Extending a Helping Hand with Social Security

two holding hands It’s been said that the true measure of a society is found in how it treats its weakest and most helpless citizens.

We celebrate National Good Neighbor Day on September 28 but we can continue this sentiment all year round by extending a helping hand to our nation’s homeless citizens, who may also live with a disability, by telling them how Social Security can help them through the services we offer.

Social Security can pay monthly benefits to disabled homeless people who have accumulated enough credits from work to qualify. They can apply online at https://www.ssa.gov/disabilityssi/. 

Social Security can also pay benefits through the Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program, which is a needs-based program for disabled people who meet the financial guidelines, and who haven’t worked enough to qualify for Social Security disability benefits. They can apply online at www.socialsecurity.gov/disabilityssi/ssi.html.

At www.socialsecurity.gov/homelessness, there is also a link to local housing assistance and service providers who can help a homeless person file an application for Social Security benefits.

We also recognize that not all homeless people, or those at risk for homelessness, can manage their benefits on their own. That’s why we work to identify them and connect them with a representative payee. A representative payee is a person, agency, or organization that can receive and manage the funds we pay for someone who receives benefits. If you are interested in helping the homeless through the representative payee program, please visit www.socialsecurity.gov/payee.

Social Security is an active participant in the United States Interagency Council on Homelessness, whose mission is to “coordinate the federal response to homelessness and create a national partnership at every level of government…”

For more information on helping the homeless through Social Security’s programs and services, please visit www.socialsecurity.gov/homelessness.


64 thoughts on “Extending a Helping Hand with Social Security

  1. I am disabled from the military and receive $900.00 from VA monthly. I am unable to work Can I still collect SSI and my VA benefit? I am age 70

        • The issue is that the Vet is over income, not that he isn’t qualified. THe Vet may still qualify for SSDI. He needs to visit a SSA office for more info. Also at age 65, the Vet will qualify for an additional VA pension that will boost his income to a basic level. He should talk to a VA service rep for more info.

          • He should qualify for SSDI. Is this the way we treat the people that fought for this country? If so it’s BS

    • Hi Vivian. The Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is a needs based program that gives cash assistance to individuals who are age 65 or older, blind or disabled, with limited income and resources. We consider all of your income when deciding whether you can get SSI. In 2017, the monthly –SSI- maximum benefit amount for an eligible individual is $735 ($1,103 for eligible couple). If you are married, we count your spouse’s income and resources as yours. To understand how the Supplemental Security Income program works, visit “Understanding Supplemental Security Income –2017 Edition for more information. Thanks.

    • I think he said 900.00 a month so how much did you mean you only make 11800$

      That is way below poverty in every intelligence on eart 🤦🏻‍♀️

    • You should contact your former employer for that Info and ask them to sent out a copy or call 18007721213 and talk with a representative and they should be able to send you a copy

      • Set up a “my Social Security” account and you can get a report that shows the payment credits history from your current and former employers. If you want information about a private pension you should be able to get that from your employer.

        • I would like to know how long the social security administration can wait before paying me my back pay. Everyone that I’ve talked to keeps giving me a different answers. They have acknowledged that they have all information needed such as direct deposit account information and I’m my own payee but I still have not received it since my case was approved in June. It’s very hard to not have enough income to live comfortable and be having to live with relatives when the back pay could help get me my own apartment.

          • The length of time it takes to begin receiving payments after receiving a favorable decision in a hearing varies. Approved claims are randomly selected for a quality assurance review of the decision. We care about our customers and are working as fast as we can. For security reasons, we do not have access to information about your account in this venue. In your situation, we encourage you to continue working with your local office on specific information about your case or call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) and speak to one of our representatives. Representatives are available Monday through Friday between 7:00a.m. and 7:00p.m. Thanks!

    • Thank you for your question Fernando. Credits are the “building blocks” we use to find out whether you have the minimum amount of covered work to qualify for each type of Social Security benefits. You can create a My Social Security account to review your earnings record, get your Social Security Statement and get an estimate of your future benefits. In addition, we have a variety of other calculators to help you plan for the future. Which calculator you choose depends on what you want to do. We hope this information helps you!

    • Not true, those with evidence of a serious problem are approved within a few months. A problematical diagnosis or little evidence would logically take longer. The average time is about 5 months for a decision.

    • Hi Kerry. The length of time it takes to receive a decision on your disability claim, can vary depending on several factors. Primarily, the nature of your disability, how quickly we obtain medical evidence from your doctor or other medical sources, and if your claim is randomly selected for a quality assurance review of the decision. Please visit our Disability Determination Process web page for more information.

    • I am at 7 years, US judge refused tbe case with several rcw codes broken. Sent to commissioner who sent back to original judge to explain or correct all problems (oh original judge said I could paint circuit boards, the commissioner added to find an acceptable job for me) and make new ruling. Got confirmation letter July 23, 2017. And was told I would have court date within 75 days, and they try to get a date sooner for those with older cases! Another crappy Christmas for my 10 year old son, he already hates me for not being able to work.

        • Hi Jennifer. We care about our customers and are working as fast as we can. The length of time it takes to get a hearing may vary depending on our case volume and availability of the judges. Although the Administrative Law Judge attempts to schedule all hearings promptly, there may be some delay if there are many requests ahead of yours or because of travel schedules. For more information regarding hearings, please read http://www.socialsecurity.gov/appeals/odar_pubs/70-10281.pdf. We hope this helps!

  2. How do I apply for binfets for my two kids on line so ssi I got a letter from the judge and he said that my kids can get a check to so I need to know how and if my kids can apply

    • Only the aged or the disabled can get SSI. Either you or the Judge is confused. If you are talking about regular SSDI then the children could receive benefits. COntact your local SS Office or call 800-7721213.

    • Hi Jemnifer. Please call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213, Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. and one of our representatives will assist you. They can also help you schedule an appointment with your local Social Security office. An appointment is not required, but if you call ahead and schedule one, it may reduce the time you spend waiting. Generally, it’s best if you call later in the day or later in the week. Thanks.

  3. I was changed from SSDI in 2016 as I had turned 65 actualy in 32015. I also a widows penison as Im the widow of a veteran. This is SSA now. I tried to see about VA benefits but was denied. I only have $1149 a month. I live with my sister in law and pay her $500. and pay her $100 for part of the bill for the new windows that were installed. My brother was a veteran from the Vietnam era. He passed May 4, 2016. My husband was a Marine and passed April 28, 2003. He was a veteran from the Korean war. I was driving people so that they could drink but not drive, I had done this for 6 yrs in our community. So in Feb. 12,2015 I had one of the guys that I had known for about 3 yrs had told me that after we went to the Red Lobster that he excepted to have sex with me in exchange for my dinner which was $ 37. He had been telling me that one of us was going to be a different person on that night. Also had told me that all he had to do was make a phone call and his problem would be gone. So after he raped me and telling me this I never reported the rape until June 10, 2015. I wasn’ involved with any man since my husband’s death in 2003. So I now have been doing therapy at Community Reach for PTSD. I also see the psycharist about 2 months. This has been going on since Oct. 17, 2015. When I reported this to the Sheriff’s office the Detective in charge only called the predator who told him that nothing happened between me and him. When ever I talked to the Detective he would tell me that he was to busy doing a homicide case since Halloween in 2015. I talked to him on Nov. 23, 2015 and never talked to him after that. I called the adovacate who asked me who told me thatbthe Detective was to busy to work on my case. I told her that the Detective his self told me that on the 3 or so times I talked to him. So I started going to Community Reach Mental Center on Oct. 2015. Also I told 2 people(friends ) what had happened that night. Also in June 2015 I told the staff at Kaiser thst I had been raped in Feb. 2015. They told me that I needed to report it to the authorities. Not one of the places where I was being treated ever had me to do a rape kit or a pelvic exam. I had been in KS with my friend and coming back home I ended up at the ER at the local hospital. I had a UTI and was dehydrated. Also they did a Pelvic Exam on June 10, 3016. Also several other tests were done. I have the medical reprts for thst date but no one has ever seen this report as far as the authorities. Also I have all of the appt. cards for my therapy at Community Reach center. I talked to a supervisor at the Sheriff’s Office who told me it was not a good thing for me to keep on about trying to help me charge this predator. So how am I supposed to get over being raped when no one at the authorities level has ever helped me. They have told other people that I talked to them on July 31st, 2015. I wasn’t i Commerce City after I got my plates for my car. I went to Ft. Collins as we were awaiting r
    for my great grandson to be born. I than came home and waited fir some one to call for a ride home. Also earlier in June 2015 after I first reported this I was told that I had went to report this issue and that I was laughing and never finished reporting the rape. Again I dont know who thwy talked with but it wasn’t. me. The day U met with the adovacate I was in tears and i haven’t ever been with the predator. I was told that I was meeting up with the ptedator when I left the office. I haven’t seen the adovacate since I reported t h is on June 10, 2015. I have notebooks that I’ve written about this but was told that couldn’t be used as wasn’t sure if written in Fe. Or Sept. I haven’t read them since I started going to therapy so I don’t know for sure what I had written down. I can tell that I know the date and who raped me. I can tell you dates of other issues that I’ve had going on since 2008 to current. I can tell you about my stuff being stolen out of my car oin Sept. 2913 when I totaled my car. Also can tell you anout the car accident i April 2016 and when I hitbthe median on Oct. 18, 2016. I can tell you about being fired from Adams County in 2008. I. can tell you about the fire in the apt. complec in 2006. I can write this issue down without ever having a calender in front of me. I can tell you what this predatorbsaid that night. I can tell you that he tells people that I’m the crazy woman trying to acusse him of raping me. I can tell you the question that he asked me that night. I feel that because of this predator hevtook my freedom and the ability to have a car to drive any longer. He made so that I no longer can be in the bar because I don’t want to see him. I just want to be able to have a car so thst I can go places without having to deoend on family or friends. It.s ‘been almost a year since I had a car. I hadn’t driven since April 2016 til Oct. 2016. Than it’s been since Oct. 2016 to current. I don’t know why no one will talk to me about this issue. It’s been since 2015 and here it is Sept.2917. Thank you,
    Mary Adler

    • Hello Mary,

      Through the Older American’s Act, there may be a Area On Aging office in your state/local city. Contact them, they assist seniors and the disabled and they may have a program to assist you.

  4. To vote to end child poverty FY 18 http://www.title24uscode.org/hw.pdf

    To amend the federal minimum wage from $7.25 an hour 2009-2017 to ‘$7.50 in 2018 and 3% more every year thereafter.’ under 29USC§206(a)(1)(D).

    To amend the Adjustment of the contribution and benefit base in Section 230 of the Social Security Act under 42USC§430 to ‘There is created in the Treasury a Supplemental Security Income Trust Fund.’

    To tax the rich the full 12.4% Old Age Survivor and Disability Insurance (OASDI) tax on all their income to pay 16-24 million children growing up poor SSI benefits FY18.

    To experiment with FICA <15.0% to reduce Medicare Part A HI tax revenues received by the Hospital Insurance (HI) Trust Fund from the 2.9% payroll tax rate to 2.6% payroll tax received, and continue to reduce federal outlays for Parts B and D to 3% annual growth from FY 14 beginning FY 18 when a zero growth policy would take over for all three programs to try to keep federal health outlays under the $1 trillion limbo bar until national health expenditures are less than 10% of GDP.

    Thanks SSA, for publishing the online SSI application, for the homeless, without any In-kind-support maintenance (ISMs) and optional disability questionnaire, for speedy Income and Eligibility Verification System in Sec. 1137 of the Social Security Act under 42USC§132b-7.

    To end benefit attrition with a 3% Cost of Living Adjustment (COLA) rule every year inflation continues to run about 2.7% and the Trust Fund Ratio is greater than 20% under Sec. 215(i) of the Social Security Act 42USC§415(i).

    To make an exception to the rule to pay $777 mo. SSI a 5.7% COLA is needed from CY17, a 2.7% COLA CY18 followed by 3% COLA to $777 SSI CY19 and 3% COLA every year for the earnings of low income beneficiaries and workers to stay ahead of 2.7% average annual inflation.

    To raise the patient's share in nursing homes to the greater of $300 or 30% of benefits, by Treasury under 24USC§14a or fee under 24USC§414.

    To change the due date for the Annual Reports from April 1, April fool’s day, to the 'summer solstice June 20-21' in Sec. 1161 of the Social Security Act under 42USC§1320c-10.

    To amend the 1.8% DI tax rate starting January 1, 2019 in Sec. 201(b)(1)(T) of the Social Security Act under 42USC§401(b)(1)(T) to either 2.1% DI tax, or 2.0% DI tax if OASI pays $240.4 billion including 2.5% interest for CY09-CY15 to replicate to the extent possible revenue that would have been received if the OASDI tax had been properly adjusted by Public Law 112-96.

    To produce a federal budget surplus FY 18 by deleting the Allowances, Other Independent Agencies (on-budget and off-budget) and Other Defense – Civil Programs rows from the Government Outlays by Agency Ledger (GOAL) under Art. 2(2) of the US Constitution.

    Be it enacted in the House and Senate assembled

  5. Go get a fucking job n learn to spell go back to preschool n learn how to talk cuz I am tired of hearing bitches like u stupid Mary Adler complain complain complain ur a looser retard get out a here fucking bitch

  6. To end child poverty CY 2018

    A BILL

    (a) To amend the federal minimum wage from $7.25 an hour 2009-2017 to ‘$7.50 in 2018 and 3% more every year thereafter.’ under 29USC§206(a)(1)(D).

    (b) To provide 14 weeks of (unemployment compensation) paid Maternity Protection under ILO Convention 183 (2000).

    (c) To amend the 1.8% DI tax rate starting January 1, 2019 in Sec. 201(b)(1)(T) of the Social Security Act under 42USC§401(b)(1)(T) to either (c-1) 2.1% DI tax, or (c-2) 2.0% DI tax if OASI pays $240 billion including 2.5% interest in assets for CY09-CY15 to replicate to the extent possible revenue that would have been received if the OASDI tax had been properly adjusted by Public Law 112-96.

    (d) To replace the Adjustment of the contribution and benefit base under Section 230 of the Social Security Act 42USC§430 with ‘There is created in the Treasury a Supplemental Security Income Trust Fund.’ (f-1) To tax the rich the full 12.4% Old Age Survivor and Disability Insurance (OASDI) Federal Income Contribution Act (FICA) on all their income to pay 16-24 million children growing up poor in the US SSI benefits FY18 to End Poverty by 2020 HA-17-9-17 http://www.title24uscode.org/hw.html.

    Be it enacted in the House and Senate Assembled

  7. how about them taking social security from an autistic individual and telling them that that they are no longer autistic when you don’t just get over Autism it is a life long condition

  8. I appricate your interest in the disabled or ssi recepients I am of course one of them but I never thought that I wouldbecome a victim to abuse I rent the land but own the mobil home I have hire many contractors that repaired what I asked only to have it destroyed 7 days later I am not married to these people where I seem to be getting divorced at seven days my home is in dier need of the same repairs and I am afeaid of asking for help because my money is going out and the repaire are no9t done. do you have programs for section 8 or vouchers to move since my polace is being ruiened out of greed sincerely Margaret Ketterer

  9. Why is Social Security change my disability to regular Social Security without my permission. I did not want it change until I turned but they said I had no choice. I want to know why I had no choice?????

  10. Rep Jimmy Gomez Xavier Becerra Kamala Harris thank you for understanding this kids kids and disability health care insurance older and disability health care insurance older and disability health care insurance older and disability health care insurance older and disability health care insurance older and disability health care insurance older and disability health care insurance older and disability health care insurance older and disability health care insurance older and disability health Care system benefits insurance say yes CR bills and budget too 2018 to 2028 years eastern los Angeles regional eastern los Angeles regional center P.O. 7916 Alhambra ca 91802 -7916 telephone 1-626-299-4700- fax 1-626-281-1163 sign Bryanmiranda1028@gmail.com Rep Jimmy Gomez Xavier Becerra Kamala Harris wwe investor stakeholders 2327 Ridgeview ave home care center los Angeles ca.gov 90041 http://www.sba.gov ww.ssa.gov usa.gov wwe.com http://www.dor.ca.gov Congress.gov sign Bryanmiranda1028@gmail.com

  11. My husband has mild dementia and I have had to start taking care of bills and now taxes. We cannot find our
    1099 form for both our SS information for the year
    Gordon Henry Kennedy
    Georgia Gail Kennedy

  12. on social security disability and pay HIGH premiums for health care can I claim them on taxes for refund? I have nothing else to claim, I am told yes because I pay over 40% of my income but no because I have nothing else to claim?

  13. Hi my name is Trevor. I am a 38 year old on SSI, but on on my statements where the social security number is at the right hand top my last two letters are d I which stand for disability. I need help finding a place without going through these waitlist is there anything quicker that I could get into possibly for that I am homeless?

    • Hello Trevor, individuals receiving disability benefits may also be eligible to receive social services from the state in which they live. These services include Medicaid, free meals, housekeeping help, transportation or help with other problems. You can get information about services in your area from your state or local social services office. Or you can visit the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services web page for more information.
      We hope this helps!

    1758 LUSITANA
    HON., HI. 96813-1657
    61 AND 7 MOTHS OLD.

    • Hello Steven. Unfortunately, but for security reasons, we do not have access to personal records in this blog. Please continue working with your local office. You can request to speak with the manager to see how we can help to expedite resolution of your situation. If you are unable to visit the local office, you can call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213, representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Generally, you will have a shorter wait time if you call later in the week. Thanks!

  15. What do i need to do to become my sisters payee because her payee is no longer able due to age and health reasons? I need to know asap because she didn’t receive her monthly beneficent on the 1 of October 2018 and she has no other income for her bills .

    • Hello Mary. A face-to-face interview is required and you must apply for and be appointed as a Representative Payee by SSA. We will -also- need to contact the beneficiary and the current payee. Please read our publication: A Guide For Representative Payees for more information.
      If you have specific questions, or to make an appointment, please call 1-800-772-1213, Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. to speak to one of our representatives. Or you can contact your local Social Security office directly. Thanks!

  16. Hi this is Rose Billodeau I’m asking this question for my mom Susan Miller she doesn’t have a state ID nor does she have ss card but she does have a birthday certificate if she goes to the sheriff’s department and take a picture for a picture id that stays good for 1 year would she be able to use that to get her ss card and ssi coming in???

    • Hi Rose. First of all, before your mother goes through the Social Security replacement card application process, be sure that she actually needs a replacement card. Individuals rarely need to show it. Usually just knowing the Social Security number is what is important. If she does indeed need a replacement card, we prefer to see a current (not expired) government issued document with a picture, as proof of identity for a replacement Social Security card. If your mother does not have one or cannot get one within a reasonable amount of time, we may be able to use other documents such as:

      •Employee identification card;
      •School identification card;
      •Health insurance card; or
      •U.S. military identification card.

      All submitted documents must be original or certified copy, cannot be expired and must show the person’s name along with other identifying information (date of birth or age).

      To see if your mother is eligible to apply for a replacement Social Security card online or to learn more on the process and what documents are needed to get a card, please visit our “Social Security Number and Card” web page.

  17. I got released from prison back on February 2 2018 and I made my friend my payee and I’m leaving the state so I would like to go back to being my own payee I need help to fix this before I leave in January 2019

    • Thank you for using our blog to ask your question, Kristen. If you have a representative payee because of a physical or mental disability and you want to become your own payee, you must show Social Security that you are now mentally and physically able to handle your money yourself. You could provide: A doctor’s statement that there has been a change in your condition and the doctor believes you are able to care for yourself; or an official copy of a court order saying that the court believes that you can take care of yourself; or other evidence that shows your ability to take care of yourself.

      To make a representative payee change, you will need to visit your local Social Security office to apply.

  18. I do not understand why I have not been receiving my social security benefits for month of November. I have been on hold 2 hours and 3 hours was disconnected twice. I have been asked to send a check in July for “overpayment” which I did because again I was not able to get anyone to answer why. Please may I have an appointment to see someone at a local office

  19. Ive waited 6 years I’m 44 worked since I was 16 have had major back surgery both hips replaced have bad osteoarthritis can barely walk after 3 years and being denied I lost all my work credits so now trying for ssi still been denied saw all judge last August still no decision really isnt right that someone who absolutely needs it cant get approved. So I feel yall that have waited so long for another decision good luck to yall

Leave a Reply to Ray Fernandez, Public Affairs Specialist Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *