Online Services

10 Handy Ways to Use Social Security Online

December 7, 2017 • By

Last Updated: July 29, 2021

man at desk on laptopThere are many easy ways to use our website. Here are some common and not-so common uses:

Apply for Social Security benefits online, of course! This is the fastest, most convenient way to apply for retirement, spouses, disability, or Medicare benefits, without visiting a local office or calling to speak to a representative.

Want access to our latest news, retirement planning tips, and sound guidance? You’ve come to the right place – our blog, Social Security Matters. You can also connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and YouTube, where you can watch our popular videos.

Verify your annual earnings and review estimates of your future Social Security benefits when you access your Social Security Statement, one of the many services available with a my Social Security  account.

Numbers can tell a story. Our online calculators such as the Retirement Estimator, the Life Expectancy Calculator, and the Early or Late Retirement Calculator, can be found on our calculators page.

Lost or missing Social Security card? Find out how to get a new, replacement, or corrected card. In fact, you may be able to apply for a replacement card with a my Social Security  account, if you meet certain qualifications.

Noah, Emma, Liam, Olivia…are these the most popular baby names for 2016 in the U.S. or in your state? Discover the trends in baby names, or take our online quiz to help you pick the ideal name.

Do you have to pay taxes on Social Security benefits? How do I apply for Social Security retirement benefits? What is your full retirement age? Discover the answers to your Social Security related questions at our Frequently Asked Questions page.

Dream of moving to London, Paris, or the Cayman Islands? Learn how Social Security makes international payments and how you can do business with us from around the world.

Are you a veteran? Are you at mid-career? Or maybe you’re new to the workforce. Find out how we fulfill your needs throughout life’s journey on our People Like Me page.

If you like to read and prefer to know all the details, our publications webpage is a library of helpful information.

Simple, easy to use, beneficial, and always here to help you secure today and tomorrow, visit us today.

Tags: , , , , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications


  1. Zilda Vermedal

    My contact info is absolete. Your software off when i try to Access my social securit account online from Brazil.
    How can i get ti back?

    • Ray Fernandez, Public Affairs Specialist

      We are sorry for the inconvenience, Zilda. The “my Social Security” authentication system requires address verification as one of the essential criteria for issuing/accessing an account. People with APO/FPO/DPO addresses can create an account overseas, but our system does not support registration and account creation for users with a foreign address yet.
      For any assistance related to your Social Security services or benefits, we recommend that individuals living outside the United States contact the nearest Federal Benefits Unit or U.S. Embassy in their area. Also, our Office of International Operations home page provides more information to assist our customers living abroad. Thanks!

  2. Kathy

    how much can you earn wages and still receive ss benefits?

  3. Margaret Peterson

    Need papers so I can switch name from married to maiden. Got a divorce. Phone number 715-898-1673. Mailing address is 509 West Arnold Street Marshfield WI, 54449

    • Ann Clifton, Public Affairs Specialist

      Hi, Margaret. In order to change your name on your Social Security card, you must show us a document that proves your legal name change. If the document you provide as evidence of a legal name change does not give us enough information to identify you in our records, you must show us an identity document in your old name (as shown in our records). It is the identity document (also known as your ID) that we will accept if it has expired, however, we still will need to see proof (legal document) of the name change. We offer the option to mail your completed application with original or certified documents to your local Social Security office. Visit our Frequently Asked Questions for more information and to determine which documents you may need. Or, you can go to your local office to make the changes. Just a reminder – please be cautious about posting personal information on social media. We hope this helps!

  4. Ashley Maxwell

    Thanks for your comment about how you should look for a social security lawyer that offers your retirement benefits. I also like how you said that they should help you with taxes too. My husband and I are trying to help my grandparents find a good social security lawyer for their case; thanks for the post.

  5. elizabeth hamm

    I am moving. Can I submit my change of address online?

  6. Jacqueline R Trump

    I want to report ma change of address.

  7. Christine M Angerame

    How do I change my address? Also my last name will be changing soon through a divorce. How do I do that?

    • Ray Fernandez, Public Affairs Specialist

      Hello Christine, if you get Social Security benefits or are enrolled in Medicare, you can change your address online by using a my Social Security account. Also, if you receive benefits, you are required to report a change in marital status.
      Of course we can update your records and even process a request for a replacement Social Security card, at your local Social Security office. To learn more on the process and what documents you will need to get a card, please visit our “Social Security Number and Card” web page.
      Please call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 for further assistance. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Thanks!

  8. Lyn Heng

    Did I misunderstand or were we to receive new “safer” SS cards?

  9. Sven Prestbroten

    I’ve tried and tried to get on-line with Social Security, but to no avail. I get a notice that they want me to go paperless, NO CAN DO!! IT WON’T LET ME!!!
    Then I tried to call someone and try to get help, NOPE, nothing there either. So I guess I will waste earthly resources and have them send me a tree every three months. I think this whole thing is a scam.
    It’s pretty bad when you can’t even get the right department while on the phone. Transffered 3 or 4 times and then “CLICK”. All done! Well as for me….all done as well.
    Just a bunch of lying government workers who don’t do their job.

    • Ray Fernandez, Public Affairs Specialist

      We’re sorry that you’re having these difficulties. If you are still having trouble creating or accessing your my Social Security account, please call our dedicated my Social Security-Hotline. To reach this hotline, call 1-800-772-1213, Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. At the voice prompt, say “helpdesk”, or
      contact your local Social Security office. Thanks!

  10. Joe and Mary Welch

    I need a change of address from Kenner,La. to Slidell,La.

Comments are closed.