General, Guest Bloggers

Get All Your Federal Benefit Payments in One Account Using Direct Payment

September 3, 2020 • By

Direct deposit is the safest and most convenient way to receive your benefit payment. In 2013, the Department of the Treasury issued a mandate to move away from checks as a method to deliver federal benefit payments. Since then, almost 99 percent of our Social Security beneficiaries have their payments deposited directly into their bank accounts. We need to increase this number to 100 percent.

Some beneficiaries have not enrolled.  Others receive more than one federal payment, but don’t get all their benefits via direct deposit. In these times, with the COVID-19 pandemic, it is more important than ever to know that your payments are there when you expect them. If you receive more than one federal benefit, but don’t have all your payments directly deposited, you may want to consider enrolling. Here are some reasons why:

  • It is safer to use and less costly.
  • Your benefit payment will be on time, every time, and ready to use.
  • You’ll be free of the hassles or delays with paper checks.
  • You won’t need to leave the comfort of your home to cash a check again.
  • It’s easy to enroll, change, or update your direct deposit information.

You can sign up for direct deposit with Social Security from your preferred location using your personal my Social Security account. If you don’t have a personal account, you can create one today. Once you create your account, you can add your bank information to start your direct deposit. You can make changes to your information any time through your personal account.

Another way to start or change your direct deposit is by calling us toll free at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778).

We want to put you in control of your benefits while providing the best experience and service, no matter where, when, or how you decide to do business with us.

Tags: ,

See Comments

About the Author


Please review our Comment Policy before leaving a comment.

  1. Susan Blake

    My Social Security check is automatically deposited monthly. I would like my Covid checks to be direct deposited too.

    Also, when will I receive my $600 Covid check?

    • Vonda

      Hi Susan, thanks for using our blog. The Internal Revenue Service (IRS), not Social Security, issues the Economic Income Payments. Social Security cannot answer EIP questions about your specific situation. Check out our Social Security and Coronavirus web page for more details. We hope this helps.


      This is Nanci Herrman there is a 3party appointed to me i have never ask nor am i
      medically incompasatated i am capable of my own bank and financial affair who ever did this i did not sign or authorize anyone on my behave to take my benefits. i have not recieved a dine and has been going to my ex-husband he has committed fraud

      • Sue

        Hi, Nanci, and thanks for using our blog. Based on your comments, it appears that you may have a representative payee. We generally only appoint payees for minor children or for adults who are unable to manage their benefits due to a disabling condition, physical or mental or both. To become a representative payee, an applicant – preferably a family member – must apply. Before approving a payee, we would have sent you a notice and given you instructions on what to do if you disagreed with the selection. To learn more about our Representative Payee program, please review our webpage.

        If you believe you have a payee who misused your benefits, tell Social Security right away. We will investigate all allegations of misuse, gather facts and evidence, and make a decision on whether misuse has occurred. To report misuse, call your local office. Please look for the general inquiry telephone number at the Social Security Office Locator. The number may appear under Show Additional Office Information. Please be aware that our call wait times are greater than normal. We hope this information helps.

  2. Alene Roberts

    I currently receive my ss check via direct deposit, however, I closed my checking account
    and opened another under a different number.
    How can I change this information?

    • Vonda

      Hi Alene, thanks for using our blog. Check out our Frequently Asked Questions web page for details on how to sign up or change direct deposit. We hope this helps!

  3. Ray White

    Where can I obtain the forms to change direct deposit to a foreign bank?

    • Vonda

      Hi Ray, thanks for using our blog to ask your question. To start the International Direct Deposit (IDD) enrollment process, select and print the appropriate SSA-1199 form. (It’s based on the country.) Fill out sections 1 and 2. Have your financial institution fill out section 3. Mail the completed form to the appropriate Federal Benefits Unit indicated on the form. We hope this helps.

  4. Interview Cracker

    This one is the most useful blog on Federal Benefit Payments. Thanks for sharing this.

    Interview Cracker

  5. Felicia Michele McNeil

    I did not authorize Rep payee. I am verifiable. Rep payee is crime. Recipient Felicia Michele McNeil.


Leave a Comment

Please review our Comment Policy before leaving a comment. For your safety, please do not post Personally Identifiable Information (such as your Social Security Number, address, phone number, email address, bank account number, or birthdate) on our blog.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *