Need to Change Your Name on Your Social Security Card?

social security card Are you changing your name? If so, let Social Security know so we can update your information, send you a corrected card, and make sure you get the benefits you’ve earned.

To change your name on your card, you must show us documents proving your legal name change and identity. If you are a U.S. citizen, you also must show us a document proving your U.S. citizenship, if it is not already in our records. You must present original documents or copies certified by the agency that issued them. We can’t accept photocopies or notarized copies.

To prove your legal name change, you must show one of the following documents:

  • Marriage document;
  • Divorce decree;
  • Certificate of naturalization showing a new name; or
  • Court order for a name change.

To prove your identity, you must show an unexpired document showing your name, identifying information, and photograph, such as one of the following:

  • U.S. driver’s license;
  • State-issued non-driver’s identification card; or
  • U.S. passport.

If you don’t have one of those documents available, we may be able to accept your:

  • Employer identification card;
  • School identification card;
  • Health insurance card; or
  • U.S. military identification card.

To prove your U.S. citizenship, you must show one of the following documents:

  • U.S. birth certificate;
  • U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad;
  • U.S. passport (unexpired);
  • Certificate of Naturalization; or
  • Certificate of Citizenship.

Whatever your reason for your name change, Social Security is here to help you with the new… you! Fill out the form online and follow the instructions to ensure your Social Security card is delivered in a timely manner. You can also locate your local field office so you can apply for your updated card and show your required documents in person.

For complete instructions, visit our website, which includes information for non-citizens. And remember, if you simply need to replace a lost Social Security card, but don’t need to change your name, you can — in most states — request your replacement card online using your my Social Security account.


1,029 thoughts on “Need to Change Your Name on Your Social Security Card?

  1. I have completely filled out my Benefits Application online. When I complete the final section that says REVIEW & SIGN I get to the bottom of the page it says “save & exit”. When I push that button it takes me out of the screen and I have to go back and login again. How do I submit the application? I have tried 3 different times with no success. I am missing something……..

  2. I got married in march of this year and need to change name on ss card to my married name how do i do that?

  3. Name change issues. I must mail in my only copy of my divorce decree and my passport. If these are lost in the post office black hole, I’m in a world of hurt. We should be able to scan and upload these. Or better yet, have a drop box that allows documents to be slipped inside the SSI building while it is closed. This is crazy! I am unable to get credit cards in my new name or even change my name at the bank. Women get screwed by this draconian demand. Just venting.

  4. What process do new citizens follow to update their status with SSA? Please provide me any information or emails .links ..etc to complete the process

    • Congratulations, Marcus! You will need to update your Social Security record by showing us your Certificate of Naturalization and completing an application for a replacement card. All documents must be either originals or certified copies by the issuing agency. We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents. If you do not want to mail in your documents, which will be returned, you may need to wait for the offices to reopen. Use our Social Security Office Locator to find your local office address.

      Visit our Social Security Number and Card web page for details on requesting a new, replacement or corrected Social Security card.

Leave a Reply - (comment policy)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *