Join the 19 Million People who have my Social Security Accounts

A woman uses a computerAt some point in his or her life, almost every American will need, or will at least be eligible for, Social Security benefits. Our website has quickly become our newest hub for many of our customers to conduct their business with us.

Already more than half of our customers who apply for retirement or disability benefits, or who submit a Medicare claim, do so online.

Here’s why:

Our suite of online services is convenient, secure, and easy to navigate. And, we continually refine and add services.

Head to our website to find out what benefits you can apply for by using our screening tool to help identify all the Social Security programs you might be eligible for.

For example, if you applied for Social Security benefits, you can check the status of your application online.

You can also file an appeal on a decision made on your disability claim or get a replacement Medicare Card.

Maybe you want to know if you can get Extra Help with your Medicare prescription drug costs.

What about using our Retirement Estimator for a retirement estimate based on real time access to your earnings record.

Create a free my Social Security account to see all the information tailored to you.

You can view your Social Security Statement and verify your earnings records, since missing or inaccurate information could affect the amount of your future benefit.

If you need information from us to complete business with someone else, we make some of that information available with my Social Security. Download a replacement SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S for tax season, or get a letter to verify that you are, or aren’t, receiving benefits.

If you receive monthly benefits, you can easily change the address and telephone number you want to use and start or change your direct deposit information.

If you are blind or visually impaired, choose alternate ways to receive information from Social Security – whatever works best for you.

Join millions who are using our online services. And, personalize your experience by creating a my Social Security account today!


87 thoughts on “Join the 19 Million People who have my Social Security Accounts

    • I will be glad to answer any questions you have for me anytime. Please email me or call me at xxx-xxx-xxxx . My illness is getting worse so I would like to resolve any questions or issues as soon as possible. Look forward to hearing from you. Thank you

      • Debra, we’re sorry to hear that your condition is worsening. We do not have access to your personal information, therefore, we do not make outgoing phone calls or send personal emails from this venue. If you have a pending disability claim, we ask that you continue working with your local office on specific questions about your case. You can also call our toll-free number at 1-800-772-1213 for assistance. Representatives are available Monday through Friday between 7:00a.m. and 7:00p.m. Generally, you’ll have a shorter wait time if you call later in the week.

        Just a reminder – please be cautious about posting personal information such as your phone number on social media. We hope this information is helpful.

    • Thanks for your question, Don. To correct your earnings record, you will need to provide us evidence of your earnings, such as W-2s, pay stubs, etc. If you don’t have the evidence that we require, call your former employers to find out if they can help you. Once you’ve obtained your evidence, call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778). Representatives are available Monday through Friday between 7:00a.m. and 7:00p.m. Generally, you’ll have a shorter wait time if you call later in the week. You can also take your evidence into your local office. We hope you get this matter resolved soon!


  2. My wife Pauline A Kehoe was born March 26, 1925 and unfortunately is a notch baby and I’m sure our legislators are just waiting for her to die so they will not have to pay her what by rights is legally hers. Why in God’s was this ever allowed that those folks that were born in those unfortunate years were not able to be given the same financial means as someone else before and after them. It is one of the grievous and unfair things are government has ever done, but rest assured she is going on 91 and statistics show she will not live much longer and then it won’t make much difference.

    • I had to look up notch baby to understand what the issue was. According to AARP (, the notch people were over paid on the COLA (flawed formula) which was passed in 1972 into law. Their benefits were gradually reduced to compensate for that over payment.
      I would trade your predicament over mine. Benefits were reduced for people retiring now when Social Security was reformed in the mid eighties. Also high earners like me pay more in to the program but receive less than actuary would be due to give higher benefits to lower earners. This is where bend points come into play and also the inflation adjustment for past earning years. Higher earners do not have their earnings adjusted fully for inflation. To boot almost all of my and wife’s benefit will be subject to income tax. That is tolerable to me as that tax goes back into Social Security and helps the program actuarially. If it went into the general fund to help billionaires and millionaires get tax cuts I would be livid. If you have lived long enough to collect Social Security you know that life is not perfectly fair. Never was.

      • That is the truth. I believe your benefits now should be based off you because the system in its long standing should have gradually changed as it evolved. I myself maxed my social security at age 38 and will pay for two people. I am mentally exhausted with what I have done for over 22 years and those in those that chose to do the minimal will be taking advantage of what I have paid…..This system has not adjusted with the times and it should be what you get is what you put into it……our government elected folks..all jokes truly

  3. 68 yrs. old reciving SS benefits, my wife is 60 she never worked in the US, but she has a valid SS#, is she entitled to recibe SS benefits from my pension. ????…thank you

    • Victor, even if your wife has never worked under Social Security, she may be eligible to receive spouse’s benefits on your record. In order for someone to receive spousal benefits, she or he must be 62 years of age, and her or his spouse must be receiving benefits. To learn more and to compute retirement for spouses, please see our Benefits for Your Spouse page.

  4. I appreciate many innovations the Social Security Administration have put in place to make online application easy for obtaining retirement benefits.But I think one area they need to look into is as concerning those applying for benefits online outside the Americas who could not provide residential address and zip code like those living in the Americas.I believe this would not be difficult.Thanks!

  5. When my cousin turned 68 he went to the local Social Security office and signed up for his benefits. He told me not only was he getting his benefits, but Social Security was giving 6 months back pay. Since then I read that Social Security has a policy of giving individuals age 67 or older 6 months back pay whether they ask for it or not. I am 69 and in the position where I can afford to wait till age 70 to collect my benefits, but I do not want any back pay only my full benefit. Will Social Security automatically give me back pay if I don’t tell them not to?

    • Good question, Ronnie! When people reach their Full Retirement Age, they can choose to start receiving benefits before the month they apply. We allow up to six months of retroactivity payments, but we cannot pay retroactive benefits for any month before you reached full retirement age. The choice of receiving up to six month of retroactivity payments is yours. You can also wait to apply and start receiving your retirement benefits at age 70 and earn Delayed Retirement Credits, which are an increase in the monthly benefit amount due a beneficiary for each month, after full retirement age, that benefits are due but not paid.

  6. Since I live outside the US, what I REALLY need is an on-line alternative to snail-mail for the SSA-7162 form, since the (so-called) postal (so-called) system in my country, Thailand, is unreliable at best. Any possibility of something like this being implemented before it becomes irrelevant, i.e., I die?

  7. My wife Has worked in the Texas school system and has not paid in to S.S for last 15 years. She will draw benefits from Texas State when she retires at 62. Will she also be able to draw from S.S on my acct as my wife!

    • Thank you for your question, Robert. Your wife will be eligible for spouse’s benefits on your record at age 62. She may also qualify for retirement benefits on her own record, if she worked for a different employer before working for the Texas school system. She only needs to have 40 credits, or 10 years of work paying Social Security taxes. However, a pension based on work that is not covered by Social Security may cause the amount of her Social Security benefit to be reduced. Her spouse benefits can be reduced based on the Government Pension Offset. Benefits on her own record can be affected by the Windfall Elimination Provision. Your wife can create a mySocialSecurity account to review her earnings record, and the estimated Social Security and Medicare taxes she’s paid. We hope this information helps!

  8. What happens when you move into an apartment and your benefit is just enough to pay for your rent then it get cut do you go back to the street or can you work to cover the costs to live independently I need the help for I gave all of my life away to get better and now I can’t work a full year my body will not let me I always have to stop for at least one month or more

  9. Free DIRT (Disability Insurance Reallocation Tax) Act of 2016-2020 HA-7-7-15

    To avoid burdening the U.S. Supreme Court with the responsibility for criminally convicting the SSA Actuary, Commissioner and Trustees (ACT) in 2016 for deprivation of relief benefits under 18USC§246 when they conspire to cut DI benefits to 80% because the DI Trust Fund will be completely depleted under “current law”, whereas: (a) the SSA Actuary has not gotten right FDR’s infamous “pain the OASDI tax rate calculus”, that takes a week to differentiate the first time, the Chief Actuary has responded to the President in regards to the OASDI reallocation question with a common wrong answer – 2.7% – October 1, 2015 is not too late for Congress to get the OASDI FICA tax rate right to avoid depletion of the DI Trust Fund in FY2016; (b) SSA administrators are peculiarly obsessed with continuing their $666 persecution on DI beneficiaries in violation of the 42 month limit (Revelation 13:10) when a beneficiary receiving $600-$699 a month should automatically receive an increase to $700 plus annual COLA thereafter; (c) Congress and other rich taxpayers should not be compelled to contribute their incomes above $118,500 (2015) to the attached, but separate roll-call vote, on the 130% increase in tax-base that would be derived from the OASDI Without Income Limit Law (WILL) and shared with the U.S. Treasury, until the SSA Actuary has calculated the baseline in dollar amounts for the optimal OASDI reallocation tax rate, projected to pay benefits until 2020, at no cost to taxpayers, free.

    To immediately amend the DI tax rate from 1.80% to 2.30%, from 0.90% to 1.15% for employees and from 0.90% to 1.15% for employers under Sec. 201(b)(1)(S) of the Social Security Act 42USC(7)II§401 and amend the OASI tax rate from 10.60% to 10.10%, from 5.30% to 5.05% for employees under 26USC(C)(21)(A)§3101 (a) and from 5.30% to 5.05% for employers under 26USC(C)(21)(A)§3111 (a) to avoid depletion of the Disability Insurance (DI) Trust Fund in 2016 without increasing the overall 12.4% OASDI or 15.3% OASDI and Hospital Insurance (HI) tax-rate under 26USC(A)(2)§1401 beginning October 1, 2015.

    To amend the DI tax rate again in 2018 to 2.20% from 2.30%, from 1.15% to 1.10% for employees and from 1.15% to 1.10% for employers under Sec. 201(b)(1)(S) of the Social Security Act 42USC(7)II§401 and amend the OASI tax rate from 10.10% to 10.20%, from 5.05% to 5.10% for employees under 26USC(C)(21)(A)§3101 (a) and from 5.05% to 5.10% for employers under 26USC(C)(21)(A)§3111 (a) without increasing the overall 12.4% OASDI or 15.3% OASDI and Hospital Insurance (HI) tax-rate under 26USC(A)(2)§1401 to maximize efficiency until a deficit appears in the OASI Trust Fund in 2020.

    Without Income Limit Law (WILL) Act

    To abolish the maximum taxable limit on DI contributions on January 1, 2016 and OASI contributions January 1, 2017 and repeal Adjustment of the contribution and benefit base Section 230 of the Social Security Act 42USC(7)§430.

    To require the Social Security Administration to pay for SSI Costs beginning January 1, 2017.

    To share profits in excess of social security program costs to the general fund of the U.S Treasury on a sliding scale beginning in 2017 DI 50/50 prioritizing the $22 billion + 2% annual growth cost of USPS, and OASI 10/90 to eliminate the federal budget deficit. In 2020 OASI would share at negotiated rates an estimated 25/75, in 2025 OASDI would share 50/50 and by 2030 75/25 and at 2035 OASDI would take all to pay for the peak in costs of Baby Boomer generation and might need to raise the overall OASDI tax rate.

    CC. Actuary

  10. My wife and I left USA in 1981, lived in India till 1999 and now live in Singapore. We have been receiving Social Security payments since 1990s. I believe I served my employers fully and faithfully and am thankful I am receiving support in my and my wife’s old ages. We do not receive or seek any additional services or other support from the USA. If the payments are for my past services, why is 30% of my meagre income taxed in USA at 30%? Is there an appeal process against it? — Prof Krishna

  11. My father is a notch baby, born March 1921. When my mother died 13 years ago, he was told he could not receive her benefits because of this. At the time she was receiving considerably more per month than him. Has this ruling changed so he could try again or is he stuck receiving less than 250 a month?

  12. Please, I pray that I find sanity, hope, a reason to live or remember how being calm feels, simply to believe there is something positive in my future…
    Moreover to have a pleasant feeling as opposed to never ending apathetic manic depressive fear, terror, anxiety causing unmeasurable stress in my chest, on my heart- which I’ve always known will be my death. The confusion and frustration that is harbors in my brain, I can’t explain- I can’t go on hopeless without pride, ashamed of myself, in severe pain, terrified of “everything”. I have been respectfully attempting with sincere humility to obtain assistance from SSDI, SSI, – programs I have paid into my entire life, I need help so badly, I constantly am turned away, denied multiple,
    multiple times, I have never been in trouble with the law yet I was completely treated with extreme intimidation by an ALJ, blaitent misrepresentation and falsely advised by a law office, I still fill out packets providing all information requested, and still denied. I have nothing, I try, I can’t go on any longer- I’m shaking so very badly I can’t think or type.
    faded thought I believe I felt before, comprehend struggling am unable to find words that would merely give xpress he severity of overwhelming, uncontrollable, debilitating and progressive depression, suffer consistently throughout this so called ‘life’, that I through n”comment”

  13. I start receiving disability this Sept and I have tried several times to sign up for my social security account but for some reason it keeps telling me that an account can not be processed under my SS number, can you help?

    • Hi Angel. We apologize for your inconvenience. If you’re having difficulty creating a my Social Security account, please call 1-800-772-1213. After you hear “Briefly tell me why you are calling,” please say “Help Desk” for help with creating a my Social Security account. Sometimes it might be best to visit your local Social Security office for further assistance.

  14. As a ssa disability recipient, I am in need of a statement ascertaining my disability and when the disability decision will be up for review. how do I acquire this info?

  15. I will be 64 years old this coming October can I file a benefit out from my husband and still continue working, as for now I only have 39 credits but I don’t know if how much I will be getting out from my own

    • Good question, Delia. Yes, you may file for spousal benefits under your husband’s record as long as he is already receiving benefits. However, if you are between age 62 and your full retirement age, your spousal benefit will be permanently reduced by a percentage based on the number of months up to your full retirement age. Also, if you are under full retirement age and you continue to work while receiving benefits, your benefits may be affected by the retirement earnings test. For more information, please read our publication: “What Every Woman Should Know”.

  16. I am a 67 years old US Citizen living outside USA and receiving SS benefits. I cannot sign up for “my Social Security” account and take advantage of the online system. I have to rely on slow and unreliable mailing systems of the early 20th century. The internet connects all people worldwide but “my Social Security” is limited to just people living in the US. I can understand in the case of non-US citizen but for the US citizen they should be allowed. The US Government have the embassies all over the world and I am sure they can be able to prove identity or existence of any citizen at any time if needed. Why can’t you let every citizen sign up no matter where they live?

  17. I am 57 years old (female).with breast cancer. I have a 15 year old child. If I die could my daughter receive ss benefits or my husband who is 58.

  18. I have tried to open an account and it tells me my info. does not match. I am 73 and have received my benefits since age 66. What gives.

    • Roger, we apologize for your inconvenience. Please call 1-800-772-1213. After you hear “Briefly tell me why you are calling,” please say “Help Desk” for help with a my Social Security account. Sometimes it might be best to visit your local Social Security office for further assistance. We hope this helps.

  19. My question concerns the “Disability” Social Security “Trustfund”. I was not aware there was a separate disability trust fund until last week. In the news lately has been reports that the disability soc sec trust fund will run out of money in 2016. My question is: Where do the current funds come from that go into the disability trust fund? Is it a percentage of the funds that go into the “regular” soc security trust fund? Thanks.

  20. I was overpaid and had to repay S/S. I sent a check in envelope supplied by S/S in May. Contacted S/S twice in May And June. They told me I shouldn’t have sent payment to national s c. I should have paid local office. I went to local office to find out why check hasn’t been cashed yet. They should me a printed paper saying the check was received and paid in full. So far check has not been cashed. why does it take two months to cash check that has been received?

    • Matthew, sorry for the inconvenience. It can take up to three months to complete this type of transaction, but your check should be cashed or clear soon after your payment is reflected on your record. Unfortunately we do not have access to personal information on this blog – we encourage you to continue working with your local office for further assistance.

  21. I ‘m 68 and applied for social security and I was told that
    I do not qualify because I only have 39 points. What can I do to get the one point I need?

    • Willie, points or Social Security Credits are the “building blocks” we use to find out whether you have the minimum amount of covered work to qualify for Social Security benefits. Benefits cannot be paid if you do not have enough credits. This year (2015), you must earn $1,220 in covered earnings to get the 1 additional credit you need. If you work for an employer, we count your gross wages; if you are self-employed, we count your net earnings. You will need to return to your local office with proof of your 2015 earnings, and apply again for your retirement benefits.

  22. Here is my situation: I live outside USA. Six years ago, my company businesses’ were brought down for reasons which are inexplicable here, and I haven’t gotten any other sources of earnings or business at all. If I opened a my social security account and wouldn’t be able to remit my SS taxes, how will the law affect me.

    • Hi Ogwal, at this time you must have a U. S. mailing address to create or to access your online account. The “my Social Security” authentication system requires address verification as one of the essential criteria for issuing an account. People with APO/FPO/DPO addresses can create an account overseas, but our system does not support registration and account creation for users with a foreign address yet. Please contact your local U.S. embassy or consulate for any assistance related to your Social Security benefits. For tax related questions, you will need to contact the IRS. We hope this information helps!

    • Hi Zeeshan, if you’re referring to opening or creating a “my Social Security account”, you must have a U. S. mailing address to create or to access your online account. The “my Social Security” authentication system requires address verification as one of the essential criteria for creating an account. People with APO/FPO/DPO addresses can create an account overseas, but our system does not support registration and account creation for users with a foreign address yet. Please contact your local U.S. embassy or consulate for assistance related to Social Security benefits. We hope this information helps!

  23. My husband recently received a statement from SSA and noticed that he is not eligible for disability due to lack of credits. He is a self employed farmer. We recently had our taxes for last year prepared and asked our taxpreparer if he has been paying in for him each year. We were totally surprised when he said he hasn’t since 2006! Can anything be done about this? Can he back-pay to receive those credits? He is 56 years old.

  24. My daughter is a minor and I’m the payee for her survivor benefits. If she can’t have her own mySSA account and her benefits don’t show up on my account, how am I supposed to manage her account and information?

  25. Hi. I’m 72 years old and am trying to find how many work credits I have so far. I have worked on and off for many years, and must be close to the required 40 credits but do not know how close. I reviewed the 1099 form and it doesn’t say how many credits I have. I have an SSA account and have looked everywhere. Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

    • Hi Mary Ann, please call our toll-free number, 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) for assistance. Representatives are available between 7a.m. and 7p.m., Monday through Friday. Generally, you’ll have a shorter wait time if you call later in the week. Thanks!

  26. I have set up a payment plan with SSA for an overpayment. I recently made my first payment and the check still hasn’t cleared my bank. How long does it usually take from the time I pay my local office for the check to be processed and sent to my bank? Just wondering if I should pay with a money order from now on so I don’t have to worry about a check clearing every month.

    • Thank you for your question Ashley. Payments and remittances made to Social Security Administration are centralized and can take several weeks to clear your bank account. Perhaps, money orders may be a better alternative for you to avoid having to wait for your check to process through your bank account. Remember to keep records of your payments. Mailed payments should be sent to: Social Security Administration, P.O. Box 3430, Philadelphia, PA 19122-2992.

  27. Please help me answer this question. Thanks.

    I’m an international student studying here in the US. I’m not a US citizen. I’ve got my SSN number last June.

    Can I create online account in such case? Thanks.

  28. To whom it may concern if we TO bad I am disable my SSi is top on March first none on my bills is pay rent, telefone cable transportation and more thank you social security administration. Thanks again

  29. I have been refused a My Social Security account. No explanation why. I wanted to get some information for my tax return. Lost the 2017 paperwork. I requested a replacement, but I thought I would be able to get the information on the internet.

    • Hi Martin! f you’re referring to a replacement Form SSA-1099, you can get one by using your personal my Social Security account. If you are unable to create an account or encounter a problem with your my Social Security account, please call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. At the voice prompt, say “helpdesk”; or contact your local Social Security office. Thanks.

      • I understand that I can get the 1099 info from a my social security account. I get rejected in trying to set up an account. I can’t wait hours on hold for an agent. Is it possible that someone else has set up an account in my name?

  30. Sure wish SS programmers WOULD go to work NOE TO simplify your complex and convoluted internet site. Nearly impossible to navigate so i gave up never to attempt again. Someone MUST ROLL UP THEIR SLEEVES AND GO TO WORK OR REWORK THIS MISERABLE AND WORTHLESS PIECE OF JUNK.

  31. I’m having difficulty opening an online acct, with my entered info said to be in error. I receive benefits, & want to change my residence address & direct deposit info.

    • We’re sorry to hear that you had difficulty creating an account, Mary. For assistance with the “my Social Security” account, please call our dedicated my Social Security-Hotline. To reach this hotline, call 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. At the voice prompt, say “helpdesk”. Or contact your local Social Security office. Thanks!

  32. I changed my direct deposit to new account 07/19/2018 but didn’t receive it today how do I find where it went to the new account are old account

    • Hello Scott. Contact the financial institutions where you had or have your accounts or call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 for assistance. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Generally, you will have a shorter wait time if you call later during the day or later in the week.

  33. My brother suggested I would possibly like this blog. He was once entirely right. This put up actually made my day. You can not believe just how a lot time I had spent for this information! Thank you!|

    • Hi Marin. We are so glad that find our blog helpful. We appreciate your positive feedback! Certainly, we’ll continue trying to provide the best possible service to our customers in all forums.

    • Hello Brenda. You can only create a personal my Social Security account using your own personal information and for your own exclusive use. Individuals must be at least 18 years of age to create an account. Thanks!

  34. I found your blog website on google and examine a few of your early posts. Continue to maintain up the very good operate. I just extra up your RSS feed to my MSN Information Reader. Seeking ahead to studying more from you later on!…

    • Thank you for contacting us, Kay. Unfortunately, and because of security reasons, we do not have access to personal records in this blog and cannot assist you.

      To inquire about your benefit payment, you will have to contact your local office or call our toll-free number at 1-800-772-1213. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.

  35. Can I create an account for my child? I am looking to retrieve her social security card number. I do not need a replacement card, just the number.

    Thank you,
    Denise Crawford

  36. NOV 29 2019

  37. I know yesterday was Thanksgiving but today Friday isn’t a federal holiday so why is it my local SSI office stayed closed and I need my check today,, not on the second. Unfair and illegally to make me wait

Leave a Reply to marilyn b Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *