Get Your Social Security Benefit Statement (SSA-1099)

Now that it’s tax season, you might be gathering all of your forms and documentation from the previous year. Sometimes getting all that material together — receipts for donations, business expenses, and travel — can be overwhelming. And losing one vital piece can take up time that you might not be able to spare.

The Social Security 1099 (SSA-1099) or Benefit Statement is a tax form Social Security mails each year in January. It shows the total amount of benefits you received from Social Security in the previous year, so you know how much Social Security income to report to the IRS on your tax return. Luckily, Social Security has you covered. If you live in the United States and you need a copy of your SSA-1099 or 1042S tax form, simply go online and get an instant, printable copy of your form with a my Social Security account.

A Social Security1042S (SSA-1042S) is for a noncitizen who lives outside the United States and received or repaid Social Security benefits last year.

If you have a question, want help finding the information you need, or just can’t figure out how to do something online, another way to get in touch with us is by calling our toll-free number at 1-800-772-1213. We provide an automated service option to handle some business, but you can also speak to a Social Security representative between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. local time, Monday through Friday. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, call our toll-free TTY number, 1-800-325-0778, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. local time, Monday through Friday.

Tax season can be a stressful time for some, but we’ve tried to make it easier for you. Remember to share this information with friends and family. If you need a copy of your SSA-1099 or 1042S, go online and get a replacement form with a my Social Security account.


318 thoughts on “Get Your Social Security Benefit Statement (SSA-1099)

  1. So the taxable amount on the 1099 is the amount received, not the amound due you since it is psid 1 month in arrears??? I.e. started effective February with 1st payment received in March. So the 1099 will only show 10 months of payments, not 11? Thanks

    • Hi Fred. In January, we send you a Form 1099 (Social Security Benefit Statement), showing the amount of benefits you received in the prior calendar year. A worksheet (IRS Notice 703) is included for determining whether any portion of your Social Security benefits received is subject to income tax. We hope this helps!

      • So if I started effective February 1 but my first payment was received in March (1 month in arrears) will my SSA 1099 show 10 months or 11 months?

  2. I can not in to my account. It says wrong information. It is the same as when I set it up. Try to create a new account and it says there is already one. When I sign into my account it says no such account. I need my 1099 emailed to me not postal service. I am need of it today.
    Please help me.
    Thank You

    • Hi William, thanks for using our blog. Please call us for assistance with your my Social Security account. You can call us at 1-800-772-1213 for assistance or you can contact your local Social Security office. Please look for the general inquiry telephone number at the Social Security Office Locator. The number may appear under Show Additional Office Information. Please be aware that our call wait times are longer than normal. We hope this information helps.

Leave a Reply to Vonda VanTil, Public Affairs Specialist Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *