Let Us Help Jazz Up Your Retirement Plan

Let US Help Jazz Up Your Retirement PlanListening to jazz will have you singing and dancing to the beat of one of America’s most beloved musical genres.

Ella Fitzgerald, the “Queen of Jazz,” known for her scatting style, had a vocal range spanning three octaves. Other great jazz icons include Dizzy Gillespie, Benny Goodman, Louis Armstrong, Herbie Hancock, and Wynton Marsalis.

These jazz greats not only have music in common, but they either received, receive, or will be eligible to receive Social Security retirement benefits. Wynton Marsalis, at age 53, is approaching retirement. Herbie Hancock, at age 74, is already old enough to receive full Social Security retirement benefits. A lot of planning and preparation made these artists successful. If you want to be successful in your retirement years, financial planning is important for hitting all the high notes.

You don’t have to scat like Ella, or blow your horn like Wynton, Dizzy, and Louis, to plan for retirement. If you’re making retirement plans, you’ll want to visit Social Security’s website to use our retirement planner. You’ll find detailed information about your Social Security retirement and what you may want to consider as you prepare for your future.

Our Retirement Estimator will give you an instant, personalized estimate of your future benefits. You can plug in different retirement ages and scenarios to help you make a decision. If you’re ready to apply for retirement benefits, visit us online.

Creating a secure my Social Security account is another way to fine-tune your retirement. With an account, you can verify your posted earnings and get retirement estimates for ages 62, 67, and 70. Opening a my Social Security account is safe, easy, and only takes a few minutes.

Louis Armstrong’s “What a Wonderful World” may come to mind as you visit our website to jazz up your retirement planning!


14 thoughts on “Let Us Help Jazz Up Your Retirement Plan

  1. I have been receiving ss since I was 63yrs. 3mo.. My wife has been getting spousal since she turned 66. Everything is on my ss number. How can she find out what her ss benefit will be when she turns 70? No online methods have worked as yet, my social security, benefit calculators. Thank you, Ann & Jerry Marcus

      • I stopped working in 2006 how can I get an estimate of my benefits I don’t plan on working but want to wait until age 70. husband still working full time he is 10 years younger. should I go in person to office

        • We can save you the trip, Enid. When you use our Retirement Estimator you can get estimates based on your actual Social Security earnings. Or you can use our online calculator where you can test various scenarios and retirement ages to estimate your benefits. You can also create a my Social Security account to review estimates of your retirement, disability, and survivors benefits, your earnings record, and the estimated Social Security and Medicare taxes you’ve paid.

    • Ann and Jerry, we apologize for the inconvenience that you are experiencing. Unfortunately, once a person is receiving benefits, we cannot provide an estimate of benefits online. For security reasons, we do not have access to information about personal accounts in this venue. Please continue to work with your local office on the specifics of your case. You can also call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778). Representatives are available Monday through Friday between 7:00a.m. and 7:00p.m to assist you. Generally, you’ll have a shorter wait time if you call later in the week. We hope this helps.

  2. Do you think it is smart to list all of your personal information on the internet this way? I mean seriously …you should think about this BEFORE you post!

  3. If you click on the comment policy (above) you will see that your post is against policy. It will/(should) be removed by the administrator soon.

  4. I was born in the U.S. And worked for nearly 30 years before marrying a Canadian and moving to Canada. I now am employed full time in Canada and plan to retire after working 10 years in Canada.

    How do I apply for sis and how may I find out how much I will receive so I may plan?

    • Canada and the US have reciprocal retirement rules. Read about that on socialsecurity.gov – use Google to find where it is on the site.

    • Anne, if you work outside the United States, different rules may apply in determining if you can get your benefit checks. The United States has bilateral Social Security agreements with 24 countries, and these agreements improve benefit protection for workers who have divided their careers between the United States and another country. You can get information about our international agreements, or if you have specific questions about your information, please contact your local Embassy or Consulate to discuss your options.

    • Great question Norman! Most individuals that worked under the Civil Service Retirement System or CSRS, did not pay into Social Security, and are subject to the Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP). The WEP can affect how we calculate your benefit amount, resulting in a lower Social Security benefit than you otherwise would receive. Hope this helps!

Leave a Reply - (comment policy)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *