General, Online Services, Retirement

How Social Security Helps Women Secure Today and Tomorrow

March 1, 2018 • By

Reading Time: 1 Minute

Last Updated: August 19, 2021

three women drinking coffee and smiling March is Women’s History Month — a time to focus not just on the past, but also on the challenges women continue to face in the 21st century. Today, more women are working than ever before, paying Social Security taxes, and earning credit toward monthly retirement income. With longer life expectancies than men, women tend to live more years in retirement and have a greater chance of exhausting other sources of income.

This means you should plan early and wisely!

Social Security provides financial benefits, tools, and information to help support you throughout life’s journey. Here are some tools to help you plan for your future:

  1. You can visit our Retirement Estimator. In just a few minutes, you can get a personalized, instant estimate of your retirement benefits. You should also visit Social Security’s planner pages to get detailed information about how marriage, widowhood, divorce, self-employment, government service, and other life or career events can affect your Social Security.
  2. We base your benefits on your lifetime earnings, so you should create your personal my Social Security account to verify that your earnings were reported correctly.
  3. For more information about the role of Social Security in women’s lives today, you can read Social Security: What Every Woman Should Know.
  4. You can visit our website for Women.

Take advantage of these tools today and begin planning for tomorrow’s journey.

Tags: , , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications


  1. Linda L.

    I really can not do much any more about my retirement.
    I am low income and 74 years old.

  2. Linda L.

    I am already retired and 74 years old.

  3. MrTakaphan T.

    My llc public affairs federal contract received my ssa retirement account holding pay on 03/28/2018, because my birth on 03/28/1954! Now stay in Thailand! Order on 03/2/2017

  4. Martha B.

    What does this cost the U.S. Taxpayer????

  5. Susan M.

    Social Security might work for some women, but since November of 2012, I have not received my SSI. I have been denied, lied to and discriminated against, even after the magistrate judge awarded in my favor. Nothing but the run around. I have been disabled since the early 1990’s, and still am. I have had to reapply when I shouldn’t have had to. I believe that I am being unjustly treated!

    • Snarky

      SSI is means tested. That means that if you are < 65, you have to be disabled AND you have to meet the income and resource tests. You can go to all the judges in the world and he can say you are disabled but you need to meet other eligibility requirements and the Judge can not change that, Congress can. So go bug your Congressman.

  6. Beverly W.

    My husband died this past October – 2017 – and Social Security is STILL figuring out what I’m supposed to be paid based on his Social Security account. HELP me, please. We were married for almost 53 years. My marriage to him was my ONLY marriage. Is there a reason this is taking so long? Please advise…thank you.

    • Tom

      Contact your local office. These issues cannot be resolved online where you should be safeguarding your private information, not sharing it. Your case may not still be in the local office, but delayed further down the line. They can supplement what you are receiving with a special payment in the meantime if you qualify.

    • Ray F.

      We’re sorry to hear of your husband’s passing, Beverly. Unfortunately, but for security reasons, we do not have access to personal records in this blog.
      Please continue working with your local office. You can request to speak with the office manager to see how we can help expedite resolution of your situation.
      If you are unable to visit the local office, you can call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Generally, you will have a shorter wait time if you call later during the day. Thanks.

  7. Jennifer B.

    Have no idea if Ex is still surviving son doesn’t understand have no idea where he is he is remarried I am on SSDI will be 59 this yr. I know his SSI number we were married 22 yrs. Please reply.

    • Ray F.

      Thank you for reaching out, Jennifer. Unfortunately, and because of security reasons we do not have access to personal records in this blog and cannot assist you in this matter. One of our representatives should be able to help you and provide more information.
      Please call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 for assistance. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Generally, you will have a shorter wait time if you call later during the day or later in the week. Thanks.

  8. Judy N.

    I feel SS is not fair to all women who worked for the Federal Govt. I worked 30 years and retired in 1994 however I retired in order to start a new career. I have worked and paid into SS however by being a Federal Retiree I have to take a 40% reduction in what I draw because of drawing a federal retirement. My federal retirement has not changed much because of health benefits rising. So I am penalized. That is why I am 70 years old and still work full=time

    • Tom

      Your problem is not with social security but with Congress. As with many commenters here, you readily confuse the two.

      Congress felt that government employees were double-dippers, even though you paid into both systems. You must have 30 significant years of work (or years of coverage) to lose that reduction. It should lessen with each new year of work you accrue to SSA’s records. If you feel the policy is unfair, you need to contact someone who can change the law. No one at SSA can do so.

      • Snarky

        Good reply!!

  9. Mele M.

    Mele A. Maimalanga (ph. 816 988 1887)

    • Ray F.

      You may be eligible to receive additional assistance from the state where you live. These services include Medicaid, free meals, housekeeping help, transportation or help with other problems. You can get information about services in your area from your state or local social services office.
      You can also visit the U. S. Department of Health and Human Services web page for more information. We hope this helps.

      • carols

        Hello Mele,

        Please contact you state Area Agency on Aging. This agency is responsible for implementing the Older Americans Act in your state. They provide many senior citizen programs for qualified seniors.

  10. Mele M.

    I need my own social security welfare because I can’t afford to live with my husband’s benefit only. I need more money to pay for my rent also n food. Thanks! Mele A. Maumalanga

    • Snarky

      SS is not welfare, ever think about moving?

Comments are closed.