Need to Change Your Name on Your Social Security Card?

social security card Are you changing your name? If so, let Social Security know so we can update your information, send you a corrected card, and make sure you get the benefits you’ve earned.

To change your name on your card, you must show us documents proving your legal name change and identity. If you are a U.S. citizen, you also must show us a document proving your U.S. citizenship, if it is not already in our records. You must present original documents or copies certified by the agency that issued them. We can’t accept photocopies or notarized copies.

To prove your legal name change, you must show one of the following documents:

  • Marriage document;
  • Divorce decree;
  • Certificate of naturalization showing a new name; or
  • Court order for a name change.

To prove your identity, you must show an unexpired document showing your name, identifying information, and photograph, such as one of the following:

  • U.S. driver’s license;
  • State-issued non-driver’s identification card; or
  • U.S. passport.

If you don’t have one of those documents available, we may be able to accept your:

  • Employer identification card;
  • School identification card;
  • Health insurance card; or
  • U.S. military identification card.

To prove your U.S. citizenship, you must show one of the following documents:

  • U.S. birth certificate;
  • U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad;
  • U.S. passport (unexpired);
  • Certificate of Naturalization; or
  • Certificate of Citizenship.

Whatever your reason for your name change, Social Security is here to help you with the new… you! Fill out the form online and follow the instructions to ensure your Social Security card is delivered in a timely manner. You can also locate your local field office so you can apply for your updated card and show your required documents in person.

For complete instructions, visit our website, which includes information for non-citizens. And remember, if you simply need to replace a lost Social Security card, but don’t need to change your name, you can — in most states — request your replacement card online using your my Social Security account.


1,117 thoughts on “Need to Change Your Name on Your Social Security Card?

  1. I got divorced and returned to my maiden name. Should I send the application and documents to my local office even though they are closed? Or should I wait until SSA offices reopen? I assume there is a longer turnaround time due to office closures. Thanks!

  2. Need a application to fill out to change my last name to my maiden name.
    And make a appointment to show my divorce papers

  3. I need an application to show my marry name to apply for my SSI benefits for retirement. i have all of my forms to mail. I was told I must apply for a card with my marry name on it.

  4. i got divorced back in 2016 but i don’t believe my attorney put down to change my last name back to my maiden name in the divorce papers. Can i just show proof of divorce and submit an application to change my last name? Or is there another process i need to follow?

  5. Will the online system (My Social Security) automatically update to my married name when my name change has been processed ? I mailed everything to my local SSA office for the name change to be processed and all the required docs. Just waiting on it to processed and receive my new card.

  6. Hi my name is Maranda Lindsey I recently mailed out my information to have my name changed because when I called they said the business was closed and to mail it out and that was a 1 week and a half ago I’m just checking to see if it was recieved or not. Or how long it will take to get everything back.

  7. So…went to get an AZ ID card after moving from Idaho to AZ. They requested documents in order to do a travel ID. I produced: the Idaho ID card, expired US passport, citizenship documents and social security card. The lady at the counter requested that I go to the nearest social security office to request my name be changed to match the one on my citizenship documents. So, I went today. The social security office is closed due to Covid-19. Called. Looked at website. Will be mailing certified copies with SS5. How long will it take to get a social security card with corrected name?

  8. I need to change my name . There must be someway to get my name changed it’s holding my medical and other things at my job. Please please help

Leave a Reply - (comment policy)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *