Online Services

Improve Your Retirement with a my Social Security Account

October 23, 2017 • By

man and woman smiling, looking at laptop September was National Self-Improvement Month, but it’s always a good time to focus on your health and wellness. While you do that, make sure your retirement is healthy, too, by opening a secure, personal, my Social Security account.

Registering only takes a few minutes at www.socialsecurity.gov/myaccount. You’ll be asked some basic questions to verify your identity. Then you’ll choose a user name and password. Pretty soon you’ll be registered and have full access to many of our services.

At Social Security, our highest priority is protecting the privacy and security of the personal information we maintain on you and almost every American so you can rest assured that doing business online with us is both safe and secure.

Once you establish an account, you’ll have access to a wealth of information that will improve your chances of a successful retirement. You’ll be able to verify your earnings history, get an estimate of your future benefit amount at retirement, and get an estimate of your benefits should you become disabled.

With your my Social Security account you can view and print your Statement whenever you like.

You can also improve your experience of receiving retirement benefits by establishing a my Social Security account to manage your benefits. You can set up your Direct Deposit within minutes by going to my Social Security and signing up for an account. Then, go to the My Profile tab and follow the instructions on the screen. Once you establish a my Social Security account, you’ll be able to change your address or update your direct deposit, print a benefit verification letter, get a replacement Medicare card and a replacement SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S statement.

Once you’ve established your my Social Security account, you’ll want to check out our redesigned website. We’ve done some self-improvement of our own based on your suggestions, and we’ve made all of our services available from the home page. We’ve also made our website easier to navigate and more accessible on mobile devices such as tablets and smart phones.

Why not join the nearly 36 million who have improved their chances at a good retirement by establishing an account on my Social Security at www.socialsecurity.gov/myaccount.

Tags: , , , ,

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications

Comments

1. Joseph Ciesla

Need help, locked out of my account. I may have been declared deceased for the second time since June 2018. This is becoming a serious hardship for me

• Ray Fernandez, Public Affairs Specialist

We’re sorry for the inconveniences, Joseph. If you are still having trouble accessing your account, please call our dedicated my Social Security-Hotline. To reach this hotline, call 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. At the voice prompt, say “helpdesk”; or
      •Contact your local Social Security office. Thanks!

2. william r.

Called the Help Desk, which was no help. according to the SSA Help Desk I have been permanently locked out of attempting to set up a My Social Security Account. The Help Desk said I need to go to a Social Security Office. The problem is I live in Thailand, and there is no Social security Rep at the Bangkok Embassy the closest is in The Philippines . There has got to be some way to set up an account without having to travel thousands of miles. Why is Social Security making this so difficult.

• Vonda VanTil

We appreciate you using our blog to communicate with us! At this time you must have a U. S. mailing address to create or to access your online account. The “my Social Security” authentication system requires address verification as one of the essential criteria for issuing an account. People with APO/FPO/DPO addresses can create an account overseas, but our system does not support registration and account creation for users with a foreign address yet. If you are living outside the United States, you can contact your nearest Federal Benefits Unit.

3. Cory L Mahoney

I need help setting up my account so I can ask questions without waiting half the day.

• Ray Fernandez, Public Affairs Specialist

If you are unable to create an account or encounter a problem with your my Social Security account, you may:
      •Call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. At the voice prompt, say “helpdesk”; or
      •Contact your local Social Security office. Thanks!

4. Harlin A. Pollard

I have tried repeatedly to set up my account online, never get past name, ss#, address page. Says information doesn’t match your records. I went to Cleburne office, they said no appointments for a long time out, just do it online. Tried again, blocked for 24 hours. Can someone please help me?

5. Bert Davich

Signing up for an online account is a JOKE! But NOT funny! I have tried over 50 times over 2 years and EVERY TIME it asks a series of questions that I answer correctly. It then says I answered incorrectly and locks me out! It thinks I lived somewhere I have not. I have attempted to get an account through a mail code but that never seems to arrive! And NO, I’m not computer illiterate, and have written math simulations for a commercial product. If there is anyone in ALL of social security that can fix this PLEASE help

6. cynthia mccollum

im trying to change my ss benfit from direct express to my check account.

• Ann Clifton, Public Affairs Specialist

Hi, Cynthia. If you are receiving Social Security retirement or disability, you can create a personal my Social Security account to change your direct deposit information online. If you are receiving Supplemental Security Income, you should contact your local office immediately. We hope this helps.

7. Khalil Nakhleh and Lois Nakhleh

My wife and I are moving to a new location; I like to inform you about my new mailing address so I continue to receive your information.

• Ann Clifton, Public Affairs Specialist

Hi. If you are receiving Social Security retirement or disability, you can create a personal my Social Security account to change your address online. If you are receiving Supplemental Security Income, you should contact your local office immediately. Thanks.

8. Ursula

Dress up! Wear that suit you never wear anymore, or the dress that makes you
    feel like a woman, and not just a mommy. Light
    some candles in the dining room, play some sexy
    music, and you’ve got the best spot in town without having to leave the house.

• Celine Evangelista

[https://kiosfilm21.site/ NONTON FILM ONLINE] hanya disini

9. Timothy L Kleckner

I need a copy of my work history. How do I get that?

10. David J Sudbeck

Where is the MyProfile tab to check you have my latest address?

• Ann Clifton, Public Affairs Specialist

Hi, David. If you still need assistance with your personal my Social Security account, you may:
      •Call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. At the voice prompt, say “helpdesk”; or
      •Contact your local Social Security office. Thanks.