Online Services, SSI

A Constant Quest to Improve Our Online Services

May 23, 2016 • By

Reading Time: 2 Minutes

Last Updated: July 29, 2021

Graphic of address bar on computer with cursor arrow, Shooting computer screenWe know you’re busy and need ways to be more productive. Our online services make it possible for you to conduct business with us when and where it’s convenient for you. Our goal is to provide you with world-class service and our online services are a convenient, cost-effective, and secure way for us to better serve you. 

On our website, you can apply for retirement, spouse’s, disability, and Medicare benefits. You can use our benefit planners to calculate your future benefits. You can also find answers to your frequently asked questions. You can even apply for Extra Help to pay for the costs—monthly premiums, annual deductibles, and prescription co-payments—related to a Medicare prescription drug plan.

In addition, by opening a personal my Social Security account, you can keep track of your earnings and verify them every year by reviewing your Social Security Statement. You can get an instant benefit verification letter or one stating that you don’t currently receive benefits, never received benefits, or are waiting for an answer on your application for benefits.

If you receive benefits, you also can:

  • Change your address or telephone number;
  • Start or change your direct deposit;
  • Get a replacement SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S for your taxes; and
  • Replace your Medicare card.

We frequently review our online services looking for new and useful enhancements to meet our customers’ changing needs. Your feedback is important to us when deciding how we can better serve you, so use this blog to let us know.

We continue to use updated technology and innovative ideas to expand our online services at And although our online services can be handled easily from the comfort of your home or office, our in-person services are still available to you. We are committed to meeting your needs and preferences in how you like to conduct business with us.

Tags: , , , , , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Doug Walker, Deputy Commissioner, Communications

Deputy Commissioner, Office of Communications


  1. Fahmi N.

    American citizens who receive Social Security benefits, (Please take time to check how many of us are here) and live in Israel, can not benefit from the latest technology employed by Social Security, online access to accounts etc, especially if they don’t maintain a US address. How many senior citizens can keep and maintain two domiciles?
    I am saying the requirement to have a US address needs to be reexamined. Thank you.

    • Ray F.

      We thank you for your feedback Fahmi. Your comments are well taken and we assure you that we are continuously working to further improve Social Security online services that we offer via our website For assistance related to your Social Security benefits, please contact your local U.S. Embassy or Consulate. Also, our Office of International Operations home page provides more information to assist our customers living abroad.

  2. Jill M.

    I work with those folks who are turning 65. Many do not want to start collecting their social security benefits at this point. Is it possible for a person to sign up for their part B on line without signing up for benefits?

    • Ray F.

      Thank you for helping Jill. Individuals within three months of age 65 or older and not ready to start their monthly cash benefits yet, can use our online retirement application to sign up for Medicare ONLY and apply for their retirement benefits at a later date. If individuals already have Medicare Part A and wish to sign up for Medicare Part B, they must contact their local Social Security office or call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778). Representatives are available Monday through Friday between 7:00a.m. and 7:00p.m. To learn more about the Medicare enrollment periods visit, and read our publication “Apply Online for Medicare – Even If You Are Not Ready to Retire” . We hope this information helps

  3. Tom

    800# is frustrating at best. Office hours are way below the norm for an agency serving the public.

    • Ray F.

      Hi Tom. We apologize for any inconveniences. Sometimes we experience higher than normal call volume. Generally, when calling our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213, you will have a shorter wait time if you call later during the day or later during the week. Our representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Our offices are open to the public on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays until 4:00 p.m. Every Wednesday at noon, offices are closed to the public so that employees have time to complete current work and reduce backlogs. Remember that many services are conveniently available anytime at our website. Individuals can create a personal my Social Security account to get general information about our programs or manage their Social Security benefits. Also, we respond to questions and provide general information on our Retirement, Survivors, Disability, Medicare and SSI programs through our Blog and Facebook page. If you have a general question, we encourage you to ask here. But remember, never post personal information on social media. We hope this helps!

  4. Thomas N.

    Hello: Thank you for taking my email.

    I am trying to verify that my appplication for Medicare Part B is being processed. I have made telephone calls and received conflicting reports; send written correspondence to my local office and have not received any information. Please assist me in finding out; I applied in January 2016 and wish to be covered by July 1, 2016.

    • John O.

      You prefiled. You should get a Medicare card sometime in June showing your coverages.

    • Ray F.

      Hi Thomas. Generally, the Medicare card comes in the mail within three months before the month individuals become entitled to Medicare benefits. For further assistance and to check the status of your application, call our toll free number, 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) and ask to speak with one of our representatives, who are available Monday through Friday between 7:00am and 7:00pm. Thanks.

  5. Margaret K.

    I have had an easy time using the online services from internet explorer until today. The SSA website with not open at all. I have to use chrome, and nothing on the website works very well. The forms are smaller and don’t let me enter all the information (like the 2nd line in an address, the town and state).

    • Ray F.

      Hi Margaret, thank you for using our blog to communicate with us! The site appears to be up and running, please try again. Remember for assistance, you can call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778). Representatives are available Monday through Friday between 7:00a.m. and 7:00p.m. Generally, you’ll have a shorter wait time if you call later in the week.

  6. Bill

    Maddening!! For over 2 years I get notices with boilerplate explanation about how SS/Medicare owes me money, then another than says I owe SS/Medicare money. I’ve now ben waiting over 3 months for an official explanation of what is going on. Your site provides no exact history to permit me to “audit” the numbers. Last month I received a check and the next day a letter saying I owed the same amount plus $1500+ with NO EXPLANATION!!! I did no own calculations and spreadsheet and I believe you owe me money! Waiting to hear from some mysterious, faceless, nameless person (after visiting local offices numerous times). I’m sure I’ll get yet one more letter with boilerplate numbers and no explanation. Get it together!! You are dealing with real people’s lives and necessary income!!

    • Ray F.

      We apologize for the delay and inconveniences you are experiencing, Bill. Unfortunately, but for your security, we do not have access to personal records in this blog. Please continue working with your local office. You can ask to speak with the manager to see how we can help to expedite resolution of your situation. If you are unable to visit the local office, you can call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778). Representatives are available Monday through Friday between 7:00a.m. and 7:00p.m. Generally, you will have a shorter wait time if you call later in the week. Thanks.

      • martha

        I am my adult son’s guardian and rep payee. Dealing with the dysfunction and craziness of the SSA is a full time job . The people a re nasty. If you for some reason cannot attend an “ordered” appt about which you had no input. they will not let you reschedule for anoter time (though the letters say they will) instead, one hasto then just come in and either arrive 2 hours before the office opens so that they can get out befor noon. Or go there when the office opens and pray that they will actuall be seen and can leave by the end of the business day. It is a demoralizing and exhausting and inefficient system that is in its sum total of experience is dehumanizing and abusive to its clients.

      • Linda D.

        I simply need a fax number to send a change of address form. I did something wrong on my online account and use it again for 24 hours. I’ve been looking for a fax number and can’t find a fax number.

        • Vonda V.

          Hi Linda. Thank you for using our blog. Check out our Frequently Asked Questions web page for details on how to change your address. Thank you!

  7. Judy H.

    I have been trying to change my e-mail and password for Ever and can’t. I have call SS and they are no help. What can I do?

    • Ray F.

      Hello Judy. If you are having difficulties with your personal my Social Security account, please call 1-800-772-1213 for assistance. After you hear “Briefly tell me why you are calling,” say “Help Desk” for help with a my Social Security account. Sometimes, it might be best to visit your local Social Security office for further assistance.

  8. Linda

    The site is VERY frustrating in that the only breakdown of payment history (gross, fed, state tax, Part B premium) is for the current month. We have varying amounts over a few years and it’s impossible to go back and determine the exact figures. SS should think like a credit card company. Every payment or reimbursement should be in its history — accessible to every client.

  9. Henry Z.

    I am concerned about hackers when I need to utilize! That’s why I will not use it!

    • Ray F.

      We understand your concern Henry. We take protecting the public’s personal information very seriously. All of our online applications use an identity verification process to protect the privacy of your identity and your Social Security information. Using our online services at to file for benefits is safe and secure. In addition, our goal is to provide helpful information to as many people as possible.

  10. Raul

    The service so far its been great ! keeo doing it !!! Thank you

    • Ray F.

      Thank you Raul! Your thoughts are important to us and we’re pleased when feedback is positive. We try hard to provide the best possible service to our customers and your satisfaction is our reward. Please continue to use our services online.

    • sus

      Social Security….I just found out and tried to do spouse’s benefits online……your system locked me out soooooooooo many times that I spent 48 mintues on the phone to try to resolve the issue….come to find out I can’t do DIVORCED spouses benefits and this is why I was locked out soooooo many time….don’t you think it’d be a good idea to STATE THIS SO OTHERS WON’T HAVE TO GO THROUGH HOURS trying to figure out what happened….I was told over the phone I couldn’t get divorce spousal benefits….have to wait til he dies…..geez.

      • John O.

        And that is what’s wrong with filing online for everything. In addition the more services that can be provided on line the fewer the employees in the field offices which further deteriorates service. End result an incorrect answer to your inquiry. If you are divorced, but your marriage lasted 10 years or longer, you can receive benefits on your ex-spouse’s record (even if he or she has remarried) if:
        You are unmarried;
        You are age 62 or older;
        Your ex-spouse is entitled to Social Security retirement or disability benefits and
        The benefit you are entitled to receive based on your own work is less than the benefit you would receive based on your ex-spouse’s work. He does not have to be dead.

      • Raymond C.

        Having worked for local government and customer service, I suspect that the SSA is well aware of these difficulties that are foisted upon us. I also believe that it is more an issue of image building and presentation rather that a genuine concern for excellent customer service. The solutions are in place for these barriers to be dismantled but the “political” or management drive is absent.

    • laurel b.

      I am a Benefits Counselor and work with adults with autism. Many do not have a credit history. We are not able to sign them up for the online service. If there was a solution to this, it would be extremely helpful as many of the local benefit programs require proof of New Benefit Amounts and 1099’s.

      • martha

        Many of them also also live in group homes where they are denied internet access!!!

Comments are closed.