Need to Change Your Name on Your Social Security Card?

social security card Are you changing your name? If so, let Social Security know so we can update your information, send you a corrected card, and make sure you get the benefits you’ve earned.

To change your name on your card, you must show us documents proving your legal name change and identity. If you are a U.S. citizen, you also must show us a document proving your U.S. citizenship, if it is not already in our records. You must present original documents or copies certified by the agency that issued them. We can’t accept photocopies or notarized copies.

To prove your legal name change, you must show one of the following documents:

  • Marriage document;
  • Divorce decree;
  • Certificate of naturalization showing a new name; or
  • Court order for a name change.

To prove your identity, you must show an unexpired document showing your name, identifying information, and photograph, such as one of the following:

  • U.S. driver’s license;
  • State-issued non-driver’s identification card; or
  • U.S. passport.

If you don’t have one of those documents available, we may be able to accept your:

  • Employer identification card;
  • School identification card;
  • Health insurance card; or
  • U.S. military identification card.

To prove your U.S. citizenship, you must show one of the following documents:

  • U.S. birth certificate;
  • U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad;
  • U.S. passport (unexpired);
  • Certificate of Naturalization; or
  • Certificate of Citizenship.

Whatever your reason for your name change, Social Security is here to help you with the new… you! Fill out the form online and follow the instructions to ensure your Social Security card is delivered in a timely manner. You can also locate your local field office so you can apply for your updated card and show your required documents in person.

For complete instructions, visit our website, which includes information for non-citizens. And remember, if you simply need to replace a lost Social Security card, but don’t need to change your name, you can — in most states — request your replacement card online using your my Social Security account.


1,049 thoughts on “Need to Change Your Name on Your Social Security Card?

  1. I received a medicare card in the mail and it was issued with my previous name before I got married and changed my name with social security. I now have a social security card, passport and CA drivers license with my correct married name from about two years ago. Can you please correct your records and notify Medicare so they will issue me a new card in my correct name. I have all the correct legal documents to prove i changed my name. Medicare says your records still indicate my name is Manena N Seamons. I have changed it to Manena N Harper. My phone number is 707-396-8000. thanks for your help in correcting this matter.

  2. Senikartu adalah situs judi qq online resmi dan terpercaya di indonesia yang memberikan berbagai layanan serta fasilitas bermain judi pkv games dan pastinya bisa mendapatkan banyak sekali keuntungan. Disini kalian bisa bermain 9 jenis macam permianan yang sudah disediakan oleh situs qq online ini yang pastinya memiliki persentase kemenangan yang sangat tinggi. Dalam situs bandarq online ini kalian bakal disuguhkan layanan costumer service yang selalu online selama 24 jam setiap harinya, dan buat kalian yang ingin mendapatkan kemenagnan dengan sangat mudah maka saya menyarankan anda untuk ikut bergabung dan bermain judi online di situs Senikartu dibawah ini Judi Sakong

  3. I need the address to mail in the info to get my name changed due to getting married. Our local office is closed due to CV-19 and I dont want a delay in getting my new ss card.


Leave a Reply to Ann Clifton, Public Affairs Specialist Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *