36 thoughts on “Fight Procrastination by Changing Your Direct Deposit Early

  1. The National Fight Procrastination Day, on September 6th, is a funny holiday!
    We need it not just once per year, but at least once per month :))

  2. Can I change the DATE of the deposit? – leaving the bank information the same? I would like it to come earlier in the month.

  3. On March 13,2018 i will be 65 years old i apploy for benefits many time because of my health conditions is denied.but i’m wondering what next for in my elderly Ages mr jim

  4. I have ms disability wife divorce social security no believe my Paiment 433 dollar Kong’s hard to live bad balanse I olmost no walking excuzmi please?

  5. I have signed up for SS benifts becuase I turn 70 this year.

    When will I receive my first check?

    Can my wife, age 64, apply for spousal benefits on my SS?

    And switch to her own SS (higher than mine) when she turns 70?

    Thank you.

    • Hello John. Our system is set up to take applications three months in advance. Remember that benefits are paid the month after they are due. So, for instance, if you want your benefits to begin with the month of October, you will receive your first benefit payment in November.
      Please visit our Social Security Retirement Planner for more information.
      If your spouse qualifies on their own record, we will pay that amount first. If the benefit on your record is higher, they will get an additional amount on your record so that the combination of benefits equals that higher amount. See Benefits For Your Family for more on this topic. Thanks!

    • john this is how it works, the only way your wife can file for spousal only she has to be born before january 2 1954 and she can’t file until she reach full retire age which is 66 for anyone born between 1943 and 1954 if she file before she reach full retirement age she has to deem file which mean she has to file for both her own and spousal now if she wait until her full retire age which is 66 then she can restrict her application to spousal only and she will receive half of what you would have received at 66 not what you are receiving at 70

  6. My application for a MySocialSecurity.gov account failed because the system would not accept my password. Can you help me fix this?

    • While checking my bank statement, I noticed my social security payment was not posted in my online account for Sept. Last month’s payment posted on 8/8/2018. I called social security office and was put on hold for over 55min. with no response. Please look into this situation.

      • Hello Lillie, if you applied for Social Security benefits after April 30, 1997, your payment date is determined by the date of birth of the person on whose record you receive benefits. Generally, Social Security benefits are paid the third day of the month, the second, third or fourth Wednesday of the month.
        See our Frequently Asked Questions web page on payments for more information. Thanks!

  7. Why would I want to change my direct deposit from my present system? You did not enumerate in any way, so I don’t know whether there is something I need to do soon because of a change at Social Security, or if this is just an announcement that if I have done something like change banks, I need to get with it to change my direct deposit to the new bank (If that’s the kind of thing you had on your mind with this alert).

    • This is announced because the agency has a sizeable problem with clients changing information at the last minute. If done this way, it will not make the change in time for your next payment, but the one after that. If you have closed the old bank account, your payment will be delayed as a result. Never volunteer to close the old account until you know which payment is going to the new one.

      You need to apply the 60 million rule. You are one of nearly 60 million agency customers. Treasury has to issue those millions of payments every month. There is a cutoff date when they say no more changes are allowed to the next check. That date is 10-14 days before the next payment is due. This date is early because there are people who still insist on paper payments, which is both costly to the taxpayer and drains limited agency resources when a paper check fails to arrive. Less government means adapting to the modern world and not creating exceptions for oneself because it all comes out of the limited budget SSA is stuck with to help everyone, not just you.

  8. Why do I have to change my direct deposit deposit account, if I do, that will reflex on all of my bills, what is going on that I need to change my bank account, you’re asking for something that’s not easy to do. I would like to know, why this change has to take place?


    Georgia L Winston😅️

    • By choosing to get your Social Security or Supplemental Security Income benefits by direct deposit, we will electronically deposit your funds directly into a bank’s depository account (e.g. checking account, savings account, and prepaid card account).

      By choosing Direct Express®, we will electronically deposit your funds directly into a prepaid debit card account. Direct Express® has no enrollment fee or minimum balance requirement to open or use the account.

      Check out How Do I Sign Up To Receive An Electronic Payment?

  9. I that 14 months held back because was working and making over the monthly limit. My monthly social security payment was set at $ 1631.00.I had $1631.00 times 14 months or $22834.00 held back. When I quit they sent me $8500.00.Than 5 months later they said they over paid me by $2700.00 and I am paying it backs.SO I got only $5800.00 of the $ 22834.00 heldback.Where is the $17034.00 recalibration.

    • Hello Larry. Unfortunately, and because of security reasons we do not have access to personal records in this blog and cannot answer your question at this time. One of our representatives should be able to provide you with an explanation.
      Please call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 for assistance. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Generally, you will have a shorter wait time if you call later during the day or later in the week. Thanks.

    • Hi Mac. Thanks for the question. If you’re receiving Social Security benefits (retirement, survivors, or disability), you can start or update your direct deposit information by using your personal my Social Security account. If receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or unable to conduct business online, you can start or update your direct deposit by contacting the bank, credit union, or savings and loan association or by calling Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778).

      See our Frequently Asked Questions web page for more information.

Leave a Reply - (comment policy)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *