Online Services

Appeal Your Non-Medical Decisions Online

December 12, 2016 • By

Reading Time: 1 Minute

Last Updated: December 12, 2016

woman on her ipadSocial Security has a new way for you to conduct business with us online. You no longer need to visit our offices or call us to appeal a denial or adverse action related to your benefits. Beginning December 10, 2016, you can file an appeal online for non-medical issues, even if you live outside the United States. Examples of non-medical appeals include those for overpayments and Medicare premium rates.

The online appeals application is simple, convenient, and secure; it guides you through every step of the process. From outlining your rights to an appeal, to publications on the appeals process, a fair review of your case is right at your fingertips. The online application also lets you upload supporting documentation and save your submission.

Submitting your appeal and necessary documents online will save time and can help expedite the decision. Here are some things you’ll need when you’re ready to submit an appeal:

  • Notice date or receipt from Social Security that explains what adverse action you wish to appeal; and
  • Supporting documentation you wish to add to your request for appeal.

You can learn more about our appeals process by reading our publication Your Right To Question The Decision Made On Your Claim.

Social Security is constantly looking for ways to make our services accessible and readily available when you need them. It’s part of our commitment to delivering excellent service and providing you with more options, like an online appeal, to conduct your business.

Tags: ,

See Comments

About the Author

Jim Borland, Assistant Deputy Commissioner, Communications

Jim Borland, Assistant Deputy Commissioner, Communications


  1. Mark A.

    I Was Approved For Social Security Disability But My Back Pay Was Split Up In Payments Like My Monthly Benefits ! I Received A Little Less Than Half Of My Back Pay And I Was Told By The Brockton Branch Christy Dr That The Other Portion I’D Receive In January Of 2019 ! I Was Appalled that I Was Denied The Other Portion Of My Back Pay Disability Benefits As A Segment Of The Policy States That “I Have The Right To Receive My Back Pay Earlier Than Scheduled !” My Living Situation Is From Friends Home To Homes I Am Disabled I Own An Expired Drivers License I’ve Earned A Bachelor’s Degree & Master’s Degree Credits CPR CNA CPA Certified A Business Owner 10+ Years Resident Of Massachusetts And More ! With One Lump Sum Would Have Enabled Me To Rent Being Un-homeless I’d Renew My Drivers Licence Pay Bills Buy Clothes Food And More ! All Of The Above Are Policy Stipulations Or Requirement To Receive All Of My Back Pay Not Scheduled Portions, Yet A Female Agent Backed Up By A Male Supervisor In The Brockton Branch Denied My Request For Early Than Scheduled ! Please Help…Thank You !

    • Vonda V.

      Thank you for contacting us, Mark. Unfortunately, and because of security reasons, we do not have access to personal records in this blog and cannot assist you.

      To inquire about back pay, you will have to contact your local office or call our toll-free number at 1-800-772-1213. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Generally, you will have a shorter wait time if you call later during the day or later in the week.

  2. Lester P.

    Looking for an appeals form concerning the amount of my benefit. I had gone to my local office and was given the amount I would receive, and then the amount that was issued is different. Do I need to go back to my local office to resolve this?

    • Ray F.

      Hello Lester, you can complete and sign the “Request For Reconsideration” form. You can take or mail the form to the local office. Generally, you must submit your request within 60 days from the date you received your “award letter” or the notice of our decision.
      For further assistance, call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213, Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Thanks!

  3. Carmen A.

    When it says “A medical decision has been made…” what does it mean?

    • Ray F.

      Hello Carmen, it means that a medical determination has been made. Part of the process is complete. You should receive an “official” notification by mail soon, informing you of the results of the disability determination.
      For further assistance, please call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Thanks!

  4. Lesly F.

    I need to know if decision on my appeal case can be deside by the judge before the appeal date it’s so long for the hearing.

  5. suzanna m.

    has there been a decision on my appeal for an over payment

  6. suzanna m.

    re been a decision on my appeal for a over payment

  7. Joseph B.

    Is it true that a part b premium can be waived if income changes?

    • Ray F.

      Hi Joseph. Please visit the Medicare website to learn about programs available to assist people with low income to pay for Medicare expenses.
      Many states also have programs to help with Medicare payments. You can find out about them by calling your State Medical Assistance Office. To get the local phone number, call the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services at 1-800-633-4227 (TTY, 1-877-486-2048). Thanks!

  8. Kim

    I may need help filing suit against SSA over a recent action and would need guidance from anyone who has been in same situation. I’ve been permantly disabled about 12 yrs now and receiving SSI disability without issues. This past yr I had the only update required out of the blue and was given a phone interview due to my medical disabilities one being long terms of bad months not allowing me to leave my home. They claim they could not find that interview and requested handwritten answers to questions on their form which I’m unavle to perform due to limitations of hands/fingers and forced violation upon my HIPPA rights if I ask another person to fill it out for me. No one offered another phone interview is allowed when asked for one. They now haulted my payments and I’ve filed an appeal but have not been contacted or kept updated on any of it at all. I have no clue whether my appeal was seen us in motion or anything at all and I requested to continue to get payments during the appeal and haven’t heard a thing on that either. They are taking time to give me a hard time over this yet they were supposed to start giving me my grandmother’s SSI 2 years ago and haven’t heard a peep from them about that. Anyone know how I would start process for that to get also backowed from 2 years ago?

  9. Dave

    Just waited over 2 hours on hold to be dropped. I lost time at work to make that call. Thank you SSI

    • Ray F.

      Our apologies, Dave. We’re sorry that you had difficulty reaching someone by phone. We may have been experiencing higher than normal call volume. Representatives at our toll-free number, 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Generally, you will have a shorter wait time if you call later during the week or later during the day. Remember, many services, including applying for retirement, disability and Medicare benefits, are conveniently available anytime at our website. You can create a my Social Security account to review your earnings record and to get estimates of your future benefits. Also, we respond to questions and provide general information about our programs, through our Blog and Facebook page. If you have a general question, we encourage you to ask here. But remember, never post personal information on social media. We care about our customers and our representatives are working as fast as they can to resolve all inquiries, process new claims, and reduce backlogs. We hope you try us again.

  10. charles m.

    amazing how appeal document will not appear when requested Typical and disgusting

Comments are closed.