56 thoughts on “Helping Women Secure Today and Tomorrow

    • Maybe, but with no further information an answer can’t be given. Also, this site is not designed to answer questions unique to an individual. Go into a SS office or call 1-800772-1213.

        • Stop being peevish. You aren’t giving enough information even if they could answer. Get ALL your information – Just the facts (as Jim Webb use to say) and go see or call them.

  1. I was PUNISHED by the local Food Stamp SNAP office for an unknown reason. The SNAP office ripped me off some $70.00 per month for the next coming 12 months when it renewed my annual reapplication. The SNAP people were rude, nonsensical and stated in word and in writing, “that i HAVE to be nice to THEM, or they can and will take away some or all of the SNAP allotment “. I am afraid to reapply because they can and will MAYBE take away even more of my SNAP food dollars, simply and just because they CAN. Please help. Please reply as soon as possible, from the Pacific Northwest Region of the U.S. of A.

        • Hi DeeMarie. We encourage discussions on our blog [Social Security Matters]. Our goal is to offer important retirement and disability-related solutions for readers. That said, please note that our official agency responses will always include the Social Security Administration (SSA) seal, and that we have an official social media team dedicated to posting messages and responses to customer inquiries or comments that specifically address SSA issues. While we welcome general participation from everyone, we ask that participants be considerate of others and to be polite when posting comments. Thank you for your support and for using our blog.

      • I Do receive a benefit from Social Security. The deal was to include SNAP and MEDICAL. The rip off happened this May 2017 and began effective June 2017.
        I am NOT a public assistance woman.

        • Social Security is NOT SNAP or Medicaid. These are all separate programs run by separate government agencies. Every government agency has its own website that tells you everything you need to know, and you can always call the proper office too. When you have an attitude of “they ripped me off” from the get-go, it’s not as easy to get cooperation & understanding. Try to remember the people who work in government offices are human just like you…how would you feel if your job was to help people with their questions and they started put with “you ripped me off?” Humans instinctively get on the defensive when approached in a hostile manner. If you think this is impolite, you are incorrect. I am not with the SSA, but I am knowledgeable about the system and I read all the information these government websites provide to us as citizens, so that’s how I get my information. Since you’re posting on this site, clearly you have access to a computer. Why not click around and explore the site, it’ll have links to all the other brnrgots/agencies you have questions about. You can’t just start off assuming the government means you harm and blame them, especially when you’re not even blaming the agency who handles that program. Again, SNAP, Medicaid, and Social Security are 3 separate programs handled by 3 separate governmental agencies. USES has SNAP, your state’s website will have the necessary Medicaid information, and Social Security is it’s own complete, separate agency. Hope this clarifies a little bit.

          • Good answer. Less emotional response and being more analytical would go a long way in solving the problem.

  2. I’m surprised at how little literature there is out there to help women who need to be on their own want to be on their own and have nowhere to go and have no choice but to stay in the situation they’re at. It really upsets me. Maybe I’m missing something I don’t know 🤷‍♀️

    • Your correct Cindy, little to none on the publications or literature about Food Stamps SNAP’s, I really need to know why that is ? And, sorry but I don’t follow your reply about woman ….who have no choice….what’s exactly unfair to you ? I don’t even know what that means ?

      • Are you serious??? There’s an entire website with links to nearly a dozen more websites, all related to the SNAP program! Information describing every aspect of the program in detail, including qualification criteria and links to income limits and poverty level guidelines etc; recipes, meal planning, nutritional advice, applications, referrals to other agencies, and HUNDREDS of publications you can download for free or order in hard copy, also for free! It’s hard to believe everone has computers, every piece of information in the world is available to us all, and just curiosity and a few clicks will take you there. Yet tragically, most people use these powerful tools for nothing more than social media and posting complaints about “the government” which are all wrong, simply because they lack information – information that’s been there all along, waiting for them to just look at it. Nope, people would rather get their (false and incorrect) information from crooked politicians with an agenda, and biased, uninformed TV personalities who don’t know what they’re talking about, either. That’s how FAKE information is perpetuated, when nobody looks the truth up for themselves, when it’s available to them straight from the horse’s mouth. “SAD!”

  3. I have no complaints social security administration because in the past they help me until now i am positive about my Word.

  4. I am 87 and my husband is 89. I know about the fact that if he predeceases me my income will change to his because he has earned more than I did. What worries me is that this change will force me to downsize again because I may not be able to continue to live where I AM TODAY. What plans are in the future to help women like me?

    • Why would you have to downsize? I’m not following you – if he made more than you, and your Social Security amount changes, you will receive that higher amount, if ypur benegit is less. Unless you’re thinking about having to live on only one Social Security income when he passes. But that can’t be what you mean either; why would you expect to receive two retirement incomes for one person anyway? That’s not the way it works. Sorry, I just didn’t understand your question.

  5. I learned that wife can receive one half of husband social security at age of 66. I’m at age 77 and my husband is 78. Is it too late to apply for theone half ? Will I get back pay from the age 66 to current?

    • If you receive more that 1/2 of his on your own record then you can’t get 1/2 of his. As a widow you’d probably get his amount

    • Thank you for your question Edith. Your benefit as a spouse can be equal to one-half of your husband’s full retirement amount only if you start receiving those benefits at your full retirement age. If a person begins to receive benefits at age 62 or prior to their full retirement age, their benefits are reduced. The reduction factors are permanently applied to all of the benefits the person may qualify for once they opt to start benefits at age 62 or at any time prior to their full retirement age.
      Remember, if you qualify for your own retirement benefits based on your own work history and also benefits as a spouse, we always pay your own benefits first. If your benefits as a spouse are higher than your own retirement benefits, you will get a combination of benefits equaling the higher spouse benefit. See our Retirement Planner: Benefits For You As A Spouse for more information. To see if you qualify for a higher benefit than what you are currently receiving, contact your local office or you may call our toll free telephone number at 1-800-772-1213, Monday through Friday between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. and ask a representative to assist you. We hope this helps.

      • Thank you for answering the question. But do I still get back pay from the time of age 66 to now or starting now once I apply for it.

        • It depends, if your husband put that he was married on his original application, and you were never notified to apply for your spousal benefit, Social Security may go all the way back to the date of his application or your Full Retirement Age of 66. Call your local Social Security office to make an appointment to make sure you are receiving your spousal benefit if you are entitled to one.

  6. I have a question regarding whether there is a death benefit provided through the Soc. Sec. Admin. When my mother died, I was her sole beneficiary and tried to get info about this so it would assist in funding her funeral expenses. People told me there was a benefit but I could not get an answer from Soc. Sec. Office. Could you please clarify for me.

    • Hello Denise. Thank you for your question. The Lump-Sum Death benefit of $255 (a one-time payment) may be payable upon the death of a person who has worked long enough to be insured under Social Security. An application for the Lump-Sum death payment must be submitted within two years of the insured person’s death. In addition, eligible family members may be able to receive monthly Survivor benefits. For more information on this, please read How Social Security Can Help You When a Family Member Dies at: http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/EN-05-10008.pdf. Hope this helps!

  7. 2.6% HI Tax Spending Limit FY 18 HA-28-8-17 http://www.title24uscode.org/hhs18.pdf

    It has been reported that the Treasury is going to discontinue refundable premium and cost-sharing reduction subsidies (for health insurance corporations with profit margins >10%) under the Affordable Care Act beginning FY 18. Un-redressed CMS accounting error is now the only reason the United States (US) is incapable of joining Hospitals & Asylums (HA) in declaring a federal budget surplus FY 18 under Art. 2 Sec. 2 of the US Constitution.

