General Questions, Medicare

Get a Replacement Medicare Card on my Social Security

June 2, 2015 • By

A woman holds up a Medicare cardWe have more great Social Security news to share! If you lost, damaged, or need to replace your Medicare card, you can now get a replacement Medicare card using your online my Social Security account. This is the newest feature to my Social Security as we continue to improve its functionality and convenience for you.

Your Medicare card is the most important piece of identification you have as a Medicare beneficiary — it’s proof that you have Medicare health insurance. Medical professionals and insurance companies need this proof to provide you with accurate care and compensation. If your card is lost or damaged, and you are currently entitled to Medicare, you can easily order a replacement using your online my Social Security account.

Simply access your online my Social Security account and select the “Replacement Documents” tab. Then select “Mail my replacement Medicare card.”

After you request a card, it will arrive in the mail in about 30 days.

More than 18 million people use my Social Security because it’s the easiest way to access their own personal Social Security information they need to plan for retirement.

Your account is a hub for doing business with us, including:

• Keeping track of your earnings and verifying them every year;
  • Getting an estimate of your future benefits if you’re still working;
  • Getting a letter with proof of your benefits if you currently receive them; and
  • Managing your benefits:
    • Changing your address;
    • Starting or changing your direct deposit; and
    • Getting a replacement SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S for tax season.

We continue to add new services to my Social Security to meet your needs. We collect customer feedback so we can add features that will make your business with Social Security faster and easier. Adding the Medicare card replacement service is the latest in our efforts to make your experience with us as positive as possible.

Opening a my Social Security account takes only a few minutes, and it’s safe and easy. After your account is open, you can request a replacement Medicare card immediately — there’s no need to call or visit a Social Security office.

Tags: , ,

Nancy Berryhill, Deputy Commissioner, Operations

Deputy Commissioner, Operations

Comments

1. Randy Durden

I cant access my account. I cant remember my username or my email that was initially used to setup my account. Can you please help?

2. Phillip Satterwhite

I need a new card…….

• Ann Clifton, Public Affairs Specialist

Hi, Phillip. Good news! If you need a replacement Medicare card or immediate proof that you have Medicare, you can take care of both online by setting up a personal my Social Security account. Hope this helps!

3. Doree Graczyk

I have a friend who does not own a computer nor drive a car. She needs a new social sercuity card. I pulled down the application for her and she filled it out. Now she wants to know where to mail the application along with her current passport. She was born in the US. Where can she mail her application along with her passport so she may receive her SS card in the mail. I can not find address on line. We live in Las Vegas, Nevada. I did go on line at the email address on the form and it will not open up. Please advise.

Hi, Doree. First, realize that your friend may not need a replacement card. She will rarely need to show it. Knowing the Social Security number is what is important. To learn more on the process and what documents she will need to get a card please visit our Social Security Number and Card page. Keep in mind all submitted documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency and must (unless otherwise indicated) have been issued within the last two years. We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents. She can bring or mail her application to her local Social Security office. Once you’ve submitted all the needed documents, it can take up to 10 business days from the date we received the application to mail a replacement card. We hope this helps.

4. julie A Fegley

how do I get a replacement medicare on my social security. I lost my card.

5. Yvonne Campbell

I am requesting a replacement Social Security Card for
    My lost card…Card # *** – ** – ***
    Where can I go to get a replacement?
    Yvonne Campbell

6. Steven Padilla

I have been waiting for a replacement card and I have yet to receive it cani tell me Y? stevenpadilla13595@gmail.com

• Luis A., Public Affairs Specialist

Hi Steven. Unfortunately, but for your safety, we do not have access to your case on this forum. We suggest you contact your local Social Security office and speak one of our representative. We hope this helps.

7. Rachel

Can i get copy from internet of my medicare card?

• Luis A., Public Affairs Specialist

Hi Rachel. Good news! You can now get a replacement Medicare card using your personal my Social Security account. For more information, please check out our Frequently Asked Questions. We hope this helps.

8. Steven Leon Parrish

in feb my wife who had a pending disability case passed away, in July we went to hearing, and the judge awarded the backpay for the case! I was sent a letter to send copies of marriage license and birth certificate and bank info which I did, and even got them returned to me in the mail! The BNC# on letter I received was 19M1854C84508-U, I spoke with a rep awhile back who told me they had what they needed, just getting everything finalized! My wife was Terra J Parrish, social *** – ** – ***, was just curious how much longer does it usually take just to get the back pay benefits from an awarded case when their is no future benefits because I still have yet to hear anything back, or had anything deposited from Social security as of yet! Thank you for your time!

Hi, Stephen. We are sorry to hear about your loss and your experience. For your security, we do not have access to private information in this venue. We ask that members in our Blog community work with our offices with specific questions. You can call us at 1-800-772-1213, Monday through Friday, between 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m., for assistance. Generally, you will have a shorter wait if you call later in the day. You can also contact your local Social Security office. You can ask to speak to a manager on your next visit or call. We hope this is resolved soon.

9. Robert Ramsey

It’s not as easy to navigate, get a replacement Medicare card as you suggest.

10. Alphonse Giordano

I submitted my Medicare application on October 24th 2019. My email address is giordanorealty@aol.com. My re-entry # is 88821775. I know I am cutting it short, but is it possible to obtain a temporary Medicare card since I turn 65 on November 23, 2019. My name is ***** residing at *****. My last four digits of my social security number is ***. I have copies of my application which I’m not sure if this is suitable for doctor visits. Please advise. Thank you.

• Luis A., Public Affairs Specialist

Hi Alphonse. For your security, we do not have access to your personal information in this forum. Please call our toll free number, 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday, between 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. You may also contact your local Social Security office. We hope this helps.