Get Your Social Security Benefit Statement (SSA-1099)

Tax season is approaching, and Social Security has made replacing your annual Benefit Statement even easier. The Benefit Statement is also known as the SSA-1099 or the SSA-1042S. Now you can get a copy of your 1099 anytime and anywhere you want using our online services.

A Social Security 1099 is a tax form Social Security mails each year in January to people who receive Social Security benefits. It shows the total amount of benefits you received from Social Security in the previous year so you know how much Social Security income to report to the IRS on your tax return.

If you live in the United States and you need a replacement form SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S, simply go online and request an instant, printable replacement form through your personal my Social Security account.

A replacement SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S is available for the previous tax year after February 1.

If you already have a my Social Security account, you can log in to your online account to view and print your SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S. If you don’t have access to a printer, you can save the document on your computer or laptop or even email it. If you don’t have a my Social Security account, creating one is very easy to do and usually takes less than 10 minutes.

If you receive benefits or have Medicare, your my Social Security account is also the best way to:

  • Get your benefit verification letter;
  • Check your benefit and payment information;
  • Change your address and phone number;
  • Change your direct deposit information;
  • Request a replacement Medicare card; or
  • Report your wages if you work and receive Social Security disability insurance or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits.

If you’re a noncitizen who lives outside of the United States and you received or repaid Social Security benefits last year, we will send you form SSA-1042S in the mail. The forms SSA-1099 and SSA-1042S are not available for people who receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI).

With a personal my Social Security account, you can do much of your business with us online, on your time, like get a copy of your SSA-1099 form. Visit our website to find out more.


1,212 thoughts on “Get Your Social Security Benefit Statement (SSA-1099)

  1. I have tried over and over to login to my account but to no avail. I got an account with i’m but they keep asking for more photos, verification etc.
    I need a copy of my X husbands SS Benefit Statement 1099 and a new Social Security Card for him. He is 91+ years and doesn’t know what he did with them. For me to place him in nursing home care, I need these documents. His name is Carl William Schwab. His social security number is: *** – ** – ***. Medicare Number: *** – ** – ***-A. His address is: 261 Elmhurst Drive Orchard Park, NY 14127. I, Nancy Schwab, live at the same address as I’ve taken care of Carl for decades. Please have someone call me at 716-713-7603 so I can acquire these papers for him. Since all public branches are closed, I have no other way to provide the nursing home with his documentation. I think they may accept a letter of confirmation of his annual Social Security income. Thank you

    • Hi Nancy, thanks for using our blog. Our current policy does not allow people to set up a my Social Security account for others. Check out our Frequently Asked Questions web page on how to obtain a replacement 1099. He also may be able to request a replacement SSA-1099 by using our automated telephone service at 1-800-772-1213. He can conduct the automated services 24 hours a day. At the prompt, he indicates that he’s requesting a replacement SSA-1099.

      As for the replacement Social Security card, if he cannot apply for a replacement online, he can call his local office and request that we mail an SSN printout instead of a replacement Social Security card. We are unable to process replacement Social Security card requests by phone at this time.

      Because of privacy and security concerns, you will not be able to conduct Social Security business on his behalf unless you are his representative payee. Having a power of attorney, being an authorized representative, or having a joint bank account with him does not authorize you to access information on his Social Security record. If he does not have a representative payee and he’s not capable of managing and directing his Social Security benefits, someone should consider applying to be his payee. To learn more about becoming a representative payee, you can read our publication, “A Guide for Representative Payees” or visit our Representative Payee webpage. You can also call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) to request an appointment.

      If your mother is capable of managing her benefits, she may be able to request the needed information online. See our Frequently Asked Questions web page for all of our online services.

  2. I am having difficulty establishing a new password. When I go back to the beginning to try again, the system will not accept my e-mail address. It has not changed.

    My mailing address has changed. Can I change that online?

  3. i need 2 copies of 1099 for morate purposes if u can send them to me and 2 od soc sec showing award letter

  4. H-E-L-P: I am unable to receive my SSA 1099 tax statement for tax year 2019. No response from SSA, but thrown out of the system for unknown reasons – it is like I no longer exist on paper or in SSA! I have made multiple attempts to login, create a new account with no luck or response from a “LIVE” person. ONLINE help does not work! ALL I really want was income for 2019, taxes taken out (Fed & State of GA, etc.). Next step will be to contact I.R.S. to see if they can help.

  5. I am trying to prepare a 2019 Income tax return for a taxpayer who died in January 2020.

    We cannot find his SSA-1099.

    How does the Administrator receive a copy be email?
    I represent the Administrator.
    Attorney at Law

Leave a Reply - (comment policy)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *