Important Information About Reaching Social Security During the COVID-19 Pandemic

During the current coronavirus pandemic, we continue to provide help to you and other people in your communities.  While our offices are not providing service to walk-in visitors due to COVID-19, we remain ready and able to help you by phone with most Social Security business.  You can speak with a representative by calling your local Social Security office or our National 800 Number.  You can find local office phone numbers online by using our Social Security Office Locator.

We offer many secure and convenient online services, where you can:


  • Apply for Retirement, Disability, and Medicare benefits.
  • Check the status of an application or appeal.
  • Request a replacement Social Security card (in most areas).
  • Print a benefit verification letter and much more.

Although you can do most of your business with us online, we know that service channel isn’t right for everyone.  You can still count on us by phone.  If you have a critical situation and we cannot help you with by phone or online, we may be able to schedule an appointment for you.

If you need help, please don’t wait until we can see you in person.  Call us now and get the help you need.  We also understand that getting medical and other documentation can be difficult due to the pandemic, so we are continuing to extend certain deadlines wherever possible.


158 thoughts on “Important Information About Reaching Social Security During the COVID-19 Pandemic

  1. Hello. I recently became a US Citizen and wanted to see if I need to schedule an appointment to get my SS card updated or if I’m good with the one I have.

    • Congratulations, Gabriela! You will need to update your Social Security record by showing us your Certificate of Naturalization and completing an application for a replacement card. All documents must be either originals or certified copies by the issuing agency. We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents. If you do not want to mail in your documents, which will be returned, you may need to wait for the offices to reopen. Use our Social Security Office Locator to find your local office address.

      Visit our Social Security Number and Card web page for details on requesting a new, replacement or corrected Social Security card.

    • I became a citizen in May and I need to update my social security card. Can I schedule a appointment for that. I do not want to mail in my documents.

  2. Parent needs to update address. Online account suspended. Called SSA. Representative gave no options other than for me to call my local SSA office which is CLOSED! Told that my parent has to go in person when offices open. When will they open? She doesn’t know. What are we to do in this situation. I am taking my parent out of nursing home because they think it’s okay that at 10 o’clock at night my parent is still not back from dialysis because the transporter (third time) is late picking her up. Leaving her at the nursing home is like leaving her in a death trap with covid-19. And now SSA has NO options other than for her to wait to go to SSA “when they open”.
    1. I need her online account to have the suspension removed and able to reset the username and password.
    2. I need to change her address.
    3. I need to change her payee.

  3. i live in Lima, Peru, and annually receive SSA form 7162 by mail and return it to insure continuation of my SS benefits. Currently, the Post Office (Serpost) is closed (Covid 19) and will be for the foreseeable future. I will not be able to receive or return the Form 7162 to Social Security. What to do?

  4. I am trying to find out if I get Social Security when I retire. I am 70 years old have paid into Social Security (last statement showed I had the quarters needed), but when I go to my account it sends me in circles. My husband passed over 6 years ago–I did not received any SS from him and was told to check when I was ready to retire. Since I cannot talk with anyone, can you tell me if I would get SS?

    • Hi Patricia, thanks for using our blog. For your security, we do not have access to private information in this venue. We ask that members in our Blog community work with our offices with specific questions. You can call us at 1-800-772-1213 for assistance or you can contact your local Social Security office. Please look for the general inquiry telephone number at the Social Security Office Locator. The number may appear under Show Additional Office Information. Please be aware that our call wait times are longer than normal. We hope this information helps.

  5. I work for the Florida Department of Corrections and have understandably noticed that there has been a delay in getting Social Security Cards for inmates. I am looking to get a response back or a Covid-19 delay notification from your office just for our office to have on file for our Main Office. Thank you so much.

  6. what about apply for the first time to get a social security number work permit is not that sort of urgent to pay Medicines, bills or food??

    • Hi Patricia, thanks for using our blog. We will schedule an in-office appointment for a new card request for those with a critical need. Appointment availability is based on available staff and office operating status. Please call your local office to see if an in-office appointment is necessary and possible. To contact your local office, please look for the local office telephone number at the Social Security Office Locator under “Social Security Office Information” for the office you select. The toll-free “Office” number is your local office.

Leave a Reply - (comment policy)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *