Online Services, Social Security Number and Card

100,000 Have Replaced Their Social Security Cards Online

October 13, 2016 • By

Reading Time: 2 Minutes

Last Updated: August 4, 2021

issnrc-100000Losing an important document, like a Social Security card, can sometimes be a hassle. But it doesn’t have to be. Social Security is with you throughout life’s journey, not just when you’re ready to retire. We’re here in the event that you need disability benefits, survivors benefits, a record of your earnings, and even when you need to request a replacement Social Security card.

And now, if you live in a growing number of states, you can request a replacement Social Security card online.  Our new online version of the Application for a Social Security Card can make getting a replacement super easy and stress free. It allows people in certain areas to apply for a replacement card through our secure my Social Security account portal without traveling to a field office or card center as long as you’re not requesting a name change or any other change to your card.

One hundred thousand people have already replaced their card through their personal my Social Security account. Yes, that’s right, 100,000! You can be one of the next 100,000 who replaces their Social Security card online, as long as you meet certain requirements.

Currently, the District of Columbia, Idaho, Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan, Mississippi, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, Washington, Wisconsin, Maryland, Arizona, and South Dakota provide residents with online access to replace their cards. Later this year we plan to add more states to this growing list.

To get started, you’ll need to create a personal my Social Security account. When you open a personal my Social Security account, we protect your information by using strict identity verification and security features. The application process has built-in features to detect fraud and confirm your identity. Your security and protection is what matters the most. Once you have a personal account, simply access your account and follow the instructions to replace your Social Security card. It’s safe, convenient, and secure.

Keep in mind that in many cases, even if you lost your card, you may not need a replacement. In most cases, simply knowing your Social Security number is enough. But if you do need a replacement, we make it easy.

Learn more about getting a replacement Social Security card and find out if you can request yours online by visiting our Social Security Number and Card page.

Tags: , , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Doug Walker, Deputy Commissioner, Communications

Deputy Commissioner, Office of Communications


  1. tammy

    I still have my original Social Security card from 1972, it’s like new because I have no use for it. No one will hire me because I am a physically disabled person. I have never received any disability benefits from the Social Security program, ever.

    I am 45 years old, a mother of three older children and physically disabled ( I was born with cerebral palsy ). I’ve never collected one red cent of money from the Socialist Security System, even though I have applied several times and they find me disabled.

    Technically, I am an “adult disabled child” (please look this up, it is NOT SSI or SSDI) but have never been able to secure any benefits whatsoever from the Socialist Security system, even under that program because I got married to an “Able bodied person”. The Socialist Security system is too busy paying benefits to some people who scam the system and worrying about adult disabled children (who they pay benefits to off of a parents record) marrying an able bodied person. This gives them the justification to cut off benefits to the adult disabled child because the husband (in theory) can now support the disabled person. This theory works great, if your husband is rich and you have no need for money but what it actually does, is to force two adults (one disabled one able bodied person) to live off of one income. In the real world, the socialist security system is forcing adult disabled children to only marry other disabled persons (and NO able bodied persons) at the threat of loosing any and all benefits that they are entitled to.

    If you are a physically disabled person (an adult disabled child) and you happen to marry an “able bodied person” you will be loosing out on a lifetime of benefits, all because of a one word “rule” that prohibits you from marrying an “able bodied person”. Best of all, they never tell you about their “Rule” so that they can justify cutting off any benefits that you may be due.

    Because you are physically disabled (adult disabled child) and you choose not to marry another adult disabled child or disabled person drawing off socialist security, you WILL LOOSE ANY AND ALL BENEFITS FOR LIFE. This means that the SOCIALIST SECURITY system is TELLING YOU WHO YOU ARE ALLOWED TO MARRY and who you are
    NOT ALLOWED TO MARRY! It is a discriminatory act “rule” and should be ILLEGAL!

    Even though I am permanently and totally disabled, if I marry an “able bodied person”, somehow that marriage makes everything ok and I am no longer considered disabled (in the eyes of the socialist security system). Magically (because I married an able bodied person), the pixie fairies come down and cure my disability, because now I can just go out and find gainful employment, no one will discriminate against my physical disability and everything will be grand, right? Somehow magically, marrying an able bodied person makes my physical disablility dissappear and now I am cured, right? WRONG!

    The issue is a special “Rule” that the Socialist Security System uses to discriminate against “certain” people. If you are a “physically disabled person” (AKA-certain people) and happen to marry an able bodied person, then the SOCIALIST SECURITY system will use special “Rules” to legally discriminate against you and deny you benefits, even if you appeal online.

    The SOCIALIST SECURITY system has caused me a lot of economic hardship all because I married an able bodied person. The SOCIALIST SECURITY system thinks someone who is physically disabled (permanently and totally disabled) marries an “able bodied person”, that somehow magically they are cured of their physical disability and two people can survive off the able bodied persons income. WOW, talk about a bunch of bureaucratic idiotic thinking, that somehow this would not cause a financial hardship….. amazing.

    The rules that the Social Security Administration uses to legally discriminate against persons who are “Adult Disabled Children” who happen to marry an able bodied person, are discriminatory. This is loosely referred to as the “marriage penalty” but I call it exactly what it is, a legal form of discrimination.
    I firmly believe this rule, is an act of bias, prejudice and discrimination against people who (by no fault of their own) are born disabled and happen to marry an able bodied person

    Please write your Congressional Representative and tell them to end this modern day form of Legal Discrimination. In this day of fairness and equality, there are still some people suffering from an outdated and oppressive bureaucratic rule.

    (PS. notice how the only thing any of these SOCIALIST SECURITY workers ever say are quotes of the rules or processes, like a worker drone. They are unable to address any topics that fall outside of their rule books). Typical bureaucracy and bureaucratic responses, like trying to argue over lost change with a vending machine!

  2. Burma

    There’s noticeably a bundle to know about this. I assume you made sure nice points in features also.

  3. Johnston P.

    What year was Social Security started to give out the SS card?

  4. Andrea.

    I recently became a US citizen, do I need to do anything about my social security card, do I need to report that now I’m a citizen ?

    • Ray F.

      Congratulation on becoming a U.S citizen Andrea! Yes, individuals should tell Social Security when their immigration status changes or when they become U.S. citizens. Even though your number will remain the same we will need to update your records. Please bring in your U.S. passport, or your Certificate of Naturalization to the nearest Social Security office or card center in your area.

  5. tony

    Medicare and the Veteran Administration pays rewards for reporting fraud, waste, and abuse. Social Security pays nothing for reporting fraud, waste, and abuse, so no one reports it. There is more fraud, waste, and abuse than what Social Security reports to Congress.

    • tony

      Social Security spent all of our money that they can’t afford to replace everyone’s social security card and telling people that they may not need to replace it if it gets lost.

  6. Christine S.

    I tried to create a “My Account” 0n this site. It wouldn’t accept it. I was told to correct my information. I double and tripled check my info and it was correct. What gives?

  7. Maryann C.

    I recently was notified someone tried to order merchandise while opening a credit line through Montgomery Ward using my social security number. My card is locked up. Fortunately they sent the info to my address and a copy of order. I immediately called the loss prevention and it was cancelled.
    Now I had to call credit agencies, and many other entities. Including SS.
    They just told me to call other places.
    Medicare needs a new system. Instead of having your ss# on Medicare cars it needs to have a new form of ID!

  8. mark r.

    Great .When is my next hearing concerning SSDI, SSI, etc. Sent all documentation to SSA Sabre Street, VA. BEACH, VA. Case review. Mr. R. Crawford, and one other . By OCTOBER 20,2016.

  9. Betty D.

    I am a retired Texas teacher. My husband of 60 years recently died and I will receive NONE of my husband’s SS Survivor’s benefits because of the GPO (Government Pension Offset). I have been told that because I would be receiving TWO Government pensions, I would be “double dipping.” I don’t see how that can be because the Federal and State governments are two SEPARATE entities, and Texas Teacher Retirement (TRS) is funded by us teachers plus school district matching. When my husband was alive, we did very well by being careful because we had both his SS and my teacher retirement. Now I am on my own, because of the GPO. Not all states have the GPO — Michigan and Nevada. Who determines that TEXAS must observe the GPO?

  10. Marc

    @Anne: if you’re disabled you can draw on your husband’s Social Security even if you haven’t reached retirement age. With respect to your 2 denials for SSDI in a year, obviously I don’t have all the facts but based on your post it sounds like you need to be asking your lawyer a lot of questions. Like, why were you turned down the first time? If it was because they needed more information or records, then your lawyer is not doing his job. The reason people hire a lawyer to apply for disability is because it can be a lot of work to get all your medical records, etc together. Any lawyer who is a specialist in this area knows this – as well as the tight deadlines and the very specific requirements set forth in the rules.

    Being turned down twice when you have a lawyer is not a good sign at all. Unless you know for absolutely certain that he is a SPECIALIST in this area- and far too many lawyers claim to be but have no idea what they’re doing, since this is an extremely detail-oriented area of law- then you simply CANNOT just sit back and wait for him to “handle” everything.

    I I would strongly recommend you consider handing your case over to a company that ONLY does Social Security disability applications and allow them to obtain everything from your lawyer. Someone needs to review his work, and QUICKLY. There are deadlines that must be met and they are short. Your statement ” I’m still waiting” suggests to me at least that he is not communicating with you.

    I’m a disabled former attorney so I know what I’m talking about. Contact Allsup immediately and find out what, if anything, they or anyone can do at this point. If your lawyer failed to properly handle your matter, he won’t be entitled to his entire feel- and further, if you’ve paid him anything for this, that’s already a red flag. They are not supposed to take any fee until you are approved or denied, it is not a ” pay as you go” matter, nor is hourly Billing the norm.

    Good luck- I wish you the best and hope you find the right expert to help you with this.

    • Mike

      Good advice! I am confused by her statement that she was denied twice in a year. That’s a very short time for 2 applications. My case took a few years by the the time it got to the hearing stage. Which brings me to my question. Could it be that her “being denied twice in one year” might be the initial denial, then he filed an appeal, which was the second denial. And her still waiting, could be the sometimes long wait for a hearing with a federal judge? This sounds likely to me, but her attorney is not communicating things to her very clearly. Which for me, would be grounds to find a new one, in itself. Also, I would like to note that an attorney’s fees in a ss case is paid directly to them by the administration, and deducted from the claimants back payv and cannot exceed $6,000.00. So the attorney should not receive ANY money directly from the client at all.
      Thanks, a good attorney will make sure that you are well informed. Mine told me what to expect every step of the way and made sure I very clearly understood exactly what was going on.

    • Dreama

      Thanks for the reminder about the Thankfully Reading event. I just signed up. I do;&8#217nt know exactly what I’ll be reading that weekend yet but it’ll probably be some of the many library books I have or maybe a chunkster or two. I think I have about three weeks off between the last day of the semester and the first day of the next. Hopefully I’ll get a lot of reading done. Today I plan on rereading a graphic novel and then read from some of my textbooks. Have a great week.

Comments are closed.