Get Your Social Security Benefit Statement (SSA-1099)

February 22, 2019 • By

Last Updated: February 22, 2019

Tax season is approaching, and Social Security has made replacing your annual Benefit Statement even easier. The Benefit Statement is also known as the SSA-1099 or the SSA-1042S. Now you can get a copy of your 1099 anytime and anywhere you want using our online services.

A Social Security 1099 is a tax form Social Security mails each year in January to people who receive Social Security benefits. It shows the total amount of benefits you received from Social Security in the previous year so you know how much Social Security income to report to the IRS on your tax return.

If you live in the United States and you need a replacement form SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S, simply go online and request an instant, printable replacement form through your personal my Social Security account.

A replacement SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S is available for the previous tax year after February 1.

If you already have a my Social Security account, you can log in to your online account to view and print your SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S. If you don’t have access to a printer, you can save the document on your computer or laptop or even email it. If you don’t have a my Social Security account, creating one is very easy to do and usually takes less than 10 minutes.

If you receive benefits or have Medicare, your my Social Security account is also the best way to:

  • Get your benefit verification letter;
  • Check your benefit and payment information;
  • Change your address and phone number;
  • Change your direct deposit information;
  • Request a replacement Medicare card; or
  • Report your wages if you work and receive Social Security disability insurance or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits.

If you’re a noncitizen who lives outside of the United States and you received or repaid Social Security benefits last year, we will send you form SSA-1042S in the mail. The forms SSA-1099 and SSA-1042S are not available for people who receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI).

With a personal my Social Security account, you can do much of your business with us online, on your time, like get a copy of your SSA-1099 form. Visit our website to find out more.

See Comments

About the Author

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications


  1. Tom M.

    I requested a 1099 and was given the date it should have arrived. That date has since come and gone with no 1099. It appears to be another empty promise made by an anonymous computer generated response. It is very much akin to the VA’s promise of a return phone call if you leave your name and number. They just don’t tell you what century.

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Tom. We are sorry to hear about your experience. You can request a replacement SSA-1099/1042S for Tax Year 2018 by visiting your personal my Social Security account. You can also contact or visit your local office. They can assist with a replacement 1099. We hope this helps.

  2. Kathleen S.

    I would like to know how to get a W2 for my social security for 2018. I should have received it by the end of January.

  3. Betty

    Does the SSA1099 for 2018 year not show Part D premiums deducted from medicare in 2018? Did not see that amount on 2018 statement. It was on the 2017 statement.

  4. Mario R.

    por favor enviarme la forma 1099 para los taxes a mi direccion es. calle 7C #465, manati atlantico colombia, code # 57.


    I am a retired service member and because my retirement was more than 38,000 they taxed my social security, this is the first time this has happened and I was really shocked, it reduced my return by 1200 dollars. The military takes the tax out automatically each month plus a extra 100 I authorized each month, I just never knew about the 38,000 thing especially since I only draw 1050 a month social security which I consider I’m still below the poverty line in any state in the USA now. I actually thought my SS was protected unless I was a millionaire in which case it wouldn’t bother me. Maybe you can help explain this. Thank You.

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Donovan. Some people have to pay federal income taxes on their Social Security benefits. This usually happens if you have other substantial income (such as wages, self-employment, interest, dividends and other taxable income that must be reported on your tax return) in addition to your benefits. See our Benefits Planner: Income Taxes and Your Social Security Benefits for more information. Thanks!

  6. Gene L.

    I don’t have the IRS copies, my husband Teddy Alton Messick died 10/13/2017, I have my Social Security and I am residing here in Japan, non citizen too. My DOB 01/15/1958

  7. Angelica

    I was wondering what happen to my back I was supposed to receive every 6month I didn’t receive November 2018 payment

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Angelica. For your security, we do not have access to private information in this venue. We ask that members in our Blog community to work with their local Social Security office with specific questions about their case. You can also call our toll free number is 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778). Representatives are available Monday through Friday between 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. Generally, you’ll have a shorter wait time if you call later in the week. We hope this helps.

  8. William C.

    Greatly appreciate your updates. Have received SSA benefits for seven plus years however I cannot establish and On-Line Acct as my information is said “Unknown to SSA.” Have sent many requests for assistance to SSA in Baltimore with no replies. US Embassy Manila has tried to help but they cannot establish my SSA On-Line.
    William Carl Foster, MSgt, USAF, Retired
    , DOB: 19 Oct 1949. Please help.

    Thank you.

    • Ann C.

      Hi, William. Unfortunately, but for your security, we do not have access to private information in this venue. We have referred your concern to our Operations Staff for follow up and to take corrective action as necessary. We appreciate your comment and thank you for bringing this to our attention. If you wish to submit feedback related to your experience, you can visit our Contact Social Security page. Once there, you can select the “Email Us” link. This will take you to the “Email a Question to our Support Team” form, where you can complete and submit a compliment, complaint, or suggestion. Just a reminder – please be cautious about posting personal information on social media. We hope this is resolved soon.

  9. Maria S.

    Hello, my name is Maria Santana, I am retired with full retirement age at 66 years old, and I continue working full time, I am already 70 years old and I would like you to inform me if every year after this age (70 years) I will continue receiving the increase annual to my retirement for the time worked.

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Maria. Each year we review the records for all Social Security recipients who work and will refigure your benefit if applicable. Check out how work affects Social Security payments here. Thanks!

  10. Lourdes B.

    I have not received my 1099. I need a copy to file income tax. Please email to me. Thank you

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Lourdes. For your security, we do not have access to private information in this venue. You can request a replacement SSA-1099/1042S for Tax Year 2018 by visiting your personal my Social Security account. You can also contact or visit your local office. They can assist with a replacement 1099. Thanks.

Comments are closed.