Online Services

Estimate Your Benefits Today for a Secure Tomorrow

April 19, 2018 • By

Last Updated: August 19, 2021

Whether you’re retiring soon or you’ll be in the work force for several more years, it is important to prepare for what the future holds. That’s where Social Security comes in. 

Social Security puts you in control with secure access to your information anytime, anywhere. You can get estimates based on your own earnings record to help you plan for retirement with our Retirement Estimator. It is a convenient, secure, and quick financial planning tool that allows you to receive the most accurate estimate of your future retirement benefits. Go check out our Retirement Estimator today to stay informed about your retirement options.

During National Social Security Month, take control of your future and see what you can do online. With easy, convenient, and secure online services, Social Security online frees up your time for the people who really matter.


See Comments

About the Author

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications


  1. Daniel J.


    I have completed my Social Security benefits application and wanted it to take effect on or after my 70th birthday, which was July 19, 2019. My name is Daniel J. Norton, social security # *** – ** – *** . My completed form seems to be ‘frozen’. How do I ‘sign it’ and submit it? Or is already submitted and simply provides no feedback to me via My Social Security?

    It seems to keep saying that I wanted my application to go back to March 2019. This is totally wrong. I wanted to start receiving my maximum monthly benefit at age 70.

    Please advise what is going on with this strange website app.

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Daniel. For your security, we do not have access to private information in this venue. We ask that members in our Blog community work with our offices with specific questions. You can call us at 1-800-772-1213, Monday through Friday, between 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m., for assistance. Generally, you will have a shorter wait if you call later in the day. You can also contact your local Social Security office. We hope this helps.

  2. james c.

    how are benifits computed? Is it based on 5yrs or 30yrs?

    • Luis A.

      Thank you for your question James. When a person applies for retirement Social Security benefits, we use the highest 35 years of earnings to calculate the monthly benefit amount. If the person does not have 35 years of earnings, we will use all of the earnings on the record.

      You can use our Online Retirement Estimator to give you estimates on your future retirement benefits. You can also create a personal my Social Security account to review estimates of your retirement, disability, and survivors benefits, your earnings record, and the estimated Social Security and Medicare taxes you’ve paid. We hope this helps.

  3. patrick p.

    what do I do if the birthdate on the ss paperwork you send me is wrong

    • Vonda V.

      Hi Patrick, thank you for your question. You will want to correct your date of birth on your Social Security record. To do so, you will need to apply for a replacement Social Security card by visiting your local office with required documentation. All documents must be either originals or certified copies. You will need to provide evidence of your age (for example, a U.S. public birth certificate) and current documentation for evidence of identity. See Learn What Documents You Need for a list of acceptable identity documents.

  4. Thomas L.

    Registering for my benefits has been an absolute nightmare. waited for hours at the local SS office, finally had to leave without being seen.
    Then held for 2 hours on the phone with being able to get through to and agent.
    Then tried to access on line and was told I did not have credentials that “matched SS records” so I was frozen out.
    Can someone please call me at (850) 982-7104 and help me?
    Lee Goodson

  5. Remona C.

    I am attempting to get a disability award letter, but I get a noticed that I am locked out of my account. Please help

    • Vonda V.

      Hi Remona. We are sorry that you are having trouble creating a my Social Security account. To pass the verification process, we match the personal information you give us with the data we have in our records. Then, we use our Identity Services Provider to further verify your identity.

      If you are locked out, you can call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. At the voice prompt, say “helpdesk”. We hope this information helps.

  6. Margaret K.

    My check was incorrect, I received $1344. And was suppose to get $1936. I am in a world of hurt. I have my bills paid automatically and they are bouncing. This has Never happened to me.
    I had spoken to a Miss Harris or Hill, she was going to speak to a Mr. Myer and call me back however I never heard back from her.
    My husband had worked for the Railroad and passed away over 2 yrs ago. This has Never happened to me before.
    If possible I would like to come and pick up the remaining $593.

    Thanks so much for taking the time to help me
    Margaret Nilles (husband was Raymond L Nilles
    XXX Golfview
    Sandwich Il Phone 815-570-XXXX

    • Ray F.

      Hello Margaret. Unfortunately, and because of security reasons we do not have access to personal records in this blog and cannot assist you at this time.
      Please continue working with your local office. You can request to speak with the manager to see how we can help to expedite resolution of your situation. If you are unable to visit the local office, you can call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213, representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Generally, you will have a shorter wait time if you call later during the day or later in the week.
      Just a reminder – We do not have access to personal information in this venue. Please be cautious about posting personal information on social media channels. Thanks.

  7. Millie H.

    Thanks for helping me understand that you can have an idea of your estimates by checking your earnings. With that in mind, I guess I would still seek the help of experts because I might miss something. I just need this money because I am too broke due to the separation of my husband and I last year.

  8. Vivian C.

    I would like to comment in favor of the hard-working employees of the SSA. Every employee that I’ve spoken to has been professional, courteous and knowledgeable. I receive spousal benefits and my husband collects full benefits. We had no problem with the process of starting our benefits.
    Please consider that long phone wait times are the result of short staffing and the inability to hire adequate help due to lack of funding. Please contact your congressmen if you are concerned about long wait times. They are the ones who holds the purse strings.

  9. Carol C.

    I cannot change my password, since I do not remember. It keeps saying try again later, I am locked out?

    • Vonda V.

      Hi Carol: We are sorry that you are having trouble with your my Social Security account. See our Frequently Asked Questions web page for information on how to retrieve or change your password.

      If you encounter a problem or you are locked out, you can call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. At the voice prompt, say “helpdesk”. We hope this information helps.

  10. azhar a.

    this is a test

Comments are closed.