General, Medicare, Social Security Number and Card

Get a Replacement Medicare Card on my Social Security

June 2, 2015 • By

Reading Time: 2 Minutes

Last Updated: August 19, 2021

A woman holds up a Medicare cardWe have more great Social Security news to share! If you lost, damaged, or need to replace your Medicare card, you can now get a replacement Medicare card using your personal my Social Security account. This is the newest feature to my Social Security as we continue to improve its functionality and convenience for you.

Your Medicare card is the most important piece of identification you have as a Medicare beneficiary — it’s proof that you have Medicare health insurance. Medical professionals and insurance companies need this proof to provide you with accurate care and compensation. If your card is lost or damaged, and you are currently entitled to Medicare, you can easily order a replacement using your personal my Social Security account.

Simply access your personal my Social Security account and select the “Replacement Documents” tab. Then select “Mail my replacement Medicare card.”

After you request a card, it will arrive in the mail in about 30 days.

More than 18 million people use my Social Security because it’s the easiest way to access their own personal Social Security information they need to plan for retirement.

Your account is a hub for doing business with us, including:

  • Keeping track of your earnings and verifying them every year.
  • Getting an estimate of your future benefits if you’re still working.
  • Getting a letter with proof of your benefits if you currently receive them.
  • Managing your benefits:
    • Changing your address.
    • Starting or changing your direct deposit.
    • Getting a replacement SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S for tax season.

We continue to add new services to my Social Security to meet your needs. We collect customer feedback so we can add features that will make your business with Social Security faster and easier. Adding the Medicare card replacement service is the latest in our efforts to make your experience with us as positive as possible.

Opening a personal my Social Security account takes only a few minutes, and it’s safe and easy. After your account is open, you can request a replacement Medicare card immediately — there’s no need to call or visit a Social Security office.

Tags: , , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Nancy Berryhill, Deputy Commissioner, Operations

Deputy Commissioner, Operations


  1. Kirk B.

    I tried to log into my social security account, and I got a message stating that my electronic information has been blocked and for me to contact the SSA. Why is this? I signed on last week just fine. Have I done something wrong while trying to sign in? Has my info been comprimized during the last security breech? Any info would be greatfully appreciated.

    • James L.

      Kirk, we are sorry that you are having trouble accessing your my Social Security account. For assistance, please call 1-800-772-1213. After you hear “Briefly tell me why you are calling,” please say “Help Desk” for help with a my Social Security account. We hope this helps!

      • Linda

        Superbly illnniuatimg data here, thanks!

  2. Jacqueline M.

    They issued my Medicare card with my middle initial, right next to the last letter in my first name. Can this be corrected? Is this due to me having a long first name?

    • Lorenzo D.

      Thank you for your question. The name we use on Medicare cards is the name you provided us when applying for a Social Security number card. However, if there is any incorrect information on your card, or you have a question regarding your card information, please contact your local Social Security office or call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday, from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.

  3. Emdadul H.

    Honble Director You Sent me More then two time 8digit Social Security Nunber but create acount it is need 9Digit number.kindly sold me about this.Best regards Emdadul Haque

  4. paulbclark

    My wife is receiving benefits under my SS#. She has never received a MEDICARE card.
    I live in Argentina.
    Paul Clark

    • John W.

      Hello Paul! Thanks for your comment. Medicare generally does not cover health care while you are outside the United States. Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, and the Northern Mariana Islands are considered part of the United States. To learn more about Medicare coverage outside of the United States, please contact your local Embassy or Consulate to find out what your options are. You can find their contact information, including an email address, on our Office of International Operations page. Hope this helps!

  5. What??

    Once you turn 65, with the new Obama care, your Medicare card is no longer used. You have to have a “MEDICARE ADVANTAGE PLAN” ~~ then it is all handled by that plan administrator. I have been told “do not use your medicare card”???

    • HunterSThompson

      Ummmm … no. Sounds like you have a third party insurer trying to bully you in to accepting their plan. Supplements are great, but only get them if you need them, and call Medicare to get an idea of reputable plans in your area that will fit your needs.
      PS: THE AFFORDABLE CARE ACT ( Obamacare is not a thing ), has to do with work provided insurance, not Medicare.

    • John W.

      Medicare Advantage Plans are offered by private companies approved by Medicare. To get clarification on which card to use and to get information about Medicare and the Affordable Care Act, please call 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227) (TTY 1-877-486-2048). We hope this helps!

  6. Zaida G.


  7. ronald b.

    tried to log in would not let me create a new password and it is OK then tried to log in again and it said I had an account. So I’ ll have to call seem we need better technology

  8. Yvonne S.

    For parents of adult disabled children, how do I sign up to get access for my disabled adult children who are not able to it for themselves. I am their rep payee. I was told Parents are not allowed to use the websites, we still have to come in for all business regarding our disabled adult children… Has this changed?

    • James L.

      Sorry Yvonne! You cannot create or use an account on behalf of another person, even if you are the representative payee. You can only create a my Social Security account using your own personal information and for your own exclusive use. While sometimes you may have to come into the local office to take care of business for your children and manage their benefits, most issues can be taken care of by calling us toll-free at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778). Our representatives are available between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., Monday through Friday. You will generally have a shorter wait time if you call later in the week. We hope this helps.

  9. S T.

    It is beyond time for Social Security to use a number other than our Social Security numbers for Medicare. Just as we learn more almost every day about the importance of preventing identity theft, everyone with Medicare walks around with their Social Security numbers on view.

    • Ian N.

      I would like to remove my social security number from both my own and my wife’s cards. Would that be possible? Her card carries my SS number with a “B” suffix while mine has an “A” suffix. I think this is a personal security issue that should be addressed.

      • Steve L.

        You can clearly see there has been no response from the SSA regarding your query. Of course you can’t remove it from your card — that is what the SSA uses as your identification number, abeit a clear breach of personal security.

        Essentially by emplacing your SSAN on an ID card that is presented to all medical providers/facilities, the SSA is facilitating the potential compromise of one’s SSAN. It is important to note that even though the military and federal service — decades ago — discontinued the use of SSANs on all individual correspondence/ documents, official and unofficial — due to critical/sensitive nature of this personal numerical identifier, the SSA still continues to use one’s SSA number on the ID card to this day. With the preponderance of identity theft and the absolute critical need to safeguard ones SSA number against such potential fraudulent use, for the SSA to continue to post these numbers as an identifier to all medical facilities for which the SSA holder may apply, is absolutely outdated, irresponsible, and egregious to say the least. The good news, however, is that through continued lobbying it appears the SSA will finally eliminate this practice of using SSANs as a personal identifier on an ID card. However, it is expected to be years down the road before being effected, and thus countless more potential/actual compromised personal information may/will result in the interim.

      • Lorenzo D.

        Unfortunately, we cannot remove Social Security numbers from Medicare cards at this time. However, we are in the process of making new Medicare cards that will no longer display a cardholder’s Social Security Number. Click here for further information.

  10. thomas f.

    want to see whats up

Comments are closed.