Get Your Social Security Benefit Statement (SSA-1099)

Now that it’s tax season, you might be gathering all of your forms and documentation from the previous year. Sometimes getting all that material together — receipts for donations, business expenses, and travel — can be overwhelming. And losing one vital piece can take up time that you might not be able to spare.

The Social Security 1099 (SSA-1099) or Benefit Statement is a tax form Social Security mails each year in January. It shows the total amount of benefits you received from Social Security in the previous year, so you know how much Social Security income to report to the IRS on your tax return. Luckily, Social Security has you covered. If you live in the United States and you need a copy of your SSA-1099 or 1042S tax form, simply go online and get an instant, printable copy of your form with a my Social Security account.

A Social Security1042S (SSA-1042S) is for a noncitizen who lives outside the United States and received or repaid Social Security benefits last year.

If you have a question, want help finding the information you need, or just can’t figure out how to do something online, another way to get in touch with us is by calling our toll-free number at 1-800-772-1213. We provide an automated service option to handle some business, but you can also speak to a Social Security representative between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. local time, Monday through Friday. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, call our toll-free TTY number, 1-800-325-0778, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. local time, Monday through Friday.

Tax season can be a stressful time for some, but we’ve tried to make it easier for you. Remember to share this information with friends and family. If you need a copy of your SSA-1099 or 1042S, go online and get a replacement form with a my Social Security account.


58 thoughts on “Get Your Social Security Benefit Statement (SSA-1099)

  1. When US Citizens residing abroad will be able to create My Social Security account and receive the same help as US ciitizen in the US get? This article does no mentioned US ctitizens abroad.

  2. Thank you for the information. I just need to reset my password because I have My Social Account. I have been waiting in line for more than 45 minutes. Any advice please?

  3. Your informative articles and the access
    to one¨s benefits are outstanding and it
    reflects the integrity of the government
    di dispense knowlegment to its citizens.

  4. I went to My Social Security 2 times to download my SSA 1099, but was unable to find it. Luckily for me, I found my 2018 SSA 1099 that was sent via snail mail. However, I was able to printed my Benefits Verification Letter. How can I download and print my SSA 1099?

  5. I need a printout showing my earnings since the first of the year.Also I will need to show how much my Part B will be reduced my check. My part b will start )
    04/01/2019. My wife will also need hers. Barbara E Brakebill

  6. Hello. Besides the SS online account and the benefit statement being mailed, is there another way to receive this tax form, such as going to the SS office? Thanks!

    • SSA field offices are jammed with people, especially this time of year. Stick with the online access…and get your friends/neighbors/relatives signed up too!!

  7. Good morning, I am Mrs. Maria Lolita Litt, I live in NZ for 20 years now together w/my two son’s who is Adult now, 33 & 30 yrs. old both still student and single. We are struggling renting $800.00NZD /m and we never received anything from SSec. my deceased Husbands SSno. was *** – ** – *** Howard Litt and his VA Card No. C-19-461-898 //his own son No. SSno. *** – ** – *** Herman Robert Dulay Litt and mine Mrs. Maria Lolita Dulay Litt 595 -09-4290 please let me know if someone is using our name in getting all the benefits /while we are the “ORIGINAL” surviving family. My ex-husband said before when we are still together alive, he gave me all documents just in case he died we can claim to buy a house thru this documents “Certificate of Eligibility for Housing Loan” his US ARMY Discharge/ DD214 / Birth Cert./ Marriage contract / my Biographic Information for US Passport and I do not know who took it and change my photo. Just in case we need your help to investigate who are still using my identity, even ages ago we can track down who it was. Please?? If they are telling we are “CRAZY” it’s because of so many “FRAUD” benefits that they are enjoying. Please cooperate w/us and odn’t get bankruft for a wrong beneficiary. Thank you and hoping that you will help us. I can be contacted at NZ gov. office called “Work & INcome NZ/ Papakura Br. Office Tel. 0800 -552-002 c/o Jason Dwen(Manager)


  9. Trying to make a Social Security Administration Office appointment for April 19, 2019 at 7880 Mission Grove Parkway South in Riverside, Ca. 92508?

  10. My wife and I need statements concerning out taxes-haven’t received them! My name is George L Smith, wife is Jackie J Smith, address is 9184 Wadsworth Ct., Fishers, In.46037

  11. Mr Takaphan jaruhungsin llc public affairs federal contract,and membership of federal retirement benefit center Denver Colorado state issued on 2018 and my status us citizenship overseas in Thailand teleworking! Or der send my form statement ssa_1099 to my 201,9village,banphan,phonnakaie district,sakonnakon,Thailand,47230, tell +660881937865, my id R_1517!

  12. Mr Takaphan jaruhungsin llc federal contract membership of federal retirement ,order Please send form application ssn card for my wife mrs nichanan jaruhungsin send forme applicant to my address in Thailand 201,9village,banphan,phonnakaie district,sakonnakon,Thailand, 47230,tell +66 0881937865

  13. It makes it hard for me because I don’t have a computer and can’t get out to print it out.I only have my cell phone.

  14. My name is Naldeen Hector
    I am inquire how I can get my SSA 1099 form
    I have recently move from New York
    1107 Lebanon street Bx , NY 10460
    To 12 Birchtree Way’ Palm Coast, FL 32137
    I am unable to access my account

  15. The APO system is shutting down 1 Oct, 2019 for retired military. Do not have a US address, so you can’t open up a My Social Security account. How will I get my end of year statements. Will only have a Thai address and mail delivery often very poor.

    Thank you.

    PS. Can we use a sons address in US to open a My Social Security account?
    Thank you.

  16. We were unable to retrieve my social security account and were told we would received the password by mail within l7 to 10 days. It has been over 2 weeks and I have not yet received this. It is getting closer and closer to tax time and I am getting really worried it will not come in time. Please help!

    • Hi Janet, thank you for your question. You can get a benefit verification letter online instantly by using your personal my Social Security account. This letter is sometimes called a budget letter, a benefits letter, a proof of income letter or a proof of award letter. To set up your account, visit the my Social Security web page and select, “Sign In or Create an Account.” You will need to provide some personal information to verify your identity, choose a username and password and follow the rest of the steps to finish creating your account. Once you create your account, scroll down to the Benefits and Payments section and choose “get benefit verification letter” where you can instantly view, print, or save your official letter. If you are unable to create an account or encounter a problem, you may call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. At the voice prompt, say “helpdesk” or you can contact your local Social Security office.

  17. Thank you for providing this valuable service. I was able to print my statement for taxes and that was huge convenience.

    I like the other links that offer valuable information. I need to look further for dental insurance; I didn’t find it, but I am sure if I take my time, I will find it.

    Thank you again.

  18. My name is Brigitte Arora and an American Citizen living in India. Am being discriminated against by not being allowed to get an online account. Am being denied my rights i have earned as a social security recipient. I worked hard to earn my social security pension which i have been receiving past 12 years. It is automatically sent to my bank in India but comes already converted in Rupees and have no idea of my actual pension amount. Am unable to get any assistance when i need it from Social Security. At this point have no confirmation of the exact amount I receive each month.My Congressman has been trying to help but he can only do so much.
    Not sure if I will still receive my tax forms through the mail or not since rules have changed. Please respond by emailing me..

    • Hi Brigitte. At this time you must have a U. S. mailing address to create or access your online account. The “my Social Security” authentication system requires address verification as one of the essential criteria for issuing an account. People with APO/FPO/DPO addresses can create an account overseas, but our system does not support registration and account creation for users with a foreign address yet.

      We recommend that individuals living outside the United States contact the nearest Federal Benefit Unit or U.S. embassy in the area for any assistance related to Social Security programs and benefits. Also, our Office of International Operations home page provides more information to assist our customers living abroad.

  19. My wife died in 2018 and I have not received an SSA-1099 for her. I’ve tried to log into her SSA Account but was unable to do so. How may I obtain a replacement SSA-1099 for her.

    • We’re sorry to hear about your loss, Royce. The benefit statement is mailed to the last address in our records and is intended for the spouse or executor of the deceased. If you do not have access to the mail at that address, the executor will need to go into the local field office with proof of death and proof of executorship. An SSA-1099 can also be given to someone receiving benefits on the deceased beneficiary’s record such as a spouse, parent, or child of the deceased. If you need more information, call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., and ask a representative for assistance.

  20. Everytime I try to log back on it says I cannot…why? I did create an account. I want to see my status update.
    Thanks for your help.

  21. It was very easy to set up my account & the questions were good enough to make me feel secure. I forgot to log out on the page where I printed my statement, I just backed out. I hope that logs me out. Thanks.

    • Hi, Cory. For your security, we do not have access to private information in this venue. If your disability application was recently denied, you must make a request for an appeal within 60 days from the date the notice of denial is received. We recommend that you don’t delay submitting an appeal, even if you don’t have all of the information you need. In some cases, the disability examiner may decide to arrange for a consultative examination in order to obtain the additional information needed. You can complete and submit the required Appeal Request and Appeal Disability Report online. Check out our publication, The Appeals Process, for more information. We hope this information helps.

  22. I do not have a printer, will I be able to email my sister my 1099 for 2018 to print out, as I believe I lost it & need to file taxes per my deceased husband.

    *Can I forward to someone with a printer ( or no because it’s private.
    *If so can I request for it to be mailed to me?

    Thank you so very much!!
    Mary Halloran. S.S # *** – ** – ***
    (staying with my brother temporarily as I had another breakdow)
    His address: Dennis J O’Conell III c/o Mary Halloran
    108 W. Passage Rd
    Salem, Nh 03079

    Thank you so very much for helping all of us who are going through such difficult times, you are all angels

    • Hi, Mary. We are sorry to hear about your loss. The SSA-1099 is mailed to the last address in our records and is intended for the spouse or executor of the deceased. If you did not receive the benefit statement, the executor will need to go into the local Social Security office with proof of death and proof of executorship. An SSA-1099 can also be given to someone receiving benefits on the deceased beneficiary’s record such as a spouse, parent, or child of the deceased. If you need more information, call our toll-free number at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) and ask a representative for assistance. Just a reminder – please be cautious about posting personal information on social media. We hope this helps.

  23. Why is it so difficult to get any information from this site. Also it tells my that my name or my address is or my SS number is wrong. How can that be? I’ve had the same name and SS number for 78 years.

  24. I have tried every way possible to access my account from my PC but I am unable to do so from Germany. Is it possible for you to annotate on my file that my statement should be mailed? If there is another solution I will be happy to try it.
    Thanks in advance for your assistance.

  25. Hello, is there a way to estimate how much more a month i will get by waiting till say January of 2020 to start SS? I would like to “gross” $2,500 per month. Could you tell me how long after Oct of 2019 it will take to get the $2,500? Thank you, Edward Stoeckel 11254 E Ida Pl. Englewood,Co 80111-4102. 303 770 8227

Leave a Reply - (comment policy)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *