Need to Change Your Name on Your Social Security Card?

social security card Are you changing your name? If so, let Social Security know so we can update your information, send you a corrected card, and make sure you get the benefits you’ve earned.

To change your name on your card, you must show us documents proving your legal name change and identity. If you are a U.S. citizen, you also must show us a document proving your U.S. citizenship, if it is not already in our records. You must present original documents or copies certified by the agency that issued them. We can’t accept photocopies or notarized copies.

To prove your legal name change, you must show one of the following documents:

  • Marriage document;
  • Divorce decree;
  • Certificate of naturalization showing a new name; or
  • Court order for a name change.

To prove your identity, you must show an unexpired document showing your name, identifying information, and photograph, such as one of the following:

  • U.S. driver’s license;
  • State-issued non-driver’s identification card; or
  • U.S. passport.

If you don’t have one of those documents available, we may be able to accept your:

  • Employer identification card;
  • School identification card;
  • Health insurance card; or
  • U.S. military identification card.

To prove your U.S. citizenship, you must show one of the following documents:

  • U.S. birth certificate;
  • U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad;
  • U.S. passport (unexpired);
  • Certificate of Naturalization; or
  • Certificate of Citizenship.

Whatever your reason for your name change, Social Security is here to help you with the new… you! Fill out the form online and follow the instructions to ensure your Social Security card is delivered in a timely manner. You can also locate your local field office so you can apply for your updated card and show your required documents in person.

For complete instructions, visit our website, which includes information for non-citizens. And remember, if you simply need to replace a lost Social Security card, but don’t need to change your name, you can — in most states — request your replacement card online using your my Social Security account.


953 thoughts on “Need to Change Your Name on Your Social Security Card?

  1. I need to give you my old address
    My name: Melba J. Lufkin
    Old address: 9802 Royce Drive, Tampa FL33626
    Social Scurity # is *** – ** – ***

    New Address: 8355 Old Hixon Rd,
    APt # 224
    Tampa, FL 33626
    Thank you

  2. I am in a catch 22 situation. My original Birth Certificate shows my Name as Baby Larson. (Bastard Child) The revised certificate lists my first name spelled Laurence rather than Lawrence and my CA driver’s license list it as Lawrence. In order to get the new Star-Bear CA drivers license I need a birth certificate that shows the spelling Laurence and in order to get the birth certificate I need a drivers license that shows Laurence spelling in order to prove I am one and the same person. My social security card lists my first name as Larry which is short for both Laurence and Lawrence, so I guess I need SS to change it to Laurence. SS= Larry R. Staton *** – ** – *** BD 08/07/1937 Some signatures I have used are: Larry Staton, Larry R. Staton, Lawrence R. Staton, Lawrence Staton, L. R. Staton, and Dr. LR. What should I do?

  3. I need a new social security card because I got married and never changed my name on my social security card

  4. Agen Judi Baccarat Online Terpercaya – Situs Judi baccarat Online Uang Asli Terpercaya – Sebuah permainan judi kartu online yang tergolong pada permainan casino online dan telah menjadi primadona pada permainan judi online sejak awal diluncurkan.

  5. Your new valuable key points imply much a person like me and extremely more to my office workers. With thanks; from everyone of us.

  6. Hi. I changed both my first and last name with Social Security in 2019. I received my new Social Security card in my new name in July 2019. Internal Revenue Service says they get the information on what name matches each Social Security number from SSA. Do you know how often at what times of year SSA sends that information to IRS? I assume it is sent electronically, is that correct? I ask because I filed my tax return in Feb 2020 and today (May 19, 2020) the agent says my return is not finished processing because my name does not match the last record they have from SSA.

  7. I’m turning 65 in august 2020 and I got remarried and need to change name before opening my online account to file for social security and Medicare, offices are still closed , I know I can mail documents in to an office, but how long would it take them to return my drivers license snd certified documentation back, I don’t feel comfortable mailing these documents? I live in Rhome, TX

  8. Lawyer said i go to office or website. My wife have s.s. card and need last name. my wife is not U.S. birth. She born Thailand. She have Marriage document, green card, U.S.driver’s license, and passport. need copy?

Leave a Reply - (comment policy)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *