Online Services, Taxes

Get Your Social Security Benefit Statement

January 30, 2020 • By

" "Tax season is approaching, and we have made replacing your annual Benefit Statement even easier.  The Benefit Statement, also known as the SSA-1099 or the SSA-1042S, is a tax form we mail each year in January to people who receive Social Security benefits.  It shows the total amount of benefits you received from us in the previous year so you know how much Social Security income to report to the IRS on your tax return.

If you live in the United States and you need a replacement form SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S, simply go online and get an instant, printable replacement form using your personal my Social Security account.  A replacement SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S is available for the previous tax year after February 1.

If you already have a my Social Security account, you can log in to your account to view and print your SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S.  If you don’t have access to a printer, you can save the document to your computer or email it to yourself.  If you don’t have a my Social Security account, creating one is very easy to do and usually takes less than 10 minutes.

If you’re a non-citizen who lives outside of the United States and you received or repaid Social Security benefits last year, we will send you form SSA-1042S in the mail.  The forms SSA-1099 and SSA-1042S are not available for people who receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits.

With a personal my Social Security account, you can do much of your business with us online.  If you receive benefits or have Medicare, your personal my Social Security account is also the best way to:

• Request a replacement Social Security number card (in most states and the District of Columbia).
  • Get your benefit verification letter.
  • Check your benefit and payment information.
  • Change your address and phone number.
  • Change your direct deposit information.
  • Request a replacement Medicare card.
  • Report your wages if you work and receive Social Security disability insurance or SSI benefits.

Visit our website to find more about our online services.

Mike Korbey, Deputy Commissioner for Communications

Mike Korbey, Deputy Commissioner for Communications

Mike Korbey, Deputy Commissioner for Communications

Comments

1. paul f mccarthy

i need print for housing

Hi, Paul. It sounds like you need a benefit verification. If you need a benefit verification letter, you can view, print, and save your benefit verification letter by creating a personal my Social Security account online. You can also contact your local Social Security office for assitance. We hope this helps.

2. paul f mccarthy

i need print for housing to box 8489 new bedford ma 02742

3. Charles H Moss

I need benefits letter to complete a re-fi on my house.

Hi, Charles. If you need a benefit verification letter, you can view, print, and save your benefit verification letter by creating a personal my Social Security account online. We hope this helps.

4. Greta Merlo

I need a copy of my last award letter. Thank you

Hi Greta, thanks for using our blog. Check out our Frequently Asked Questions web page for details on how to get a benefit verification letter. This letter is sometimes called a budget letter, a benefits letter, a proof of income letter or a proof of award letter. You also may be able to request a benefit verification letter by using our automated telephone service at 1-800-772-1213. You can conduct the automated services 24 hours a day. At the prompt, indicate that you’re requesting a proof of income letter. We hope this helps.

5. rob Loughlin

this site sucks

6. Deadra M Mccarrell

I need my on-line account reset. Could I please get some assistance.

Hi Deadra, thanks for using our blog. Check out our Frequently Asked Questions web page for details on how to retrieve or change your username and password. We hope this helps!

7. Pete

How does one fill out a W4 form for social security tax withholding?

8. Ivrin L Sergent

I am trying to get where i do not have to pay federal taxes anymore. Our tax accountant told me to have the federal taxes stopped on my husband and my s.s. but i cant seem to figure out how to do it. if you could help me i would appreciate it.

Hi Irvin, thanks for using our blog. To stop your withholding, you’ll need a Form W-4V from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). You can download the form or call the IRS toll-free at 1-800-829-3676 and ask for Form W-4V. Sign the form and return it to your local Social Security office by mail. Use our Social Security Office Locator to get your local office mailing address. We hope this is helpful!

9. Larry D Wiggins

I’ve been trying to get a social security statement letter sent to my home address for 2020 for my property managers but there’s a problem everytime I log on…..my mailing address is 120 45th St. NE #516 Washington; DC 20019 SS# *** – ** – *** Please respond to my email address or mail the letter to the address above…..my home phone # 202-246-6561

Hi, Larry. We are sorry to hear you have had difficulty using your personal my Social Security account. For your security, we do not have access to private information in this venue. Please contact your local Social Security office for assistance. Look for the general inquiry telephone number under “Show Additional Office Information.” Just a reminder – please be cautious about posting personal information on social media. We hope this helps.

10. Violet Durocher

I need a letter of how much I receive a month to give my landlord my Name is Violet Durocher I live at 7718 Broad St #B Pennsauken NJ 08109. Birthday Day 11/13/1947.

Hi Violet, thanks for using our blog. Check out our Frequently Asked Questions web page for details on how to get a benefit verification letter. This letter is sometimes called a budget letter, a benefits letter, a proof of income letter or a proof of award letter. You also may be able to request a benefit verification letter by using our automated telephone service at 1-800-772-1213. You can conduct the automated services 24 hours a day. At the prompt, indicate that you’re requesting a proof of income letter. We hope this helps.