Lend a Helping Hand and You Can Make a Difference

homelessLife can change in the blink of an eye. One moment you live in a warm, safe place; the next moment you can find yourself without a roof over your head.

Who do you turn to? Where can you go?

This is a reality for millions of Americans every day. Fortunately, we can help — but we need your help. If you know of someone in your community who is homeless, you can let them know they’re not in it alone. Social Security provides services to the homeless.

People who are homeless can apply for benefits and, if found eligible, can have their benefits deposited directly into a personal banking account, a Direct Express debit bankcard, or another electronic account. They can also have their benefits sent to a third party or, if necessary, a representative payee can receive their funds.

Social Security also works with other agencies to help the homeless. At our website, you can learn more about the Health Care for the Homeless program that provides grants to a network of local public and non-profit private organizations. Social Security participates in the Federal Inter-agency Reentry Council, as well as the Projects for Assistance in Transition from Homelessness (PATH) program. PATH helps people with serious mental health issues or people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness.

Homelessness is a complicated and emotional. It is tough to think of a relative or a friend living in this kind of reality. It happens more often than we like it to think but as a community and nation, we can help. Educating our community is the first step. Visit our website to learn about the safety net that Social Security provides.


79 thoughts on “Lend a Helping Hand and You Can Make a Difference

  1. ” If some one needs an expert vjew on the topic of blogging and site-building then i advise him/her to pay a visit tto this web site, Keep up the good job. ”


  2. I need to make an appointment with Orange county(Zip 92804) Social Security Office?
    How can i make an appointment?
    Please, let me know soon.
    Thank you!

  3. hello,
    i would like to set up a social security account online account for my eldlery mother. I am her POA how does that work?

    • Hello Susan. For security reasons, you can only create a my Social Security account using your own information and for your own exclusive use. You cannot create or use an account on behalf of another person, even if you have that person’s written permission.
      Remember, we take protecting the public’s personal information very seriously.
      Please note that having a “Power of Attorney” does not give you legal authority to manage payments for someone receiving Social Security or SSI benefits. If your mother needs help managing her benefits, you may be interested in applying to become her Representative Payee. As a representative payee, you will have access to your mother’s records and the ability to update her account information.
      A face-to-face interview is required when applying to be someone’s representative payee. If your mother cannot be present, a statement from her doctor would be helpful. The statement should say that your mother is not able to -mentally and physically- manage her Social Security benefits and identify you as the person responsible to keep her finances in order. Please read our publication: A Guide For Representative Payees for more information.
      If you have specific questions, or to make an appointment with the local Social Security office, please call 1-800-772-1213 Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Generally, you will have a shorter wait time if you call later during the day or later in the week. Thanks!

  4. I’ve read a few just right stuff here. Definitely price bookmarking for revisiting.

    I wonder how so much attempt you set to create any such great
    informative web site. viagra generic

    • Hi Pam. Because of privacy and security concerns, you will not be able to conduct Social Security business on behalf of another individual unless you are their representative payee. Having a power of attorney, being an authorized representative, or having a joint bank account with them does not authorize you to access information on their Social Security record. If the individual that you are helping is not capable of managing and directing their Social Security benefits, someone should consider applying to be their payee. To learn more about becoming a representative payee, you can read our publication, “A Guide for Representative Payees” or visit our Representative Payee webpage.

      If they are capable of managing their benefits, they may be able to change their address online.

      You can call us at 1-800-772-1213 for assistance or you can contact your local Social Security office. Please look for the general inquiry telephone number at the Social Security Office Locator. The number may appear under Show Additional Office Information. Please be aware that our call wait times are longer than normal. We hope this information helps.

Leave a Reply to Ray Fernandez, Public Affairs Specialist Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *