Need to Change Your Name on Your Social Security Card?

social security card Are you changing your name? If so, let Social Security know so we can update your information, send you a corrected card, and make sure you get the benefits you’ve earned.

To change your name on your card, you must show us documents proving your legal name change and identity. If you are a U.S. citizen, you also must show us a document proving your U.S. citizenship, if it is not already in our records. You must present original documents or copies certified by the agency that issued them. We can’t accept photocopies or notarized copies.

To prove your legal name change, you must show one of the following documents:

  • Marriage document;
  • Divorce decree;
  • Certificate of naturalization showing a new name; or
  • Court order for a name change.

To prove your identity, you must show an unexpired document showing your name, identifying information, and photograph, such as one of the following:

  • U.S. driver’s license;
  • State-issued non-driver’s identification card; or
  • U.S. passport.

If you don’t have one of those documents available, we may be able to accept your:

  • Employer identification card;
  • School identification card;
  • Health insurance card; or
  • U.S. military identification card.

To prove your U.S. citizenship, you must show one of the following documents:

  • U.S. birth certificate;
  • U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad;
  • U.S. passport (unexpired);
  • Certificate of Naturalization; or
  • Certificate of Citizenship.

Whatever your reason for your name change, Social Security is here to help you with the new… you! Fill out the form online and follow the instructions to ensure your Social Security card is delivered in a timely manner. You can also locate your local field office so you can apply for your updated card and show your required documents in person.

For complete instructions, visit our website, which includes information for non-citizens. And remember, if you simply need to replace a lost Social Security card, but don’t need to change your name, you can — in most states — request your replacement card online using your my Social Security account.


1,117 thoughts on “Need to Change Your Name on Your Social Security Card?

  1. Need to change last name since getting married, however can I send in documents via mail? Obviously I need my CDL, to drive, so that is out. If I use my current health care card but it does not have a photo. Will this be acceptable, or can I send in a verification letter from my current employer? Advise

  2. How do I get an update on my name change request? I sent in my paper work weeks ago. Tracking shows it arrived at the office.

  3. Where can can I send my application for ss5 form for name change.
    I reside in Vacaville California if that helps.

  4. Hi, I am a US citizen living overseas.
    I am applying for a new passport as mine expires next month.
    Unfortunately, I have been recently divorced so would like a new card in the new maiden name.
    Do I just fill out this form and email it to whom?
    I can attach image copies of passport and marriage and divorce certificate?
    My current name is Priya Graham

Leave a Reply - (comment policy)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *