Online Services, Taxes

No Need to Visit a Field Office: Replace Your SSA-1099 Benefit Statement Online

February 2, 2017 • By

man on laptop We’re with you through life’s journey, putting you in control of your finances and future. Social Security has made requesting or replacing your annual Benefit Statement even easier. The Benefit Statement is also known as the SSA-1099 or the SSA-1042S. Now you have the ability to download it anytime and anywhere you want using our online services. There’s no need to visit a field office.

An SSA-1099 is a tax form Social Security mails each year in January to people who receive Social Security benefits. It shows the total amount of benefits you received from Social Security in the previous year so you know how much Social Security income to report to IRS on your tax return.

If you currently live in the United States and you need a replacement form SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S, simply go online and request an instant, printable replacement form with a my Social Security account at

A replacement SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S is typically available for the previous tax year after February 1.

If you already have a my Social Security account, you should access your online account and go to “Replacements Documents” to view and print your SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S. If you don’t have access to a printer, you can save the document on your computer or laptop and email it. If you don’t have a my Social Security account, creating a secure account is very easy to do and usually takes less than 15 minutes.

If you’re a noncitizen who lives outside of the United States and you received or repaid Social Security benefits last year, we will send you form SSA-1042S instead. The forms SSA-1099 and SSA-1042S are not available for people who receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI).

Securing today and tomorrow isn’t always easy, but Social Security continues to improve our customer service with easy to use online features. Visit for more.

Tags: , , , , , ,

See Comments

About the Author


Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications


Please review our Comment Policy before leaving a comment.

  1. Geri Mantooth

    Need copy of original award letter. Geraldine Mantooth

    • Geri Mantooth

      Need copy original award letter

  2. Laston Grantham Jr.

    Did that twice, trying to get a copy of my 1099 in “Replacement Documents”, not there only replace cards

    • Vonda VanTil, Public Affairs Specialist

      Hi Laston, thanks for using our blog. Sorry to hear about the difficulties you are experiencing with your my Social Security account. You may be able to request a replacement SSA-1099 by using our automated telephone service at 1-800-772-1213. You can conduct the automated services 24 hours a day. At the prompt, indicate that you’re requesting a replacement SSA-1099. We hope this helps.

  3. Roger R Durrant

    please help me get my wifes ssa-1099 for the year 2017. her name is Marjorie Rengifo Arevalo. social security number is XXXXXXXXX. we requested a replacement almost three months ago, but it has not arrived yet.
    our address is 902 North 1250 East tooele Utah 84074

    • Vonda VanTil, Public Affairs Specialist

      Hi Roger, thanks for using our blog. To request an SSA-1099 for 2017, your wife will need to call us at 1-800-772-1213 for assistance or you can contact your local Social Security office. Please look for the general inquiry telephone number at the Social Security Office Locator. The number may appear under Show Additional Office Information. Please be aware that our call wait times are longer than normal. We hope this information helps.

  4. Philip A Gilbert

    I need a replacement 1099 for my deceased father (Harold W. Gilbert). How can I obtain one?

  5. Dyanne bestry

    I need to change my address but the website won’t let me ,I have not received my 2019 benefit statement because I believe ssa has the wrong address,I need the 1099 to submit my tax return ,due in two days what do you suggest?

    • Vonda VanTil, Public Affairs Specialist

      Hi Dyanne, thanks for using our blog. Check out our Frequently Asked Questions web page for details on how to change your address. We hope this helps!

  6. Jordan D. Glass, Esq.

    You do realize that this is both partially incomplete and partially false, right?

    You also realize that we are unable to obtain past years’ information and that forms to do so are hidden from view, correct?

    Is there a public reason that the site is dishonest, other than herding people like cattle to the online site (which doesn’t work half the time for clients applying for a new account), and not wanting to provide easy access to previous information, reducing your workload and limiting the budget?


Leave a Comment

Please review our Comment Policy before leaving a comment. For your safety, please do not post Personally Identifiable Information (such as your Social Security Number, address, phone number, email address, bank account number, or birthdate) on our blog.

Leave a Reply to Gloria Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *