Online Services

Access My Social Security From Your Home

July 9, 2020 • By

With so many services available online through my Social Security, signing up for a secure account will help you conduct Social Security business from home.

With your personal my Social Security account, you can:

• Estimate your future benefits with our Retirement Calculator to compare different dates or ages to begin receiving benefits;
  • Check the status of your Social Security application;
  • Review your work history; and
  • Request a replacement Social Security card (in most States).

If you already receive benefits, you can also:

• Get a benefit verification or proof of income letter;
  • Set up or change your direct deposit;
  • Change your address;
  • Request a replacement Medicare card; and
  • Get a Social Security 1099 form (SSA-1099).

You can even use your personal my Social Security account to opt out of receiving certain notices by mail, such as the annual cost-of-living adjustments and the income-related monthly adjustment amount notice.  Instead, through the Message Center you can receive secure, sensitive communications.

Let your friends and family know that they can create a my Social Security account today.

Tags: , ,

Darlynda Bogle, Assistant Deputy Commissioner

Darlynda Bogle, Assistant Deputy Commissioner

Darlynda Bogle, Assistant Deputy Commissioner

Comments

1. Mary F Nash

Will I receive the original driver’s license and birth certificate back when I mail my forms for my new social security papers ? I need my driver’s license to drive and for identification.

Hi Mary, thanks for using our blog. You may want to check with a representative at your local Social Security office regarding a potential time frame of when your documents may be returned. Please look for the general inquiry telephone number at the Social Security Office Locator. The number may appear under Show Additional Office Information. Please be aware that our call wait times are longer than normal. We hope this information helps.

2. Sally E Peavey

I have an account but I am locked out because you have to change passwords etc every time I try to access.

Hi Sally, thanks for using our blog. We are sorry that you are having difficulties with your my Social Security account. If you are locked out, you can call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) or you can contact your local Social Security office. Please look for the general inquiry telephone number at the Social Security Office Locator. The number may appear under Show Additional Office Information. Please be aware that our call wait times are longer than normal.

The good news is that the passwords for my Social Security accounts no longer expire. We hope this information helps.

3. Carole

How can I request a call back to speak to an agent

Hi Carole, thanks for using our blog. You can click on “Ask a Question” or “Talk to an Expert” for a call back when you’re logged into your my Social Security account. We hope this helps!

4. EDWARD DESATNIK

I need to change my bank account number for my social security and medicare direct depositits

Hi Edward, thanks for using our blog. Check out our Frequently Asked Questions web page for details on how to change or sign up for direct deposit. We hope this helps!

5. Catherine BW Rodgers

cbwrodgers@gmail.com
    I Can Not Get Into My Account, So I Re-Start Another Account?????

Hi Catherine, thanks for using our blog. Check out our Frequently Asked Questions web page for details on how to retrieve or change your username and password. If this doesn’t work and you still need assistance, call us at 1-800-772-1213 or you can contact your local Social Security office. Please look for the general inquiry telephone number at the Social Security Office Locator. The number may appear under Show Additional Office Information. Please be aware that our call wait times are longer than normal. We hope this information helps.

6. Linda A Barnhart

I am wondering how long will it take for me to get benefits for my husband after he passed away. I get ssi and he got ssi and social security. I applied for widows and survivers benefits.

Hi Linda, thank you for using our blog to ask your question. You can log in to or create a my Social Security account to check the status of your application online.

If you are unable to check your status online, you can call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) or your local Social Security office. Please look for the general inquiry telephone number at the Social Security Office Locator. The number may appear under Show Additional Office Information. Please be aware that our call wait times are longer than normal. We hope this information helps.

7. jamie burgin barger

Do i have to report my husbands income .i recieve disability but he doesnt.

Hi, Jamie. Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits are based on earnings and are not subject to income and resource limits. Your husband’s income will not affect your SSDI benefit but would affect a person’s Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefit. For more information, visit here. We hope this helps.

8. Sukkari Al Qornee

Good Article, I like reading it. Thank you for sharing

9. Jenny Germosen

Hi, I just moved to NY and need my SSN for the first time as a resident but haven’t been able to get it. The SS office told me I have to wait until they open because They need to see me in person to request my first SSN, so when will that be? In the mean time I cannot apply for a decent job or request any service as everyone asks for SSN!!!! I need help in this matter.

Hi Jenny, thanks for using our blog. We continue to process Social Security Numbers and issue cards for certain lawful immigrants, we call these processes Enumeration at Entry (EAE) and Enumeration beyond Entry(EBE).

If these automated processes are not available to you, we will schedule an in-office appointment for a new card request for those with a critical need. Appointment availability is based on available staff and office operating status. Please call your local office to see if an in-office appointment is necessary and possible. To contact your local office, please look for the local office telephone number at Social Security Office Locator under “Social Security Office Information” for the office you select. The toll-free “Office” number is your local office.

10. Ephraim B. Aliegbe

I need replacement Security Card. I lost my card.

Hi Ephraim, thank you for using our blog. First, realize you may not need a replacement card. You will rarely need to show it. Knowing your Social Security number is what is important. However, if you must get a replacement card, you may be able to apply online. Visit our Social Security Number and Card page to learn how. If you cannot request a replacement card online, call your local office and request that we mail you an SSN printout instead of a replacement Social Security card. Unfortunately, we are unable to process replacement Social Security card requests by phone at this time.