obtain a replacement 1099. You also may be able to request a replacement SSA-1099 by using our automated telephone service at 1-800-772-1213. You can conduct the automated services 24 hours a day. At the prompt, indicate that you’re requesting a replacement SSA-1099. We hope this helps.

2. pat Koch

I can not remember my user name or password and i need a benefit letter

Hi Pat, thanks for using our blog. Check out our Frequently Asked Questions web page for details on how to retrieve or change your username or password. You may be able to request a benefit verification letter by using our automated telephone service at 1-800-772-1213. You can conduct the automated services 24 hours a day. At the prompt, indicate that you’re requesting a proof of income letter. We hope this helps.

3. Luz Cynthia Ceballos

Need benefit statement or proof of income

Hi Luz, thanks for using our blog. Check out our Frequently Asked Questions web page for details on how to get a benefit verification letter. This letter is sometimes called a budget letter, a benefits letter, a proof of income letter or a proof of award letter. You also may be able to request a benefit verification letter by using our automated telephone service at 1-800-772-1213. You can conduct the automated services 24 hours a day. At the prompt, indicate that you’re requesting a proof of income letter. We hope this helps.

4. Rebecca Dann

Replacement Docs doesn’t have access to my SSA-1099 for Survivor benefits tax year 2019, only replacement Medicare card and statement of earnings for years I was working. Need this for my taxes, so now what? Thank you!

Hi, Rebecca. Please contact your local Social Security office for assistance. They can assist with a replacement SSA-1099. We hope this helps.

5. Monica Reid

would like a copy of my 1099 for tax year 2017

Hi, Monica. For years prior to the last year, you can call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) between 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. to speak to one of our representatives for assistance. Or you can contact your local Social Security office. We hope this helps.

6. Dave Green

Interesting info I’ve seen it earlier at https://is.gd/6AcDoT

7. Gloria Hutchinson

I was locked out of my account. I need a 1099 replacement statement for 2019

Hi Gloria, thank you for using our blog. Check out our Frequently Asked Questions web page on how to obtain a replacement 1099. You also may be able to request a replacement SSA-1099 by using our automated telephone service at 1-800-772-1213. You can conduct the automated services 24 hours a day. At the prompt, indicate that you’re requesting a replacement SSA-1099. We hope this helps.

8. Gloria

I was on hold 800-772-1213 while I was looking on line and got hung up on after I was holding since 10:30. E mail:glow61318@comcast.net.

9. Geri Mantooth

I need a copy of my original award letter.

Hi Geri, thanks for using our blog. Check out our Frequently Asked Questions web page for details on how to get a benefit verification letter. This letter is sometimes called a budget letter, a benefits letter, a proof of income letter or a proof of award letter. You also may be able to request a benefit verification letter by using our automated telephone service at 1-800-772-1213. You can conduct the automated services 24 hours a day. At the prompt, indicate that you’re requesting a proof of income letter. We hope this helps.

10. Geri Mantooth

I need copy of my original award letter.Tried calling. Waited 3 hrs on phone. Geraldine Mantooth