1 Month Until Tax Day. Social Security Can Help You Prepare!

March 15, 2018 • By

Reading Time: 2 Minutes

Last Updated: July 30, 2021

man and woman reading This year the tax return filing deadline, or Tax Day, falls on April 17. Individual income tax returns are due to federal and state governments. Social Security can help you prepare:

  1. If you receive Social Security benefits, Social Security provides you with an annual Benefit Statement, also known as the SSA-1099 or the SSA-1042S. A Benefit Statement shows the total amount of benefits you received from Social Security in the previous year, so you know how much Social Security income to report to the IRS on your tax return. If you misplaced your Benefit Statement or didn’t receive it by the end of January, and you currently live in the United States, you can get a replacement form quickly and easily with a personal my Social Security account.
  2. Do you own a business or help other people with their taxes? Our Business Services Online suite of services can help individuals and small businesses prepare for tax day. There, you can report employee wages and verify names and Social Security numbers for W-2s. It’s a free, convenient, and secure way to do business with us. You can also check out our Information for Tax Preparers site to find out all the ways we can help you prepare for tax day this year and in the future.

A personal my Social Security account helps you out several ways during tax season and beyond. In addition to getting your replacement Benefit Statement, you can check your Social Security Statement to verify your annual earnings are posted correctly. Errors in your earnings record could affect the amount of benefits you receive in the future. By verifying that your earnings were reported correctly, you are helping us keep your earnings record accurate. Sign in or create an account, and see what you all can do online with my Social Security.

Social Security is with you on Tax Day and throughout life’s journey. Visit us online today!

Tags: ,

See Comments

About the Author

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications


  1. Jose E.

    I am trying to help other people in my area, who can
    not keep a job, and are struggling to servive, some are
    @ 0, or below 0, with their mistakes, and trying to help
    them, I can not get my TAXES Filed! if they would not
    mess up so much, and leave me alone, I could finish
    my taxes, even with hot checks that have been issued
    to me buy a EMPLOYER, that I believe closed their
    Company, Scorpion D.C. LLC, and other days I worked.

  2. Michael C.

    Is the SS-Retirement benefit amount the same as SS-Disability? If not, which benefit is better for me?

    • Ray F.

      Disability payments are established at the highest rate possible, Michael. When you receive disability benefits under the Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) program, we will automatically convert your disability benefits to retirement benefits, when you attain your Full Retirement Age. The benefit amount will generally remain the same. Thanks!

  3. Debbie S.

    Danielle Sipes not site

    • AKA

      Contact the County Public Assistance Office.

  4. Debbie S.

    My daughter Danielle site needs extra help with childcare and extra financial help she is a widow from a sudden death my husband May of 2017 she receives his social security benefits but needs extra help because she’s single with a baby please help me by contacting me or sending me a link for extra help thank you her mother Debbie Sipes

    • Deena

      How is that not enough money to get by

    • Deena

      …and why is your daughter married to your husband

  5. Douglas L.

    Do a individual who have a annual income for less 12,000 a year that receive a 1099 have to file for Tax Return?

    • AKA

      Depends upon age, marriage or if filing separately over filing a joint return. Since this is an IRS question, why don’t you ask them?

      • christy m.


    • Ray F.

      Hello Douglas, see “Income Taxes And Your Social Security Benefit” for information on this topic.

  6. Kevin M.

    I get RSDI every month and I work part time. I have W2’s can I file for taxes? If I file for taxes and receive a return will that stop me from getting my benefits if my return is more than $1170 a month?

    • AKA

      If you don’t file you can not get a refund can you? Refunds do not affect Title II retirement benefits.

    • Ray F.

      No, Kevin. your tax return will not affect your retirement benefits.


    What is the income amount now where a person does not file, in a year. ?

  8. Ward P.

    Thank you for this information.

  9. George J.

    Do I have to file my social security benefits?

    • AKA


    • christy m.

      that is what i would like to know , i have got told by my family member’s i do not have to file because it’s taxes free. so for sometime i have not because what i was told , but when u file taxes they ask for it so i put all the info in and i get nothing back even with my w-2

  10. A. P.

    Why are Social Security benefits considered as Taxable Income??? Incomes while working were already taxed!!!

    • AKA

      Because most people take more out than they ever pay in. That’s why higher income earners can pay at their tax rate on part of their SSA (85%)

      • Peg

        Why should people have to pay state taxes when they are already low income bracket receiving Social Security? Rediculous!

    • dod

      The Soc Sec taxes you paid while you were working supported the Soc Sec benefits of those people who were already retired. Your taxes are NOT a form of savings account for your own Soc Sec benefits. Now that you are retired the Soc Sec taxes of those people who are presently working are allocated to pay your benefits. The working generation has always provided the benefits for the retired generation; it has always been a pay forward system. In the past there was a higher ratio of workers to retirees than there is now, and that was a good thing. That ratio has fallen sharply and the situation puts more strain on the pay forward system and causes many young people to think the system will be bankrupt before they retire. You can thank Al Gore for making up to 85% of your benefits taxable, before his vote that number was 50%.

      • SC C.

        Please keep out the politics.

Comments are closed.