    To balance the federal budget, 6% annual growth in Part A tax revenues must run over into 3% health benefit growth in Parts A, B & D benefits from FY 14, effective FY 18. HI tax spending should be 4% family and child benefit spending growth FY 18 under 31USC§101.

    Federal outlays for Medicare are estimated by Part A payroll tax revenues and Part B & D general revenues from the 2017 Annual Report of the Board of Trustees of the Federal Hospital Trust Fund and Supplemental Medical Insurance Trust Fund FY 14-17 after which time FY 14 becomes the baseline for sustainable 3% annual growth. Federal outlays are estimated for Medicaid from 2016 CMS Statistics with 3% benefit spending and 2.5% administrative spending growth from FY 14.

    The HI payroll tax is growing 6% annually and HI spending has stabilized at 2.1% growth. After experimentally reducing Part B & D outlays FY 17, federal outlays must go down in all three federally financed Medicare plans FY 18. Surplus FY 18 HI revenues must either run over into Medicaid price-controlled Part B & D payments or the $281.7 billion generated by the 2.9% HI tax rate must be somehow reduced to $255.9 billion, a tax rate of 2.6%, keep the 0.9% tax on the incomes of the rich – 15.0% Federal Income Contribution Act (FICA)?

    Does CMS have any undistributed offsetting receipts to report left over from the $917.1 billion federal outlays estimated to be administered FY 17 and $906.7 billion FY 18 from Oct. 1 under 31USC§1106?

  8. The one budgetary success of the ACA was in reducing national health expenditures is in reducing state Medicaid payments to 11% of federal payments. This must be sustained in hopes of reducing national health expenditure to less than 10% of GDP by 2020. Health budget efforts must be careful not to allow any hyperinflation from occurring in response to other reasonable macroeconomic budget cuts that are not thought to get through the accounting fraud to actually cause any deprivation of relief benefits.

    • A budgetary success is measured in reducing an individuals health care cost. No one gives a crap about national expenditures.

      • “No one gives a crap about national expenditures…” Um, “national ecpenditures” are our tax dollars. National expenditures pay for roads, sewers, air traffic and highway safety, dams, drinking water, national parks & forests, courts, military, imports and exports of the goods and services we need to live…there’s not enough space here to list everything. The ONLY role if governments is to take care of the day-to-day needs of the PEOPLE. That’s what national expenditures are, that’s what you and I and everyone pays taxes for…and that’s why EVERYBODY should “give a crap” about national expenditures.

  9. I’m a disabiled widow collecting disability and survivors benefits. I live in WA state, 61yrs old and need to move in a month. I have looked every way, everywhere I can think of. Unfortunately for some seniors technology is not a friendly.
    Does SSA offer any type of housing help for disabled seniors looking for affordable housing? If so please forward any information ASAP. Thank you

    • I seriously doubt that SSA can get a letter to you. The PO generally won’t deliver to addresses such as : Debra, Washington State. Further SSA is not in the housing business. I suggest you contact your local Public Assistance Office or inquire at a Senior Center. Section 8 housing my be the answer for you.

  10. Does the government have any program that values men and women equally or is it only women that get older, get sick, become poor, or lose a spouse?

  11. I am 57 yrs old and my husband is deceased will I automatically start receiving survivor’s benefits when I turn 60 yrs old.

    • Hello Debra. You are eligible to apply for survivor benefits when you reach age 60 (age 50 or over if disabled). The benefit is not automatic. You will need to initiate your application by contacting us at: toll-free number, 1-800-772-1213 or by visiting your local servicing office. For more information on widow’s benefits, check out this Frequently Asked Question. We hope this helps.

    • Great question, Lenore. The ex-spouse must be of retirement age (62 or older) or be receiving disability benefits for an individual to qualify and receive benefits on their record. If the ex-spouse does not apply for retirement benefits, but can qualify at age 62 or later, the individual can receive benefits on the ex-spouse’s record if they have been divorced for at least two years. If an individual was born before January 2, 1954 and have already reached full retirement age, they can choose to receive only the divorced spouse’s benefit and delay receiving their own retirement benefit until a later date. See our Retirement Planner: If You Are Divorced for more information. To see if this individual is eligible for a higher benefit amount, have them contact us. We hope this information helps.

    • Hi Lenore, you may be eligible to receive benefits on your ex-spouse’s record at age 62, if:
      • You were married to your ex-spouse for at least 10 years;
      • You are unmarried;
      • Your ex-spouse is entitled to Social Security retirement or disability benefits and,
      • The benefit you are entitled to receive based on your own work is less than the benefit you would receive based on your ex-spouse’s work.
      Also, if you continue to work, you will have to contact us as soon as you attain your 40 quarters of coverage (credits). Keep in mind that a pension based on work that is not covered by Social Security (for example, Federal civil service and some State or local government agencies) may cause the amount of your Social Security benefit to be reduced. Your benefits can be reduced based on one of two provisions. If you are divorced and qualify for benefits on your ex-spouse’s record, your benefits may be affected by the “Government Pension Offset“. Your own Social Security benefit can be reduced based on the “Windfall Elimination Provision“. We hope this information helps.

  12. Are you are a victim of the Gov Pension Offset (GPO) or the Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP), of which 81% ARE WOMEN, and qualify for one of the many many exceptions/exemptions? If yes, you will not be able to PLAN for your SSA retirement because SSA will NOT provide you with a preretirement determination. When will SSA provide this preretirement planning service?

    Note: AKA, please do not reply to my blogs.

  13. 54yr old Mother of twin boys age 14. Husband made bad choices and was deported. Prior to being deported he worked 25yrs with a valid green card. I have been on my own since my boys were 8. Am now starting to struggle financially. Can my kids get any benefits from his retirement fund or can I get spousal support? Thank you

    • Hello Motherof2boys. Thank you for your question. Based on the limited information you have provided, you and your children are not eligible for benefit through Social Security. Under certain circumstances, such as death, survivor benefits are payable based on earnings to eligible family members upon the death of a parent. See more information on Benefits For Children with Disabilities and Frequently Asked Questions on Survivor Benefits. We hope this helps.

  14. The UK has an excellent Security System in Place that helps disabled people throughout their entire life. The system however is not without fault as it hands out money to too many people who are nothing but fraudsters

  15. My husband left me back in April 7,2018.I am 80 yrs old not able to work I don’t draw but 767.00 a month.I cant live on this without some help. Please advise what I can do.My life ins.my electricity and food ,plus other personal items.Thanking you in advance Sirenna Crews BD 2/23/1938 1260 Tiger Branch rd.samson al.36477 phone 334 898 1450.

    • Hello Sirenna, you may be eligible to receive additional assistance from the state where you live. These services include Medicaid, free meals, housekeeping help, transportation or help with other problems. You can get information about services in your area from your state or local social services office. You can also visit the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services web page for more information.
      We hope this information helps.

  16. I would like to review my benefits as I am having a difficult time living on my benefits now. I do need to see if I qualify to receive benefits from my x-husband who I was married to for 13 years. Do you advise me to make an appt. to come in to SS office? Thanks. In advance for a reply

    • Hi, Lynne. Thanks for your question! If you were married to your former spouse for at least 10 years, and you are not eligible for a higher benefit on your own record, you may be eligible for divorced spouse benefits on his record as early as age 62. To see if you qualify for a higher benefit than what you are currently receiving, contact your local office or you may call our toll-free telephone number at 1-800-772-1213, Monday through Friday between 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. and ask a representative to assist you. We hope this helps.

  17. I lived with the father of my now grown children for 10 years. Left due to mental and physical abuse. 2 years ago he died. Never paid child support. Am I qualified for survivor benefits or are my kids qualified. Their ages are 32 and 33, I’m 55 single and disabled.?

Leave a Reply to AKA Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *